• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2014 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jancouver said:
Thanks! Time to check out those teams.

Anybody knows how can I see a list of all the teams for each rider? Or how do I figure out who got the most matching team?

I don't know how you can see a list of all teams for each rider, but if you want to explore which teams have a specific rider, you can do a search for that rider. When you search, choose "settings" and then search within the whole excel file (sorry I don't know what it's called because I don't have the English version of Excel).

Anyway, great we're getting started, and once again a big thanks to emcee and skidmark. Good job guys!

Great that "wizard_of_oz" takes the lead :D

Hugo Koblet said:
I don't know how you can see a list of all teams for each rider, but if you want to explore which teams have a specific rider, you can do a search for that rider. When you search, choose "settings" and then search within the whole excel file (sorry I don't know what it's called because I don't have the English version of Excel).

Anyway, great we're getting started, and once again a big thanks to emcee and skidmark. Good job guys!

Great that "wizard_of_oz" takes the lead :D

I echo my thanks to the great work done.
And to see who picked each rider, you can sort the 'popularity' sheet by column E (rider name). You can then see that John-Lee Augustyn, a rider I had on my long list as well, has been picked by these teams:
del1962
Ferminal
ingsve
ironted
jsem94
just_some_guy
Kazistuta
keithjamesmc
MCardinalR
minessa
olafjt
R_O_Shipman
rywann
SteelyDan
tanja
VeloRooms

skidmark said:
But here's the scoop - rider values changed slightly in the Dec. 31st update

The solution to this (for next year) is to simply ignore any changes on CQ after a given date. Let's work with the points according to the update of Oct. 31 for instance. This constant checking for minor changes at CQ is a pain in the *** and totally unnecessary.

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
fauniera said:
The solution to this (for next year) is to simply ignore any changes on CQ after a given date. Let's work with the points according to the update of Oct. 31 for instance. This constant checking for minor changes at CQ is a pain in the *** and totally unnecessary.

But some people (like me) use the website instead of a file to make their team, because it's just easier to handle.

I guess there's only one solution: set the deadline a few days earlier and don't post your team before the final spreadsheet is posted online and it's been made sure everyone's team is okay. If necessary people with mistakes can change them this way, and nobody had an advantage/disadvantage.

For this year, everything is been decided in a decent and reasonable way, and it's sad that people insult/say they are unhappy against people doing this effort WITHOUT GAINING ANYTHING. I can understand that makes you say you don't want to do that work anymore for such a person, although I'm quite sure he only said that to make a point.

Things have been taken way to serious, if everyone could just be happy with the 1. the fact that the game has begun, 2. the fact that the season had begun, 3. the fact that people volunteer to keep this all running. Then we can start enjoying the game, and take our 'critisizm'/'solutions' to next year to improve the rules. I'm sure everyone's open for debate, but not after decisions are made. It's fine the way it is, thanks.

DJ Sprtsch said:
And to see who picked each rider, you can sort the 'popularity' sheet by column E (rider name). You can then see that John-Lee Augustyn, a rider I had on my long list as well, has been picked by these teams:
del1962
Ferminal
ingsve
ironted
jsem94
just_some_guy
Kazistuta
keithjamesmc
MCardinalR
minessa
olafjt
R_O_Shipman
rywann
SteelyDan
tanja
VeloRooms

that's great i had missed the opportunity to do that (even if i have done the reordering process just havent realised the significance. in addition have you seen my PM about the youth game?

I have entered into a hopefully cordial* PM exchange with Jancouver and hope there can be a positive resolution to our dispute. (*in that I hope I have been cordial)

i strongly considered proposing the same as fauneria suggested even before things came to a head, as it would be a huge benefit to the organisers as well as the players. and would also be a solution to the problem of points scored in africa and asia (whose 2014 tours started last october). at the end of the year

but as NairoQ states , then there will be a disparity with the website and there is a certain purity in CQ score year 1 price - cost, CQ score year 2 -result.

yeah a moratorium on any criticism until the end of the game would be great.

Obviously after seeing what you wrote, I shouldn't have any chance to win this game since I didn't pick a lot of popular riders.

But I'm quite happy with my 'unpopular picks' since I'm pretty sure they all will improve this year. Let's introduce them

ROUX Anthony 427 exclusive pick
The frenchman suffered a back injury late 2012 and struggled with it for a year and a half. His Tour of Burgos showed us he was ready to go back to higher scores and should be a surprise this year
CARUSO Damiano 378 exclusive pick
He had a year in the shadow of Sagan but managed to finish 17th of the Giro with obvious qualities to do better. His 2013 season was a bit disappointing but he should be able to score more this year
SINKELDAM Ramon 229 exclusive pick
This young dutch, ancient winner of Paris-Roubaix Espoirs, should improve this year in the classics and since he can get some sprinting points too, I'm quite happy to be the only one to have him in my team
CORBEL Erwann 107 exclusive pick
A young french sprinter who should win a lot of points in the numerous french Coupe de France legs
REIJNEN Kiel 94 exclusive pick
His 2013 season in Europe was quite disappointing but he proved later on in the US that he still had good legs by winning two 1.2 and finishing 3rd at his Nationals. Could be a very good pick
DEMARE Arnaud 1056 2 picks
Only 2 picks for the next sprinting star. He should be able to improve his score since he proved himself talent for the cobbled classics. My only pick over 500 has to make me proud of him
JEANNESSON Arnold 287 2 picks
Arnold is going to be Thibaut Pinot's lieutenant next year but he still can get some results for himself. Wait and see.
PETIT Adrien 319 3 picks
Could it be finally the breaktrough year for Adrien? He's a regular sprinter but never wins. Can do well on cobbles too.
TABORRE Fabio 88 3 picks
Still in negociation with Neri-Sottoli, this italian puncher had a very bad year last year. Should he find a team (the contrary would be astonishing) he would improve (and maybe quite a lot) his last year score
AMADOR BIKKAZAKOVA Andrey 274 4 picks
The Costarician is in a big team and could be forced to work for others. But he is programmed for the Giro and also showed great input in the belgian classics last year. He could score well
KUMP Marko 101 4 picks
He discovered WT last year and should get more chances this year to score in a team who hasn't a lot of sprinters.
BELLETTI Manuel 167 6 picks
His movement to Androni could let him more options than at Ag2R. And since his race program could be less challenging, his score can only go up
LE MEVEL Christophe 52 8 picks
Finally free for his intestinal virus, we hope he can get back to his carrier. His 52 points last year were disgraceful.
JANSE VAN RENSBURG Reinardt 302 9 picks
Reinardt had a difficult start in the WT but showed finally at the very end of the season that he could be back on his winning streak.
APPOLLONIO Davide 98 9 picks
Davide Appolonio lost his fellow italian Belletti which means there is one sprinter less at AG2R (Daniel should be too unexperienced at the start). Will he finally get a train?

mc_mountain said:
i strongly considered proposing the same as fauneria suggested even before things came to a head, as it would be a huge benefit to the organisers as well as the players. and would also be a solution to the problem of points scored in africa and asia (whose 2014 tours started last october). at the end of the year

but as NairoQ states , then there will be a disparity with the website and there is a certain purity in CQ score year 1 price - cost, CQ score year 2 -result.

This. It'll most likely be yet another divisive issue.

The fact that there's practically no off-season complicates things a fair bit.

One compromise could be to keep things as is, and have the option to send in a couple cheap replacements riders, as well, in case the team goes over the limit by the last update.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
skidmark said:
Deadline for submitting teams is January x. There is a 24-hour period following that for unforeseen corrections, so in that time posting your team is entirely voluntary with the knowledge that anyone who might see that team. Then, the final deadline is up and teams can be revealed without worry that it will bring down the integrity of this game. That should address the concerns shown here. Feedback?

Sounds like the best way, especially as most entries come in after the last cq update of the year anyways.

Also i would urge yourself and mc not to be put off by one slightly over zealous poster. I personally know how much work these things are and i'm sure that many others realise that the spreadsheet doesn't appear out of thin air.

It's good that people are passionate about the game and although Jancouver could have been more diplomatic at least now we can have a simple compromise solution for next year and i think we can all agree that the integrity of this year's game really hasn't been compromised.

2 ways around this come to mind:
One is for game organisers to warn those entering that while they will try to alert them to anomalies in their team, but if team is submitted very near the deadline then there is little time to render them such a favour. Uncorrected errors result in diminished teams (remove duplicates, remove riders from bottom of list until team is in budget).

The other way around it is a moratorium between closing date and posting of teams. Then organiser can give even last minute teams a chance to revise illegal submissions without others claiming that such teams have the advantage of seeing other choices.

I would be in favour of retaining the last CQ update of calendar year as the cutoff so long as the organiser is happy to accept extra responsibility of notifying early team submissions of inadvertent transgressions of the budget. I'm sure most of us have sufficient shortlists that making substitutions should not be difficult.

I would not be against a slightly later submission date (is anyone really doubting their chances for the season on the evidence of the Aussie TT Championships?) if this is useful for retaining the end of year data as cost.

All this is of course assuming that people will be willing to volunteer to run games after the invective that has been directed at those doing so this year.

Armchair cyclist said:
2 ways around this come to mind:
One is for game organisers to warn those entering that while they will try to alert them to anomalies in their team, but if team is submitted very near the deadline then there is little time to render them such a favour. Uncorrected errors result in diminished teams (remove duplicates, remove riders from bottom of list until team is in budget).

The other way around it is a moratorium between closing date and posting of teams. Then organiser can give even last minute teams a chance to revise illegal submissions without others claiming that such teams have the advantage of seeing other choices.

I would be in favour of retaining the last CQ update of calendar year as the cutoff so long as the organiser is happy to accept extra responsibility of notifying early team submissions of inadvertent transgressions of the budget. I'm sure most of us have sufficient shortlists that making substitutions should not be difficult.

I would not be against a slightly later submission date (is anyone really doubting their chances for the season on the evidence of the Aussie TT Championships?) if this is useful for retaining the end of year data as cost.

All this is of course assuming that people will be willing to volunteer to run games after the invective that has been directed at those doing so this year.

-I don't know a lot about excel, but I know what a helping hand is.

Rephrased Forrest Gump

:)

1. Great work on the spreadsheet, looks even better than previous years. :)

2. While Jancouver eventually went out of line he did somewhat have a point:
I remember how earlier in this thread it was determined that Visconti would have his 2012 score instead of his 2013 score even though he did not lose any points due to doping charges in 2013. The rules were firmly enforced then. All in all, it is no big deal at all but changes made after should be heavily discouraged also because people would have to wait longer for spreadsheets.
However, if Skidmark (and Mc_Mountain) said that they were fine with all the extra work then there is no issue. As long as the changes made were not too big it is their call.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
DJ Sprtsch said:
del1962
Ferminal
ingsve
ironted
jsem94
just_some_guy
Kazistuta
keithjamesmc
MCardinalR
minessa
olafjt
R_O_Shipman
rywann
SteelyDan
tanja
VeloRooms

Thanks!
Just what I was looking for.

Quite honestly after all these minor disputes, I really wish the crowd would have decided to go with some online version over the spreadsheet. Unfortunately we have all voted to stick with the spreadsheet and none of these issues would happen if we had an online game.

With online game, the website can simply check for validity of each team on submission and for duplicate values. It would also display all the riders with all their point values.

Looking at the sheet, you can clearly see a bunch of (probably new) teams that forgot to fill their teams with zero pointers and dont have full roster. Assuming those players made the rookie mistake because they didnt know where to look for those zero pointers.

Perhaps, since the admins for this game were allowing to make changes for those who made mistake by getting over the limit or by selecting duplicated riders, they could also point these errors to those submitting "incomplete" teams.

In my opinion, we should still let them fill their teams with zero pointers since we did allow changes to others after the deadline.

Again, this is just my opinion, and you do not have to start a war with me. We can all make this game better by having conversation about all these minor flaws.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Looking at the last year winner team for 2014 I can just say that he definitely got an interesting approach to this year game. Not sure if I'm a fan of having 11 zero pointers, but again, different approach and different strategy may be the key to success in this game. Interestingly enough, last year's runner up also has QUINTANA & KWIATKOWSKI for 2014.

I hope SteelyDan doesn't mind I'm posting his team for 2014.

QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander 1634
PORTE Richie 1486
DEGENKOLB John 1166
KWIATKOWSKI Michal 995
BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos Alberto 935
HESJEDAL Ryder 294
GOSS Matthew 217
BOONEN Tom 139
EWAN Caleb 110
SCHLECK Andy 99
DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd 97
KENNAUGH Peter 93
COBO ACEBO Juan Jose 61
KESSIAKOFF Fredrik 42
DI GREGORIO Rémy 35
VOROBYEV Anton 31
NUYENS Nick 30
DAVIS Allan 20
ZURLO Federico 8
KOCJAN Jure 5
LOVELOCK-FAY Mitchell 2
HENAO MARIN Sebastian 1
BALLAN Alessandro 0
GERDEMANN Linus 0
GAMITO Vitor Manuel Gomes 0
DAVISON Luke 0
BISOLTI Alessandro 0
QUINTANA ROJAS Dayer Uberney 0
AUGUSTYN John-Lee 0
BOUDAT Thomas 0
PEDERSEN Mads 0
CHAVANEL Sébastien 0
CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban 0

Jancouver said:
Thanks!

Quite honestly after all these minor disputes, I really wish the crowd would have decided to go with some online version over the spreadsheet. Unfortunately we have all voted to stick with the spreadsheet and none of these issues would happen if we had an online game.

With online game, the website can simply check for validity of each team on submission and for duplicate values. It would also display all the riders with all their point values.

Looking at the sheet, you can clearly see a bunch of (probably new) teams that forgot to fill their teams with zero pointers and dont have full roster. Assuming those players made the rookie mistake because they didnt know where to look for those zero pointers.

Perhaps, since the admins for this game were allowing to make changes for those who made mistake by getting over the limit or by selecting duplicated riders, they could also point these errors to those submitting "incomplete" teams.

In my opinion, we should still let them fill their teams with zero pointers since we did allow changes to others after the deadline.

Again, this is just my opinion, and you do not have to start a war with me. We can all make this game better by having conversation about all these minor flaws.

Hey, points taken. I'm totally fine if people state their opinion constructively as you've done in this post, I just get my hackles up a bit if I feel insulted.

I'm not sure what an online version would have to offer that the spreadsheet doesn't, but that's possibly because I don't have experience with an online database like that. I missed the duplicate riders because I didn't think of it - sorting each team alphabetically would be an easy check in the future. With regards to the minor changes in the last versions of CQ, it was just spreadsheet error that I didn't check for, else I would have gotten to the teams right away. So the problems of this year are sort of rookie organizer problems, really.

Either way, I know people like the spreadsheet - it's interactive, you can update it yourself, and you can sort data in various ways. The site CQManager has set up in previous years has been fantastic, and they've worked well together in my opinion. So if CQM wants to work with me, or if someone wants to give me a lesson in how to add an online component to the game next year, I'm all for exploring it.

Jancouver said:
Looking at the last year winner team for 2014 I can just say that he definitely got an interesting approach to this year game. Not sure if I'm a fan of having 11 zero pointers, but again, different approach and different strategy may be the key to success in this game. Interestingly enough, last year's runner up also has QUINTANA & KWIATKOWSKI for 2014.

Interesting strategy, having your top 5 riders taking 80% of your point allocation.
Although I can't really throw stones with my glass house of having my short list come out really low and having to send an almost unrevised list in at the last minute. Think I had around 300 points still to play with but had no time to do anything with it.
I think it's a winning strategy

Jancouver said:

PORTE Richie 1486
DEGENKOLB John 1166
KWIATKOWSKI Michal 995
HESJEDAL Ryder 294
GOSS Matthew 217
BOONEN Tom 139
EWAN Caleb 110
SCHLECK Andy 99
KENNAUGH Peter 93
COBO ACEBO Juan Jose 61
KESSIAKOFF Fredrik 42
DI GREGORIO Rémy 35
VOROBYEV Anton 31
NUYENS Nick 30
DAVIS Allan 20
ZURLO Federico 8
KOCJAN Jure 5
LOVELOCK-FAY Mitchell 2
HENAO MARIN Sebastian 1
BALLAN Alessandro 0
GERDEMANN Linus 0
DAVISON Luke 0
BISOLTI Alessandro 0
AUGUSTYN John-Lee 0
BOUDAT Thomas 0
PEDERSEN Mads 0
CHAVANEL Sébastien 0

That's one thing I really loved about last year - the conventional picks underperformed, and even though it meant that my cautiously selected team did poorly, I loved watching the lead jump around between a bunch of guys who had picked high-price riders. SteelyDan's team is the extreme end of this type of strategy, my team in 2012 (which won the game with a high rider of 532 points, which was from memory the second-lowest high rider of 128 teams) is at the other end of the spectrum.

I do think that a cautious approach will win more on average, but even though I can't shake that approach, it is admittedly a bit boring, so I'm sure for some it's more fun to play that way, and if you win you win big. Although I guess it also is boring to get most of your points from a very few guys; there is something to be said about artfully picking a team that gets results everywhere. Still, picking that many low scoring riders means you'll probably score one rare gem that gets hundreds of points, but it also means you'll get some guys that will get like 100 points return, which I don't think is enough to win the game. We shall see.

Jancouver said:
Thanks!

to echo what skidmark said, the spreadsheet for me is still the way to go. but that isnt to say that the website wasnt amazing. when it wasnt password protected and updated regularly, i could check it at work and quickly gauge the impact of a race result. but later that day at home using the spreadsheet i could manually alter the tab with cq download data in and i could see how 80 points for a Demare win would change the whole of the rankings.

for CQManager to put in all the effort to maintain the website, he perfectly reasonably felt it needed to be either or. I probably lobbied quite hard to keep the spreadsheet, but that doesnt mean I dont value the website. CQManager very graciously added the data last year (skidmark the major advantage of the website version is you can instantly see which other teams have a rider on your team with a click of a mouse, you can also see with which team you have the most commonality or how common your team is with any other. the first of these things you can get the spreadsheet to tell you but it takes a bit of work - either manipulate the score of the rider in CQ results tab or the method that DJ Sprtsch outlines but it would take a lot of work to get the spreadsheet to provide the commonality data as far as I can tell).

because CQManager added the data last year, myself and skidmark made a massive effort to get the data he would need (this on the popularity tab) in the hope that he would do so again. Following his post I have PM'd him to politely ask if would do so, and suggest that anyone else who would like to see how many riders they match with other teams should also send him a PM). as yet i havent had a response from CQManager. Although from his post criticising my role in the game he indicated that he was keen to do so, so hopefully he can be persuaded.

but this demonstrates one thing to me, it is possible to create the website from the spreadsheet, but at present I cant see a way that it would be possible to create the spreadsheet from the website. If you, Jancouver, or CQManager can see a way to do that that could be an AMAZING thing. Although I can see there being some issues with what you describe jancouver in that to submit a 33 man team into the website (assuming it is done in the same way as for the 9 man GT teams), could take maybe 15 minutes to do, whereas cut and paste a team into a pm might take 30 secs. how would the website deal with zero pointers that dont appear on the CQ Download (but appear on the website and can be checked manually).

The slight problems we have had this year, can easily be ironed out in a second year with the current organisational staff (would likely not have occurred this year if I had given some better advice to skidmark), and the idea that there is a cooling off period seems like a sensible one just in case. perhaps this would need to be reinforced with a symbolic 50 point penalty for anyone that posts their team early (as, wow, are people keen to post their teams!)

I think your rookie mistake remarks are a red herring and go against your previous statements about mistakes and also seem contrary to the statements you make of the advantages of an automatic system of team submission via a website (will the website generate this advice for rookies?). The value of making a rookie mistake to the rookie is that they are unlikely to make that mistake again. they can also say to themselves throughout the year, 'boy, if i'd just have included some zero pointers I would be 10 places higher in the ranking' and hopefully that will spur them on to play again, knowing they can improve their strategy.

yes a constructive conversation is definitely the way to go, that's why I am a little surprised not to have receive a reply to my PM. Anyway I hope you will no longer to consider any team in this game as being void.

One last thing, it has been pointed out that a) i have quite a popular team and b) have had access to the spreadsheet before everyone else.

skidmark I am sure will be happy to confirm that I only had access to the spreadsheet of teams after the deadline and that my team was submitted several days before the deadline.

sorry for epic post.

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
PORTE Richie 1486
DEGENKOLB John 1166
KWIATKOWSKI Michal 995

I don't see any of these guys double their points to be honest, although I would each of them to do so (Porte excluded). Put, if they do turn out to gain you some big points, well done.
I would estimate they can each gain 500 points extra on average, but maybe that's a little bit underestimating... We'll see.

Jancouver said:

PORTE Richie 1486
DEGENKOLB John 1166
KWIATKOWSKI Michal 995
HESJEDAL Ryder 294
GOSS Matthew 217
BOONEN Tom 139
EWAN Caleb 110
SCHLECK Andy 99
KENNAUGH Peter 93
COBO ACEBO Juan Jose 61
KESSIAKOFF Fredrik 42
DI GREGORIO Rémy 35
VOROBYEV Anton 31
NUYENS Nick 30
DAVIS Allan 20
ZURLO Federico 8
KOCJAN Jure 5
LOVELOCK-FAY Mitchell 2
HENAO MARIN Sebastian 1
BALLAN Alessandro 0
GERDEMANN Linus 0
DAVISON Luke 0
BISOLTI Alessandro 0
AUGUSTYN John-Lee 0
BOUDAT Thomas 0
PEDERSEN Mads 0
CHAVANEL Sébastien 0

Interesting approach. Picking a few very expensive riders frees up space for many cheap guys who has the potential to improve their score a lot.

I myself considered Quintana. If he does the Giro + Vuelta he could have a Nibalisque season. If he scores 2400+ he would definitely be a very good pick.

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
mc_mountain said:
One last thing, it has been pointed out that a) i have quite a popular team and b) have had access to the spreadsheet before everyone else.

skidmark I am sure will be happy to confirm that I only had access to the spreadsheet of teams after the deadline and that my team was submitted several days before the deadline.

sorry for epic post.

Surely to god neither you nor Skidmark need to offer assurance to others that you havent cheated?

FFS its a game of - lets face it - pure luck, you can strategise out your backside and they crash in the first week of racing!!

Or equally likely they get popped....

I appreaciate all your and skidmarks work and patience.. 1st time at this, believe me, im only going to get more needy....:):p

Trudgin said:
Surely to god neither you nor Skidmark need to offer assurance to others that you havent cheated?

FFS its a game of - lets face it - pure luck, you can strategise out your backside and they crash in the first week of racing!!

Or equally likely they get popped....

I appreaciate all your and skidmarks work and patience.. 1st time at this, believe me, im only going to get more needy....:):p

it was just a matter of housekeeping really, something I should have said at the time when I posted popularity data.

also you can select a rider on the basis of a well thought out strategy - 'will do well at the ardennes' for example - but they become a good pick for a completely different reason (end up in race defining break in 7 day tour). or the opposite not select a rider for a seemingly valid reason but they end up being a bad pick because of doping or injury, and not the reason you used..

mc_mountain said:

sorry for epic post.

Yup, I sent mc the spreadsheet on the 6th when I finally finished the copy/paste (and mere hours later he had the popularity data up). For my team, I sent 15 'for sure' riders as well as a shortlist of about 35 others to just some guy when the game thread started a month ago; then when I finalized my team a few days before deadline, EvansIsTheBest and MC both saw it and can confirm there were no last minute additions or changes.

I think it's fair to be careful about this - on one hand, we've both always had popular teams so we know how to pick them anyway, but on the other hand we know that popular teams do quite well and so I could see from the outside this would be suspicious. If we need to invite more people from outside the circle to send teams to etc, I'm happy to do that, although I'm sure most people believe that a) we wouldn't take advantage and b) any advantage from seeing this would be questionable.