• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tejay Van Garderen.

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Do you think Tejay Van Garderen is overrated?

• It's all about the tarmac.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Warhawk said:
Yep. If CN did an article about how Tejay ate a cheeseburger, there would be posts in the comments about how REAL winners eat hot dogs.
cant-tell-if-sarcasm.jpg

lol? 10 char

i actually think TJ gets the short end of the stick. he is not an explosive rider, so he is never going to be able to look like bardet or pinot attacking. and yet today and several other times this tour he has created the accelerations that drop riders (& valverde). i listened to both english and french eurosport and they said pinot did ALL the work. yes, pinot ended up doing MOST of the work, but TJ was relaying him quite a lot and was clearly on the rivet at the end... but he got absolutely no credit for it at all from the commentators.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Big Doopie said:
i actually think TJ gets the short end of the stick. he is not an explosive rider, so he is never going to be able to look like bardet or pinot attacking. and yet today and several other times this tour he has created the accelerations that drop riders (& valverde). i listened to both english and french eurosport and they said pinot did ALL the work. yes, pinot ended up doing MOST of the work, but TJ was relaying him quite a lot and was clearly on the rivet at the end... but he got absolutely no credit for it at all from the commentators.

thts becoz the commentators and ASO are biased towards french riders.

murali said:
thts becoz the commentators and ASO are biased towards french riders.

I think we can just accept as a valid assumption that [insert person or group X] is biased towards riders who are similar to [insert person or group X]. It's kind of a meaningless criticism. Not really much point to complaining that French media is biased towards French riders and American media is biased towards American riders unless you could somehow prove that, say, Polish media gives disproportionate coverage to Colombian riders or something. If you can do that, maybe I change my tune.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Moviefan1203 said:
He is very young, the goal is one day to win this race. But along with a better team he also needs better luck. His luck was downright awful this year.

He'll need more luck than Nibali got this year. It is difficult to imagine TJVG ever winning the TdF unless he becomes so much of a better climber that he'll, well... clinic.

Sciocco said:
He'll need more luck than Nibali got this year. It is difficult to imagine TJVG ever winning the TdF unless he becomes so much of a better climber that he'll, well... clinic.

There was a time I thought Evans and Wiggins would never win a Tour. If they can do it, so can Tejay. He will have to get better, but he also is only 25. He has plenty of time to hone his craft.

Moviefan1203 said:
There was a time I thought Evans and Wiggins would never win a Tour. If they can do it, so can Tejay. He will have to get better, but he also is only 25. He has plenty of time to hone his craft.

Exactly. Very good performance from Tejay especially with the crashes and bronchitis. The bronchitis especially will have blunted his climbing for obvious reasons.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Watching the NBC coverage that I DVRed, and they kept talking about how Van Garderen had a chance to get on the podium in the TT. Are you kidding me? :facepalm:

Idiots like those that commentate on NBC are why people say Van Garderen is over-hyped. :rolleyes:

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
IMO, anyone who finishes in the top 5 of a GT isn't "overrated", they are an elite level rider among the best in the world. I don't have any problem calling TJVG as a "contender" either. Not a favorite perhaps, but for sure worthy of being called a contender.

Hopefully this isn't getting into clinic territory but if cycling is going to be "cleaner" then you'd expect riders to have a bad day or two in a GT. I don't think TJ, or any other rider having a bad day in a GT makes them overrated, I think it makes them human. Plus, as others have mentioned he's young. If he stays healthy and motivated he has at least 10+ years to improve and maybe become a real favorite - or maybe not, but I have no doubt he belongs with the top of the elite; that small percentage of professional riders who could win a GT sometime in their career.

TRENDING THREADS