• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tenerife

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Benotti69 said:
The argument I have been making is based on set up and the smoke screen of altitute training otherwise why bother being there in June. The High passes in Europe are not full of traffic at this time of year. There is a tried and tested setup to blood dope in Tenerife.

Plenty dope elsewhere, but someone is making money in Tenerife by teams going there, whether it is the hotels who are 'onside', the cops, someone in the airport, whoever it is it keeps the teams going there to 'prepare' and Teams feel more secure there to 'prepare'.
Now we get what you mean. This is seems rather likely, as there are quite a few teams that are starting to use Mt Teide for training camps and with the price of flights and the conditions there who wouldn't?

Does anyone know what customs there is like? Are they normally strict or can they be like some places where a few dollars gets a blind eye? My guess is that if it's EPO, HGH, IGF etc that's available there it's probably coming in the same way as the stuff for the rest of the tourists.

If it's the full banking process then that suggests someone may be running an arrangement.

Training camps at altitude and EPO

In order to use EPO without being caught by a surprise drug control, Manzano explained that a team training camp at altitude was the perfect place to do it, as living at altitude stimulates red blood cell growth. "But if you are at 46 percent haematocrit, you are not going to go up to 50 percent in 15 days," said Manzano. "Perhaps it was done to create a false appearance. The people have always been afraid of a scene, and panic at surprise controls at home. It's best to be away."

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/mar04/mar26news2

Whilst I've been muttering on about Manzano. I picked this up.

Not a revalation just interesting.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/mar04/mar26news2

Whilst I've been muttering on about Manzano. I picked this up.

Not a revalation just interesting.

Interesting? More like the pattern/answer/solution to the whole fiasco and the UCI just turned it head as if it meant nothing. Now we have Tenerife and still the UCI is turning it head or sticking their heads in the sand.

Can't wait till T&R (as if it would happen), the UCI would have to basically vanish as to not have to answer any of the obvious questions on these matters.

TRENDING THREADS