• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tejay Van Garderen

Just curious on getting some opinions on Tejay. Currently he sits 10th in GC in Settimana Ciclista Lombarda after stage 4 and seems to be off to a great season for Rabobank Continental.

Just curious about what you Euros think about his potential.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
CC: Great questions!! I am here in the states as well and really have been following Tejay for the past 2 seasons. I thought he had a good season last year and this year is going well it seems. The Rabbos must think highly of him because it seems to me that they don't stick with a rider if they don't think the talent/ability is there. Some of our Nederlanders could probably give great feedback!!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Had some good gc results last in some u23 and 2.2 races, seems to be a great talent. Van Garderen seems te be a Dutch name, anyone knows something about this?

Tejay is from Boulder Colorado and if I'm right is only 20, maybe even 19. What is interesting is that he chose to develop in Europe while most young American talent has stayed state side with Garmin's develpment team or now with Livestrong Trek.

The down side for us US fans is that we really have to dig for info and that is just stats while young kids like Summerhill, Stetina, Holloway, Justin Williams and Phinney get a lot of coverage.

A sysnopsis would be great.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
I have personally known Tejay and his father since he was a junior racing in Bozeman, Montana. He was a great kid and would ride difficult races of 100 plus K's in brutal Montana weather when he was just 10 and 12! All coming from his own determination. So His dad is from Holland originally. They now reside in Boulder area. I have not seen them for a long time but follow Tejay racing. I think Tejay may one day be a big time stage racer...he has the skills and drive. Time will tell.