• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2017 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest this time around, going by this thread alone. We could be looking at a record low number of entrants, apart from the first edition. Does anyone know if the game is being promoted on other platforms such as Twitter, like it was a few years ago? (I ditched my social media accounts years ago due to time constraints)

I have no real gauge for how popular the game is going to be this year, but it's possible that the participation level might regress for any number of reasons, among them the relatively truncated time frame (this is the earliest deadline of the editions that I've run, and the initial post was up a few days later than I usually put it, I think), the fact that the game has been running for seven years and might naturally 'settle in' a little bit, or any number of factors. But who knows - last year I was worried we'd have fewer than 120 entries and then we got blitzed on the last day and I ended with over 140. But honestly, 120 teams, or 100, would still be an impressive competition.

I know the velorooms folks have been quite active in promoting the game on social media and otherwise in the past; their forum had some bugs that didn't allow me to post the main thread until today, so maybe the hype will start ramping up.

At any rate, I'm glad the people who have posted so far are excited about coming back; this should be a fun year to pick, there are definitely a number of directions to go in terms of picking riders.

This is really hard... I already built 2 teams with completely different riders and I am happy with both of them... Can't decide between some old guys that changed teams and should have better season and some really young guys that have a ton of potential...Probably gonna wait till the last day to see if any new teams and cyclists will reveal their calendar.

I'm really intrigued about 2 young Colombians that were great picks last year... Pretty sure one of them will make my team while the other won't...Or maybe the other way around... :rolleyes:

Karaev1 said:
This is really hard... I already built 2 teams with completely different riders and I am happy with both of them... Can't decide between some old guys that changed teams and should have better season and some really young guys that have a ton of potential...Probably gonna wait till the last day to see if any new teams and cyclists will reveal their calendar.
Last year I was playing with an idea of suggesting that players could submit two, reasonably different teams. This could help if you can't decide between your heart and head, so that you can have one team to really cheer for and the other team that you build more professionally. At the end I thought it was more exciting if you had to decide for just one team but if more people like this idea maybe we can try. Btw velorooms folk already have such second team ;)

Re:

Jancouver said:
BTW what is the rule about name dropping in this thread? I hope I didn't break the rules by posting the list of expensive riders. :eek:

There is no hard-and-fast rule about what you can and can't speak about in this thread - I make the game rules, but I'm not interested in making rules about what people can say here. But, just like if people start revealing their entire teams before the deadline, lots of people have the perception that name-dropping in this thread isn't really in the spirit of fairness, as it potentially alerts people who haven't done as much 'work' in finding riders for their team. So, my only request is to be reasonable and respectful of people's needs. Your post, which outlined a good dozen or so riders, all among the top scorers in CQ points and therefore riders that it's unlikely people would be unaware of, is not on the wrong side of the line of what is ok to post here, I think. Certainly, no one seems to be bothered by it. But if you mention a more obscure pick, like saying 'what do you guys think about this guy who scored 130 points last year as an U23 and signed for this team', I think that might ruffle more feathers (for the record, I just pulled those facts out of the air, I am not thinking of any rider in that example). So yeah, just use common sense and discretion, really.

Re:

PeterB said:
How about asking one of the mods to pin a temporary announcement in the PRR section that the game is on? Both to lure new players as well as to remind returning ones it is time...

Yes, I was intending on posting something this week. Two years ago I talked to a mod about making an announcement thread and getting them to sticky it on the PRR section; that happened and probably led to it being the most participated year. Last year I PM'd the same mod but didn't hear back, so I just posted my own thread on PRR and updated it to bump it to the top every once and awhile when there was a week/3 days/etc left. I'll probably do a similar thing this year.

Karaev1 said:
This is really hard... I already built 2 teams with completely different riders and I am happy with both of them... Can't decide between some old guys that changed teams and should have better season and some really young guys that have a ton of potential...
I used completely different tactics. First of all I made a team of "must have riders". This year it was around 15 riders. Then I build a long list of riders (this year around 50 names) who for ever the reason I think might do better next year and try to combine them so that in the final, I wont exceed 7500 points and the will have 33 names.
This year I spend around 7-8 hours creating a team, more then ever before. The short list of must have riders was done within half hour, but then it became a nightmare. I had to alter a game plan, and had to drop some interesting "must have" riders too so I would fit in game rules.
In the end I am confused too ;-)

Just scimmed through cqranking and put together a list of 95 guys I want to have on my team. The 33 most promising came in at 10800 or so. Feels harder than ever to pick the 33 guys. Every combination misses some must-haves and includes some i-don't-know guys. There will be lots of tinkering over the next week.

Martin said:
Karaev1 said:
This is really hard... I already built 2 teams with completely different riders and I am happy with both of them... Can't decide between some old guys that changed teams and should have better season and some really young guys that have a ton of potential...
I used completely different tactics. First of all I made a team of "must have riders". This year it was around 15 riders. Then I build a long list of riders (this year around 50 names) who for ever the reason I think might do better next year and try to combine them so that in the final, I wont exceed 7500 points and the will have 33 names.
This year I spend around 7-8 hours creating a team, more then ever before. The short list of must have riders was done within half hour, but then it became a nightmare. I had to alter a game plan, and had to drop some interesting "must have" riders too so I would fit in game rules.

To the bolded: In my view, there are only 3-4 absolute must-haves. Maybe just two. Most of the other spots in my team have been changing a lot. There are a few more than the must-haves which have been constant, but that's mostly because I decided early on that they would definitely be in my team, and I don't expect them to be in almost everybody else's team.

My strategy analysis for this year was from a slightly different perspective than last time, so this year my team shouldn't look like skidmark's less talented brother. I'm still going for the "scientific approach", but I'm pretty sure I won't top the popularity rankings again this year, and I might even have a potentially unique pick. :eek:

Hoping to break into the podium spots in 2017!

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I have my team ready, but how do I get it to skidmark? I've tried clicking on his name but that doesn't give an option. How do I send a pm then?

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
Polliwop said:
I have my team ready, but how do I get it to skidmark? I've tried clicking on his name but that doesn't give an option. How do I send a pm then?
Yes it does. If you click the user's name, you get to their profile. Then on the left side it says "CONTACT POLLIWOP
PM: Send private message".
Nope. Counting (see next message).

Squire said:
Martin said:
Karaev1 said:

To the bolded: In my view, there are only 3-4 absolute must-haves. Maybe just two. Most of the other spots in my team have been changing a lot. There are a few more than the must-haves which have been constant, but that's mostly because I decided early on that they would definitely be in my team, and I don't expect them to be in almost everybody else's team.

My strategy analysis for this year was from a slightly different perspective than last time, so this year my team shouldn't look like skidmark's less talented brother. I'm still going for the "scientific approach", but I'm pretty sure I won't top the popularity rankings again this year, and I might even have a potentially unique pick. :eek:

Hoping to break into the podium spots in 2017!

I agree this season has the fewest certain picks ever in the game and I also think only 2-4 are completely must haves. Then on the other hand there is a big group of riders that are obviously good picks, and I have also had maybe 10-15 of those in my team at all time besides the 4 certain ones, but all those might end up being sacrificed if needed to fit the puzzle. With the lack of very obvious picks this year I would also predict that the winningscore might end up a bit lower than previous years.

What I particularly don't like about this year is that I must decide on a few riders who disappointed me in the past. Of course I am tempted to ignore them as they are remembered as failures and my faith in them is shaken, but on the other hand I am aware that maybe I should fight this sentiment and take them at their current good value. How do other people do this? Do you like giving your riders second chance?

TRENDING THREADS