• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tejay Van Garderen.

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Do you think Tejay Van Garderen is overrated?

• It's all about the tarmac.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
richard_91 said:
I definitely think he could podium at some point in the future, a tour with a longish flat TT and he would take a bucket of time on a lot of riders.

It would help if BMC supported him better with climbers. He is a rider that would really benefit from having a train similar to what Sky did with Wiggins in '12.

Moviefan1203 said:
It would help if BMC supported him better with climbers. He is a rider that would really benefit from having a train similar to what Sky did with Wiggins in '12.

Wiggins won a soft tour which suited him (and TJ) very well. I dont think TJVG will benefit from a similar parcours in le tour. Long TTs are out of fashion

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure that is overrated,ok he's not the best climber in the world,but with a team and i mean a"team",cause BMC is everything but not a team,i think he could do better.

Maybe he is overrated.

If you listened and still listen to the two clowns on TV, he is a contender (NBC even listed Gerans as a contender as well :rolleyes:), so 'rated' has a lot to do with the build up and promo. We need a US guy at or towards the top to keep ratings high, bike sales going, et caetera. So if he is overrated, I don't blame him.

On the bike he is really good, podium quality and maybe he can win a GT if the course suits him. Several posts after yesterday's debacle (i.e. he's not a three-week guy) were unfair IMO. So yesterday,to me, his stocks fell, and he was underrated.

Bottom line: he's still young. Let's wish him the best and enjoy.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
MBotero said:
I'm not sure that is overrated,ok he's not the best climber in the world,but with a team and i mean a"team",cause BMC is everything but not a team,i think he could do better.

It would be hard to argue that BMC have not supported him. Stetina, Moinard and Velits have all been with him on the climbs for most of the vital parts until nobody has any team mates. The others have supported him well on the flat.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
It would be hard to argue that BMC have not supported him. Stetina, Moinard and Velits have all been with him on the climbs for most of the vital parts until nobody has any team mates. The others have supported him well on the flat.

He would have had Atapuma as well if he hadn't DNFed. Can't recall the reason for the DNF.

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

They've been terrible support and they ride like idiots. On his worst day, they spent all of their energy in the first half of the day protecting him like wore a jersey. They all pulled off early on the climb but found the strength for all of them to catch him and then TTT him back?

Avermaet attacked when TJ went down in one of the earlier stages.

They ride around him, sure, but they save no energy and ride like their world class only to end up blowing up well before he needs them to actually help.

Him and his team crack mentally before physically, which is easy to see when they're ****ing catching him or riding away from him on descents. Weird how they do that stuff yet disappear when he's on a climb and needs to make up time. It took three of them to close a thirty second gap on a descent and then they were gone.

They take up a ton of face time. You'll see Stetina doing his now patented Second Line off to the side of Astana at the base of a climb acting like he's pulling TJ up to a better position when you can see TJ hanging back behind his competition. It happens every climb. Stetina moves out to do something worthless at a bad time. I'm more confident in Phinney's ability to pace TJ up a climb than Stetina and Velits together.

Shame about Atapuma, though.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Armanius said:
Yes, the NBC Sports people vastly overrate TVG. He's good though. But not as good as Bob Roll thinks.

well American TV station has to root for US riders, I don't see any wrong with that. Just like SBS is hyping RP all the time before he really cracked.:eek:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He just had 1 bad day, and thats the problem, he always has 1 of them.

The trick is to better limit the damage on those days.. Usually it gets better when you get older

Also, I don't think the climb suited him.

Let's see how he handles Hautacam today - the most irregular HC climb in this Tour by a fair margin (even if most profiles don't show it).

TRENDING THREADS