• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2017 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This is the first time since the 2015 Vuelta that anybody has scored more than 1500 points in a week.

There are some pretty weird/random races with surprisingly high classifications (2.1) coming up this week.

Szlakiem whatever (2.1)
VORGANOV Eduard

The first stage has an MTF, so hopefully the old fox hasn't forgotten how to climb.

Boucles de la Mayenne (2.1)
VENDRAME Andrea

This race is often a bit of a lottery as to who ends up in the right break, but Vendrame is among the better hilly riders here, so he could score some points.

Hammer gimmick (2.1)
TEUNS Dylan
VERVAEKE Louis
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
DOULL Owain
VAN POPPEL Danny
VIVIANI Elia

I have absolutely no idea how CQ will dish out points for this. Will all stages and the overall be treated as TTTs? Please please please no crashes.

GP Beiras e Serra da Estrela (2.1)
ROSON GARCIA Jaime

These are exactly the kind of races I picked Roson for. He has already delivered plenty, and I expect him to do so again.

Heistse Pijl (1.1)
VAN ROOY Kenneth

To quote Mick Jagger: I have no expectations.

Critérium du Dauphiné (2.UWT)
BENOOT Tiesj
CARAPAZ MONTENEGRO Richard Antonio
MACHADO Tiago Jose Pinto
MAS NICOLAU Enric
SIMON Julien
KÖNIG Leopold (!)
YATES Simon
ARU Fabio
VAN KEIRSBULCK Guillaume

Finally some real racing!

Really hard to perform with Aru and Konig out, Koshevoy/Bonifazzio in bad condition, or Boeckmans/Intxausti/Arredondo/Malori lost for the sport :(
In other way, Boom, Vliegen, or Impey are very unlucky ....

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow back to 4th again! I've got a few rare picks with potential to score big targeting races in the coming weeks (Roglic, Meintjes, Frank). Looking forward to see how things will turn out.

Anyway, like squire said, surprisingly many points this week.

Skoda-Tour de Luxembourg
SEPÚLVEDA Eduardo

Boucles de la Mayenne
VENDRAME Andrea
FRANK Mathias

Hammer Abomination
KÄMNA Lennard
EWAN Caleb
BOOM Lars
VIVIANI Elia

Critérium du Dauphiné
CARAPAZ Richard
NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas
VALLS Rafael
KWIATKOWSKI Michal
MEINTJES Louis
VAN KEIRSBULCK Guillaume
KÖNIG Leopold

Re:

lenissart said:
Really hard to perform with Aru and Konig out, Koshevoy/Bonifazzio in bad condition, or Boeckmans/Intxausti/Arredondo/Malori lost for the sport :(
In other way, Boom, Vliegen, or Impey are very unlucky ....

Does anyone have any update on the status for the following riders:

Arredondo - (I have no knowledge why he hasn't raced since March)
Intxausti - (still injured?)
Trofimov - (raced in Moscow but not before or after, still problems with work permit?)

Would also be nice to know in advance how the CQ points will be given in the Hammer series :p

Dropping 17 places is of course disappointing. I had high hopes for Kruijswijk, but then he had those crashes. At least he was still in the top 10, before leaving the race on the last day. So 9 points from him in the Giro, while I was expecting something like 350 or more... Gaviria and Landa did a good job though. Also Boom threw away some important points on the last day in Tour des Fjords, while Gesink had bad luck in California a bit earlier.

It's already clear my team has too much weaknesses to have high ambitions.

Anyway, one thing that makes me happy is that I have Betancur in my team. Only chosen 24 times, and if he's really back, which I think he is, he could score a lot of points in the coming months.

Does anyone know how the points for the Hammer gc tomorrow will be awarded?
I'm asking this because I'm right now pretty angry that Sunweb will probably win the gc, I have the relatively rare pick Ramon Sinkeldam in their team but since he crashed out today he probably won't get any points. He won't get points for today I assume, but what about gc. I mean after all it's also possible to not start any of the races, but still be part of the winner team. Would a rider like that get points?

Gigs_98 said:
Does anyone know how the points for the Hammer gc tomorrow will be awarded?
I'm asking this because I'm right now pretty angry that Sunweb will probably win the gc, I have the relatively rare pick Ramon Sinkeldam in their team but since he crashed out today he probably won't get any points. He won't get points for today I assume, but what about gc. I mean after all it's also possible to not start any of the races, but still be part of the winner team. Would a rider like that get points?

Points are as per 2.1 scale, divided by 4, for all cyclists who participated in at least 1 event.

Good second on GC at Luxembourg for my unique pick, Xandro Meurisse. Could have done a lot better this year but Wanty have had him trundling around WT races for some reason. Presumably something to do with their plans for the Tour. Roson was in the GP Bieras but DNF the first stage along with about 40 other riders? I wonder how many teams picked up points here and at the Polish race?

With Aru and Konig back at the Criterium, the season is beginning to look a bit brighter. Also have Kwia, Gaudu, GVK and Meintjes. Looking for the latter to start salvaging something from this year. Maybe a stage win from Kwia or even Gaudu

Elsewhere, Bernal looks to be favourite at Slovakia? And Stuyven will win GP d'Argovie as he's the only rider listed for it on PCS

Update #21: From Blues to green for this week's MVP

After the heady post-Giro days, this week was bound to be a bit more slow. Yet, an inordinate number of 2.1 races (and one 2.HC) handed out plenty of CQ points. If only any teams had riders riding them...

The Boucles de la Mayenne proved the most fertile hunting grounds for this week's winner, Blues in the bottle, who picked up 397 points in total. Rare pick Mathieu van der Poel absolutely dominated the small race in northwest France, podiuming the first two stages before going on to win the last two and the overall for a total of 171 CQ points. Sky's win in the novelty that was the Hammer series also provided our weekly winner with healthy contributions from Boswell, Doull and Viviani. They scored 28, 29 and 30 points respectively.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 Blues in the bottle 397
2 Hakkie2 346
3 Eric10 314
4 EvansIsTheBest 291
5 abbulf 282

Mathieu van der Poel is picked 9 times, and the top 9 teams all have him. No contest for most important CQ pick this week. Second-placed Hakkie2 supplements the 171 Van der Poel points with 86 from Venturini, but didn't have anywhere near the amount of lesser scorers that Blues in the bottle had.

Poles & Co in 10th is the first non-MvP team. They had their own 2.1 winner in unique pick Paterski.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team up/down
1 Hakkie2 (+16)
2 PunchingRouleur (+14)
3 EvansIsTheBest (+13)
4 Eric10 (+10)
5 Jancouver (+8)
5 Blues in the bottle (+8)
5 rote_laterne (+8)

Hakkie2 wins the climbing contest with a jump of 16 placings. PunchingRouleur and EvansIsTheBest follow closely in 2nd and 3rd. The non-Van der Poel team of Jancouver makes the top 5 here with Schlegel and a lot of Hammer scorers.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Blues in the bottle 157
1 the asian 157
3 Geraint Too Fast 136
4 Kazistuta 127
5 Kryvo 126

With their second weekly win, Blues in the bottle makes it into the green jersey, sharing the lead with the asian. If they met at a traffic light party, they'd probably get along well. Kryvo is also a new entry in the top 5. GP Blanco and tom_jelte drops out.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) the asian 6992
2 (-) tom_jelte 6988
3 (-) Squire 6932
4 (-) Maaaaaaaarten 6886
5 (+1) Object 6828
6 (-1) GP Blanco 6810
7 (+1) Hugo Koblet 6730
8 (-1) fauniera 6690
9 (-) Googolplex 6655
10 (-) Kazistuta 6609

Our weekly winner almost makes it into the top 10 as well. Blues in the bottle narrowly misses out by 2 points. There's very minor movement in the top 10. The gaps between the podium teams tighten somewhat as the top 3 teams outscore the teams above themselves. the asian's lead is now quite precarious, with tom_jelte breathing down their neck just 4 points behind.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Thanks for the update Squire! It's looking really close towards the top so it'll be interesting to follow.

Personally i'm happy to have scored points from some of the less popular riders- Guldhammer, Allegeart etc- but am ruing not picking some of the more obvious riders who are scoring well. Hopefully Richie can continue to carry me up the standings and it's good to see Aru ride so aggressively and well.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Man I was pretty scared this week when Aru started performing very well! In the end Meintjes and Valls probably compensate for missing Aru this week. I really need a few folks to perform strong at the TDF, if Aru keeps this up. Anyway, still fourth so far and when the update for this week comes in, I don't expect to win or drop too much, given the lack of Aru and the presence of Meintjes and Valls.

Update #22: laarsland living large with profitable Porte

The Dauphiné was where most of the scoring was done this week. The five players who put their faith in Porte this year can smile, as the Tasmanian is now into profit and touted as one of the Tour favourites. In addition to the Dauphiné, the Tour de Suisse teaser that is GP Kanton Aargau - Gippingen, won by Modolo, also handed out some handy points, being 1.HC.

The two teams with Dauphiné winner Fuglsang will be happy with his 372 points and top rider score this week, but having the Dane (whose name means birdsong, as Carlton Kirby was so kind to point out for us) in the team didn't translate into much success: He was the one and only point scorer for ChrisDK, and "the attacking vikings" didn't fare much better, only adding 31 points to Fuglsang's tally.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 laarsland 704
2 greenedge 690
3 Ferminal 671
4 ItalianGigolo 612
5 HelgeBlendet 609

This week's success story belongs to laarsland, with a resounding 704 points. Porte accounts for a large portion of them (314), but the weekly winner also had Aru, Bonifazio, Oomen and the near-omnipresent Degenkolb score well. laarsland is followed quite closely by greenedge with a similar set of scorers, substituting Bonifazio & Oomen for Benoot & Küng. Ferminal rounds out the podium, also thanks to Porte, Aru and Degenkolb, but also a bunch of minor points from several riders.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team up/down
1 ItalianGigolo (+19)
1 Ferminal (+19)
3 laarsland (+18)
4 Eyeballs Out (+14)
5 CraZyCaLL (+12)

Some pretty big moves this week. That's what comes with big points. ItalianGigolo and the aforementioned Ferminal share the spoils as highest movers. Eyeballs Out is the only team on this list that's in the top50, moving up 14 places into 38th.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Blues in the bottle 157
1 the asian 157
3 Kazistuta 141
4 Geraint Too Fast 136
5 Kryvo 126

Kazistuta's 9th place this week takes them up one spot.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (+1) tom_jelte 7363
2 (+1) Squire 7310
3 (-2) the asian 7300
4 (+1) Object 7203
5 (-1) Maaaaaaaarten 7193
6 (-) GP Blanco 7187
7 (+3) Kazistuta 7154
8 (-1) Hugo Koblet 7087
9 (-1) fauniera 7049
10 (+2) jeroenk 7006

As predicted by the asian, tom-jelte hunts them down. A week later than expected, but tom-jelte, who's been a constant presence in the top 10 since all the way back to the beginning of March, finally takes the lead. That took a long time coming!

the asian, who moves down to 3rd, is also leap-frogged by Squire. There's a decent gap of almost 100 points down to 4th. Elsewhere, former leader jeroenk re-enters the top 10, while another former leader, Googolplex, falls out of it. The top teams are now very nearly into overall profit.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Woohoo - I'll take a weekly win and run with it given I'm destined to at least lower half mediocrity in all of these competitions. The way things are going handful-or-less pick Porte should continue to yield great gains, given that the other of these punts in Jesper Hansen, Seb Henao and Valerio Conti are utter dross for now.

Thanks for the diligent updates!

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
My Tour de Suisse went pretty badly with only Frank earning some notable points; however with Dillier, Carapaz, Roglic, De Plus, Viviani and Rolland, I should be alright for the week.