• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis is ridiculous

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
Andynonomous said:
Truth is, some do, and some don't. We can't say for sure who does , but some have A LOT more circumstantial evidence against them, than others.

I'm glad you retracted your claims about Federer being clean and agree fully with me (see the bolded part).

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Kokoso said:
So explain it to me please. Thanks.
First of: I agree that the claim about Berdych's legs is indeed just a step to far. Big muscles can be perfectly natural.

But your notion that Ped's would give an even growth on all his muscles is wrong (at least you seem to claim that, sorry if I misunderstand).

Muscles need training. If I take Steroids and only train my arms, my arms will grow stronger, the rest of my body not so much. Also, some natural abilities etc. will come into play (not everyone responds the same). So if Berdych has natural big legs, it's not a given that they would even grow bigger if he uses steroids. It depends on his training regime, his response etc.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Franklin said:
First of: I agree that the claim about Berdych's legs is indeed just a step to far. Big muscles can be perfectly natural.

But your notion that Ped's would give an even growth on all his muscles is wrong (at least you seem to claim that, sorry if I misunderstand).

Muscles need training. If I take Steroids and only train my arms, my arms will grow stronger, the rest of my body not so much. Also, some natural abilities etc. will come into play (not everyone responds the same). So if Berdych has natural big legs, it's not a given that they would even grow bigger if he uses steroids. It depends on his training regime, his response etc.

Thanks for explaining, even if you aren't spiroze. (Or in particular fot that

Berdych has natural HUGE legs. If not for that, I think he'd already won some GS. But he can't make his legs leaner, unfortunately.

By the way, whe playing tennis, I think you train your upper body, don!t you think?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
For Hewitt though, the fun was just starting. For an unexplained reason the ITF broke from usual protocol and chose to drug test players midway through the tie rather than after the final match. The Australians were told they could not shower and forced to wait while the home team was tested first.

Hewitt was then directed to give numerous samples as his best efforts were judged to be unsatisfactory. After a wait of over an hour and a half the Australian team emerged from their dressing room stony faced.

Hewitt left a French TV crew in no doubt about his mood. He later told Australian media he found the process "mindboggling".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/t...in-davis-cup-tie/story-fnibcgxs-1226815920097

Seems pretty ridiculous to me...

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Seems pretty ridiculous to me...

Hewitt's criticism's aren't as strong as Murray's a couple of years back but anyone who criticises the drug testing in a sport with testing as inept as tennis is very suspicious.

The financial loss alone from every time he loses to Nadal would make calls for more stringent testing worth it.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
For anyone interested here are some comments that highlight Murray's dramatic and hypocritical change in attitude to drug testing around the times of Operation Puerto and the Lance Armstrong scandal:

"I have been quite vocal about getting things improved and sorted and I think they are starting to take it seriously/I don't think it (the drug testing) was very good before. It was pretty useless".

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/oth...g-testers-have-stepped-up-action-8799294.html

Compared to his comments in 2009 calling for less tests:

"I just wish that out of competition drug testing was done in the off season and they just test us at every single tournament".

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/feb/10/andy-murray-drug-tests

Murray is an unusual case. He's been making all the right noises re: testing for a while now and seems a long way removed from his old stance and comments yet he's also beefed up his upper body a fair bit in that time too.

Having said that it has happened relatively gradually and may well be in response to Nadal's physique. I certainly wouldn't put my neck out for him but you never know.

Sep 29, 2012
Briant_Gumble said:
Hewitt's criticism's aren't as strong as Murray's a couple of years back but anyone who criticises the drug testing in a sport with testing as inept as tennis is very suspicious.

The financial loss alone from every time he loses to Nadal would make calls for more stringent testing worth it.

In the middle of the match? Letting the locals get tested first? Sounded more like a calculated BS tactic to unsettle the opposing players to me.

Can you imagine stopping a TdF stage mid-race to do dope testing? I realise there are stoppages in tennis already, but this particular incident seems ridiculous to me.

I think there is some confusion here dear wiggo.

The Davis Cup as a whole is considered a "match", not the five individual matches. I think the testing was between the doubles (match 3) and the reverse singles (matches 4 and 5).

I dont think they stopped Hewitts match after the second set and asked him to pee in a cup ;)

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
In the middle of the match? Letting the locals get tested first? Sounded more like a calculated BS tactic to unsettle the opposing players to me.

Can you imagine stopping a TdF stage mid-race to do dope testing? I realise there are stoppages in tennis already, but this particular incident seems ridiculous to me.

Was it directly in the middle of the match or in the middle of the tie?

I thought it was in the middle of the tie as in on the second day of three at night time when usually they only test at the end of the third.

If it was one set all and they took them away to be tested that would be a legitimate grievance.

Sep 29, 2012
Briant_Gumble said:
Was it directly in the middle of the match or in the middle of the tie?

I thought it was in the middle of the tie as in on the second day of three at night time when usually they only test at the end of the third.

If it was one set all and they took them away to be tested that would be a legitimate grievance.

Yes my misunderstanding. In which case, not ridiculous at all, given the recovery drugs etc around. Perhaps still somewhat aggravating given other things he says, but between days is meh.

rogerg

BANNED
Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
:)
wso.jpg

sittingbison said:
I think there is some confusion here dear wiggo.

The Davis Cup as a whole is considered a "match", not the five individual matches. I think the testing was between the doubles (match 3) and the reverse singles (matches 4 and 5).

I dont think they stopped Hewitts match after the second set and asked him to pee in a cup ;)
In Davis Cup, countries play each other in a tie (a round) and the tie is composed of five matches, traditionally referred to as rubbers. Win three rubbers and you win the tie.

TRENDING THREADS