• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2015 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
My first list for 2016 is already over 10,000 so my vote is to increase the limit to 10,325 :D

Damn, I truly wish I could have all those great riders but 7500 is a good number and we can compare with previous years.

I would also vote to ban the most obvious picks. What's the point of having somebody like Kittel on a team when everyone else will have him as well? Just a waste of space and points ...

Re:

Jancouver said:
My first list for 2016 is already over 10,000 so my vote is to increase the limit to 10,325 :D

Damn, I truly wish I could have all those great riders but 7500 is a good number and we can compare with previous years.

I would also vote to ban the most obvious picks. What's the point of having somebody like Kittel on a team when everyone else will have him as well? Just a waste of space and points ...
Regarding obvious picks I was thinking along the same lines, but ultimately you can not exclude possibility that someone will deliberately want to take the risk of not having that rider.

And you definitely can not exclude that even the obvious pick may fail ( see Moser, Andy Schleck, Goss etc.).

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

PeterB said:
Jancouver said:

Regarding obvious picks I was thinking along the same lines, but ultimately you can not exclude possibility that someone will deliberately want to take the risk of not having that rider.

And you definitely can not exclude that even the obvious pick may fail ( see Moser, Andy Schleck, Goss etc.).

Thanks Peter for bringing up Andy Schleck again, I had all but forgot him and the great pick I thought he was.

Keep the points at 7,500 we're all playing with the same amount so it shouldn't matter.

Re:

Jancouver said:

I understand the idea behind that, but it'd be difficult to implement. First, there's never been a truly unanimous pick; the most popular riders this year were still missing from at least 25 teams. Of course, it's likely if someone just forgot an obvious player, then maybe their team won't be that robust and competitive, but still, by picking those 'obvious' riders you get an advantage over somebody (if they do well, which is never a guarantee). Second, where would you draw the line at 'obvious picks'? I've thought some picks were 'obvious' only to realize that only about half the teams were on the same page; without knowing who other people are thinking of, it's hard to know when to draw the line, because then you'd be doing things like 'riders that you think 75% of the teams are going to pick' should not be included, and that's far too speculative. Third, there are 33 spots, so if you have a few that are relative equalizers for most teams, there is still plenty of room for exciting and unique picks. We've tinkered with the fundamentals of the game before for dopers, which is a special case both morally and how a doping ban affects CQ points (ie. getting Valverde for 0 points in 2012 would have been bonkers). But a doping ban is cut and dry - trying to figure out where to draw the line on who an 'obvious' pick is would just open up too much of a can of worms for my liking. I guess the bottom line is that it would take far too much work and discussion to build consensus around this for my capabilities (if there could even be consensus), so it's easier just to let the rules be as they have been.

So, confirmation that the game is 7500 points. All other main elements will remain the same too; the green jersey competition was a success this year, I felt, and mc_mountain suggested a similar 'KoM' competition for the team that had the highest cumulative rankings on the 'weekly top movers' standings (get it? best 'climber'? Not bad).

Anyway, the new thread for the 2016 game will be up in the next week if all goes to plan; I'm currently travelling, but I should be able to find some time to sit down to it.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
skidmark said:
So, confirmation that the game is 7500 points. All other main elements will remain the same too; the green jersey competition was a success this year, I felt, and mc_mountain suggested a similar 'KoM' competition for the team that had the highest cumulative rankings on the 'weekly top movers' standings (get it? best 'climber'? Not bad).

Anyway, the new thread for the 2016 game will be up in the next week if all goes to plan; I'm currently travelling, but I should be able to find some time to sit down to it.

Thanks for the update! Should be fun!

Anybody got the overall standings over the years for this CQ game since we started?

I haven't yet compiled an updated list of all 5 years of the game, but if nobody else has that info on hand (I believe skibby and/or EvansIsTheBest has had this info in the past) I'm planning on doing it when my current trip is over, which will be around Christmas time.

I was coming on this thread to provide a link to the finalized standings of this year's game, which could be used for 'official' purposes such as summarizing all the years. The only difference right now between it and update 42 is that I corrected fauniera's entries that had omitted over 100 points from their team, moving them up to 8th overall. If anyone sees any corrections that need to be made to this one, I can update again.

Anyway, here is the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvj5mahrklglc5x/CQ%202015%20final%20update.xls?dl=0