• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tejay Van Garderen Discussion Thread

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Come on, that was an example of how to say beautifully that you have stopped believing in someone. TJ will be no more GT leader and the whole season will be subordinated to Porte. Of course if Riche will have some problems in one week race and TJ will be able to gain a decent result no one will stop him. For sure he will have less freedom and less support in BMC as a leader.

Re:

Urbi27 said:
Come on, that was an example of how to say beautifully that you have stopped believing in someone. TJ will be no more GT leader and the whole season will be subordinated to Porte. Of course if Riche will have some problems in one week race and TJ will be able to gain a decent result no one will stop him. For sure he will have less freedom and less support in BMC as a leader.

Of course he doesn’t believe in him anymore for GT’s. I doubt TJ honestly believes in himself. You can still have goals as a rider. I think BMC can realistically expect this from TJ. Stage races are still great contributions to a team. They don’t want him to just pick up Richie’s slack in one week races. They want him to win one.

Re:

Urbi27 said:

Richie rarely has problems in one week races as his record shows but the GTs are where he needs TJVG to step up and give him some support. If Caruso gets dropped Porte has no one usually. Richie only has one race in his sights at the moment.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Urbi27 said:

Richie rarely has problems in one week races as his record shows but the GTs are where he needs TJVG to step up and give him some support. If Caruso gets dropped Porte has no one usually. Richie only has one race in his sights at the moment.

TJ supporting TLMRP is the same waste as the little man (or anyone else) supporting TJ :cool:

Or have you ever seen anything good to come up from two (GT) losers supporting each other?

movingtarget said:
Urbi27 said:

Jancouver said:
movingtarget said:
Urbi27 said:

TJ supporting TLMRP is the same waste as the little man (or anyone else) supporting TJ :cool:

Or have you ever seen anything good to come up from two (GT) losers supporting each other?

Porte was a very good domestique at Sky while TJVG never has been because he's always been a protected rider. When he has been expected to support his leader he has failed except at the 2012 Tour where he rode a better race than Evans and he was still riding very good TTs. TJVG is still young but nothing indicates that his GT riding is improving while time is running out for Porte before he goes back to domestique duties or concentrates on short stage races which are his strength. If Porte hadn't chased GTs he probably would have won a few more shorter races by now. I don't think TJVG should be on the Tour team because I'm not convinced he will offer much support. I think they should have let him stage hunt in the Giro like last year with no pressure. A stage win is better than a top 10 or 20 on GC anyway. I think BMC would have been better selecting a good domestique for the Tour. The fact that Dennis is riding the Giro doesn't look good for TJVG as Dennis is virtually a novice in grand tours but supporting Dennis and riding for a stage win would make more sense to me than watching TJVG go out the back early on every MTF in the Tour.

Jancouver said:
movingtarget said:
Urbi27 said:

Tiny Little Manlet Richie Porte? :lol:

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Jancouver said:
movingtarget said:
Urbi27 said:

:lol: :lol:

movingtarget said:
Urbi27 said:

It's a bit of irony that all help the one inconsistent GT GC rider has is another inconsistent GT GC rider...
But my guts tell me that this will be the year for Porte to shine as Froome will be out. Another problem with Porte always was that he was so used to ride for Froome, that he continued to do so even after he left Sky. Now this problem could be solved.

repre said:
movingtarget said:
Urbi27 said:

It's a bit of irony that all help the one inconsistent GT GC rider has is another inconsistent GT GC rider...
But my guts tell me that this will be the year for Porte to shine as Froome will be out. Another problem with Porte always was that he was so used to ride for Froome, that he continued to do so even after he left Sky. Now this problem could be solved.

The way Froome was attacking Porte in the Dauphine I think the whole best friend business is mostly BS. If Froome breaks away and Porte is the only one who can go with him, the chances are they are going to work together a certain amount if they want to keep the advantage. Sky and Porte critics see what they want to see.

movingtarget said:
repre said:
movingtarget said:
Urbi27 said:

The way Froome was attacking Porte in the Dauphine I think the whole best friend business is mostly BS. If Froome breaks away and Porte is the only one who can go with him, the chances are they are going to work together a certain amount if they want to keep the advantage. Sky and Porte critics see what they want to see.
It is not like been before, but i think somewhere very deep inside Porte's head there is an instinct to work for somebody named Chriss.

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

movingtarget said:
repre said:
movingtarget said:
Urbi27 said:

The way Froome was attacking Porte in the Dauphine I think the whole best friend business is mostly BS.

The way Porte reacted in interviews it was clear that the best friends thing was one sided from the beginning. I guess this relevation was no surprise for non-sky-fans.

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site

movingtarget said:
repre said:
movingtarget said:
Urbi27 said:

Sorry but why does froome wanting to win the Dauphine has to do anything with his relation to Porte?

drebelo said:
movingtarget said:
repre said:
movingtarget said:
Urbi27 said:

Sorry but why does froome wanting to win the Dauphine has to do anything with his relation to Porte?

Some fans seem to think that Porte will always work for Froome implying that they don't mind helping each other. Usually it's been more to do with the circumstances of the race. Froome was not helping Porte at all in the Dauphine he contributed to Porte losing the race.

drebelo said:
movingtarget said:
repre said:
movingtarget said:
Urbi27 said:

Sorry but what does this have to do with Tejay?

I honestly never expected anything from him. It sounds pessimistic since he is not even 30 but I think his days a GC rider is over. He should become a great stage hunter like Rolland and only target GC in home races such as California.

Dylan Teuns is BMC's new Crown Prince after King Porte. He have the potential to become a new Dan Martin. Great in classics, one week races and puncher-friendly Grand Tours (The Vuelta) ..

TRENDING THREADS