• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2018 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
repre said:
Valverde should be banned from this game. I am serious, he is not fair.

I'm thinking that he typically has too high of a points count for anyone to actually consider putting him on their team. Last year since he missed half the year thus leaving a good number of points on the table and making picking him a consideration and one that those of us who are his fans were going to take advantage of.
Yep, i am just trying to make some excuses for being so dumb not to pick him.

repre said:
Koronin said:
repre said:

I'm thinking that he typically has too high of a points count for anyone to actually consider putting him on their team. Last year since he missed half the year thus leaving a good number of points on the table and making picking him a consideration and one that those of us who are his fans were going to take advantage of.

Well I do remember several people debating rather or not to take him because of the seriousness of the injury he was coming back from. I just pulled up my sheet from the spreadsheet to see how many people actually choose to take him. There were only 15 of us that picked him. So it seems most people choose to not take the chance.

Koronin said:
repre said:
Koronin said:
repre said:

Well I do remember several people debating rather or not to take him because of the seriousness of the injury he was coming back from. I just pulled up my sheet from the spreadsheet to see how many people actually choose to take him. There were only 15 of us that picked him. So it seems most people choose to not take the chance.

Well, it's easy to say he was a good choice now that he's looking good (although he only has half of last year's points so if he crashes and breaks something tomorrow he won't look great at the end of the year), but everything is a chance in this game when the future is unknown. I definitely considered Valverde's long history of incredible consistency and excellence in picking him, because I thought he had a high floor and was low risk/high reward in that respect, and I also took into account the reports of him being great in training, and I also considered the fact that he had career form at 36 so imagining him doing well at 37 wasn't outrageous... but in the end, would I have picked him even with those factors if I didn't just really like him and want to cheer for him as a rider? Definitely not. Although I guess that's maybe hard to parse as a thought experiment, since those are kind of the reasons I love him as a rider. I learned the hard way the risks of this game when a month into the first year my most expensive pick (Riccardo Ricco lolol) went out for the year with, uhh, renal failure; the next year my most expensive pick was just over 500 points. It's taken awhile to come back to wanting to risk it on an expensive rider, but it's a legit strategy as well as a damn fun ride when things are good.

skidmark said:
Koronin said:
repre said:
Koronin said:
repre said:

Well, it's easy to say he was a good choice now that he's looking good (although he only has half of last year's points so if he crashes and breaks something tomorrow he won't look great at the end of the year), but everything is a chance in this game when the future is unknown. I definitely considered Valverde's long history of incredible consistency and excellence in picking him, because I thought he had a high floor and was low risk/high reward in that respect, and I also took into account the reports of him being great in training, and I also considered the fact that he had career form at 36 so imagining him doing well at 37 wasn't outrageous... but in the end, would I have picked him even with those factors if I didn't just really like him and want to cheer for him as a rider? Definitely not. Although I guess that's maybe hard to parse as a thought experiment, since those are kind of the reasons I love him as a rider. I learned the hard way the risks of this game when a month into the first year my most expensive pick (Riccardo Ricco lolol) went out for the year with, uhh, renal failure; the next year my most expensive pick was just over 500 points. It's taken awhile to come back to wanting to risk it on an expensive rider, but it's a legit strategy as well as a damn fun ride when things are good.

So far I'm enjoying the ride. I have been rubbish at this game for the last two years, so chucking caution to the wind and banking on big point scorers wasn't much of a risk. So far I'm riding higher than in previous years. If only Gaviria could stay on his bike ... and Alaphilippe could climb a bit better ... it would have been perfect. I remember you, Skidmark, saying that I'd have some really good fun weeks with those three (and jungels too).

I'm really pleased with some of my cheaper picks, many who are showing great profit already: Soler, Hodeg, Dlamini, Basso, Fenn notably.

armchairclimber said:
skidmark said:
Koronin said:
Koronin said:
repre said:

So far I'm enjoying the ride. I have been rubbish at this game for the last two years, so chucking caution to the wind and banking on big point scorers wasn't much of a risk. So far I'm riding higher than in previous years. If only Gaviria could stay on his bike ... and Alaphilippe could climb a bit better ... it would have been perfect. I remember you, Skidmark, saying that I'd have some really good fun weeks with those three (and jungels too).

I'm really pleased with some of my cheaper picks, many who are showing great profit already: Soler, Hodeg, Dlamini, Basso, Fenn notably.[/quote]

My first year attempting this game and picking Alejandro was easy because he's my favorite rider and has been for over a decade. I had to have him on my team. Now if he puts up 3,000 plus points this year, not entirely sure it's possible to put him on my team next year. Between what he and his friends were saying about his recovery, and the fact that at 36 almost 37 he had a career spring, why not take a chance, esp since I expected the consistency to be back even if the very top level wasn't. The top level definitely looks to be back as well. It appears the only time thoughts of the injury show up are when the roads are wet and dangerous. So that's also something as no matter how good he was training, no one could predict his mental state when he got back to racing.

Update: Koronin Cracks 1K!

Whoa.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 Koronin 1112
2 Eyeballs Out 947
3 minessa 945
4 LaFlorecita 944
5 Shawnm4747 940

That's some Grand Tour GC points right there. The stars aligned this week with a few WT classics, a WT stage race, and a smattering of other things from the 2.HC Langkawi to the 2.1 Coppi e Bartali to the 1.1 races in France. Most of these races had some prominent riders in this game, and with another jawdropping 367 points this week, it was going to be a team with Valverde that led the charge. But hey, wanna know how to get over 1100 points in a single week like this? Piti is only the start, you've gotta get 3x that amount. Terpstra helps, a moderately popular pick that did the right thing in E3 and brought in over 200. Heck, Soler and his 143 this week also help, making him already over 100 points in profit at almost 600 total. Being one of the 12 teams to pick Stybar also would help with his 110. Then smatterings of 50 here from Ben O'Connor and 42 there from Max Schachmann there would also help. Guess what? Koronin had all of 'em, and cleaned the heck up. Great week for a game neophyte especially. Of course, the ridiculous totals of the rest of the top 5 are overshadowed by this, but Eyeballs Out squeaks out 2nd place with Valv/Soler/Latour/Rosa while minessa edges out LaFlo for 3rd with Valv/Latour/Rosa and a good supporting cast. Yikes! Do you think that means there were some big jumps this week?

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down
1 Koronin (+54)
2 vladimir (+36)
3 Manafana (+32)
4 minessa (+29)
5 JSpear (+28)

Well, yep. Koronin vaults up the table 54 spots, as one is wont to do with an 1100 point week in March in this game (to put it in context, 3 times that would get you in the top 30 for the year). vladimir, who didn't appear on the Top Scorers list, makes a big move up 36 with no Valverde but thanks to the interesting team including Quintana, Stybar, Latour, and make-you-look-brilliant unique pick Christophe Laporte, plus no fewer than 3 riders scoring exactly 40 points this week. Manafana slides into third with another non-Valverde team, this time with Stybar, Latour, Terpstra and George Bennett. Even after watching all the week's racing, 'Zdenek Stybar' is not a name I'd think of as having several mentions in this update. Interesting!

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Kryvo 98
2 TheArt 90
2 Jon_Ezeitza 90
4 Nathanptz 80
5 archieboy 77

New leader this week! Kryvo was tied for 3rd at 80 last week but got 18 points this week to leapfrog former co-leaders TheArt and Jon_Ezeitza. No other movement at the top this week.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team
1 (+8) Kryvo 3767
2 (+14) Eyeballs Out 3759
3 (-1) TheArt 3754
4 (+2) Popchu 3711
5 (-4) Nathanptz 3693
6 (+7) PeterB 3598
7 (-3) ruvu75 3595
8 (+23) LaFlorecita 3577
9 (+54) Koronin 3572
10 (+25) Shawnm4747 3564

And the Green Jersey competition isn't the only thing Kryvo takes the lead in this week. Look at that carnage! some enormous leaps going on in the top 10, and some pretty serious upheaval. The top is incredibly tight, with 13 points separating the top 3! 4th and 5th are around 50-60 points back of the podium. This is quite the race going on. Who knows what will happen while Valverde goes into two week hibernation until the Ardennes? This year is becoming one of the most changeable I can remember. As far as the top 10 goes, Kryvo was already in 9th place, but Eyeballs Out takes a big leap into the top 10, as does PeterB. And enormous leaps for LaFlo, of course Koronin (54 places! Into 9th!) and Shawnm4747. Condolences to Squire, trackstand, Blues in the bottle, Valv.Piti, and omg LosBrolin who each fall out of the top 10.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

This is my last week doing updates for awhile! EvansIsTheBest takes over for April, while I go watch some of my CQ team live while biking around myself. Then I go out to work for May-July, and I'm still looking for people to do June and July updates! Please contact me if you are available/interested.

Dwars door Vlaanderen
TERPSTRA Niki
WALLAYS Jelle
MOSCON Gianni
HALVORSEN Kristoffer
VAN POPPEL Danny
DE BIE Sean
WAEYTENS Zico

Route Adélie de Vitré
COSNEFROY Benoit

Gran Premio Miguel Indurain
BETANCUR Carlos
SESSLER Nicolas

Ronde van Vlaanderen
TERPSTRA Niki
WALLAYS Jelle
MOSCON Gianni
CAPIOT Amaury
DE BIE Sean
COQUARD Bryan

La Roue Tourangelle Région Centre Val de Loire - Trophée Harmonie Mutuelle
VENTURINI Clément
COSNEFROY Benoit

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I knew the cobbles were going to be difficult for my team. With Catalunya going a bit worse than I expected, I got -31 this week. Next week will be difficult as well, unless I get some unexpected fluke result on the cobbles. Hopefully I can bounce back with Pais Vasco and the Ardennes.........

Re:

Squire said:
Volta Ciclista a Catalunya (2.UWT)
MAS Enric
CHAVES Johan Esteban
FORMOLO Davide
LATOUR Pierre
WOODS Michael
DUARTE Fabio

Not bad at all. Only GC guys. All of them can be top 10-15.
With emphasis on can.

Disastrous last week for me. Latour was the only bright spot. And I could maybe also add Brenton Jones' 4th place in a small French race. At least it shows that he won't be a no-show in Europe.

Only thing I can do is look ahead. But this week doesn't look any more promising. I really need Alaphilippe to tear it up in the Basque country when we get so far.

Dwars door Vlaanderen - A travers la Flandre (1.UWT)
HALVORSEN Kristoffer
VAN POPPEL Danny
DE BIE Sean

Route Adélie de Vitré (1.1)
ENGER Sondre Holst

Gran Premio Miguel Indurain (1.1)
TAARAMÄE Rein
BETANCUR Carlos

Ronde van Vlaanderen - Tour des Flandres (1.UWT)
CAPIOT Amaury
DE BIE Sean
COQUARD Bryan
MÜLLER Patrick

La Roue Tourangelle Région Centre Val de Loire - Trophée Harmonie Mutuelle (1.1)
WELTEN Bram
ENGER Sondre Holst

I'll be so happy when this cobbles season is over...

Very interesting to see the movements at the top. Actually I'm a bit surprised to move up to a fourth spot, although I had some really good performances which I'm really happy with. Latour, Rosa and Boudat did great, while Guardini, Capiot and Stybar were also good (but not very good) in races in which I expect them to excel. On the other hand, Lutsenko is a bit underperforming in the classics, but he had his amount of bad luck in Sanremo and Harelbeke. Also Mas is not really stepping up his game, but I'll give him time. Atapuma is simply a waste of space and points. I have really no idea what I was thinking when picking him. Well, he can only surprise I guess.

Dwars door Vlaanderen: Stybar, Phinney, Lutsenko, Halvorsen, Van Poppel, De Bie, Vanspeybrouck
Route Adélie de Vitré: Boudat
Gran Premio Miguel Indurain: Betancur
Ronde van Vlaanderen: Lutsenko, Stybar, Coquard, Vanspeybrouck, De Bie, Phinney, Capiot (?)
La Roue Tourangelle: Boudat

Stybar, Lutsenko and Boudat have to deliver.

Uh, WOW! I think I'm also going to frame this update. This may very well be the only time I see the top 10 this year, but I'll take whatever I can get. I'm in shock, although I guess that's what having Valverde, Soler, Terpstra, Stybar on your team will do for you in the right week. I had no idea it was possible to get over 1K points in a week (that doesn't include GT GC points). Guess you need the exact right combination of riders for that to happen. I'm sitting here in shock. I never expected to win a week either, and esp not with those numbers.

Re:

Koronin said:
Uh, WOW! I think I'm also going to frame this update. This may very well be the only time I see the top 10 this year, but I'll take whatever I can get. I'm in shock, although I guess that's what having Valverde, Soler, Terpstra, Stybar on your team will do for you in the right week. I had no idea it was possible to get over 1K points in a week (that doesn't include GT GC points). Guess you need the exact right combination of riders for that to happen. I'm sitting here in shock. I never expected to win a week either, and esp not with those numbers.

You def had the right combo of riders this week. I'm jealous. Keep riding Valverde to the top. I'll sit here and watch Allaphillippe be good but not good enough.

bminchow said:
Koronin said:

You def had the right combo of riders this week. I'm jealous. Keep riding Valverde to the top. I'll sit here and watch Allaphillippe be good but not good enough.

Thanks. I'm still a bit shocked how well my team did last week. It wasn't just Valverde. Terpstra and Stybar doing what they are supposed to be doing in one day races helped as well. As I said when I picked my team, I picked a few of my favorite riders to start with then filled in the rest of the team. (Valverde, Terpstra, Stybar, Soler being those favorite riders to put a team around).

Not a two week hybernation for Valverde before the Ardennes. Obviously won GP Miguel Indurain today and is racing Klasika Primavera next Sunday, then an assault on the Ardennes. Then he'll go into hibernation for a few weeks. (Well celebrate his birthday then take his family on a vacation.)

Re:

Koronin said:
Not a two week hybernation for Valverde before the Ardennes. Obviously won GP Miguel Indurain today and is racing Klasika Primavera next Sunday, then an assault on the Ardennes. Then he'll go into hibernation for a few weeks. (Well celebrate his birthday then take his family on a vacation.)

And now Terpstra takes another monument. :D

Terpstra's success, Moscon's failure. Came so close to picking Terpstra, but just can't get excited when he wins. So went for Moscon on the cobbles, and for his versatility through the season. He still might do something at Roubaix, which is his best race in theory.

Porte's finally back at Pais Vasco, but isn't aiming for GC. With Pantano being a millstone CQ-wise, that's my three most expensive picks looking like they'll make parity at best. The game is effectively over as a competition for me this year. Still a small chance of beating last year's 30th position though, and am going to enjoy following most of the riders on the team

VASCO

Porte
LaTour
Mamykin
Lambrecht
Craddock
Sivakov

Scheldeprijs

Halvorsen
De Bie
Capiot
Enger
Guarnieri

My 5 most expensive riders are: Valverde, Roson, Stybar, Soler, and Terpstra. Not doing too badly. Also 5 riders I enjoy watching and cheering for.

Vasco

Betancur
Luis Mas
Cummings
Powless
Carthy
Carddock

Scheldeprijs

Stybar
Cavendish
Doull

(Hopefully Cav can stay on his bike and maybe Stybar can get get some points. Hopefully Cummings is going to be targeting a stage for a break?) Otherwise I'll just wait for Sunday and the Quickstep team. (I guess Valverde can pick up some points at Klasica Premavera).

Very happy with my pick of Terpstra. He should join Soler, Craddock, Hodeg, Castrillo, and Madous in positive points territory.

This week, good start already with Mas in Itzulia.

Vuelta al Pais Vasco (2.WT)
Latour
Enric Mas
Moser
Mamykin
Felline

Scheldeprijs (1.HC)
Jakobsen
Halvorsen
Minali
Capiot
Enger
Cavendish

Circuit de la Sarthe (2.1)
Nizzolo
Coquard

Paris-Roubaix (1.WT)
Terpstra
Sénéchal

Update: Lightbing dominates De Ronde, dominates the week

Hi, I’ll be taking over for skidmark for the month of April. Sorry for the late update but CQ decide to wait until the end of the first stage of Pais Vasco to publish the update so I couldn’t get to it yesterday.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 LightBing 695
2 jsem94 668
3 scrooll07 656
4 Koronin 632
5 Roubaix 631

With the biggest race of the week being the Ronde Van Vlaanderen, LightBing took advantage of the Boonen-sized hole in the Quick Step lineup to ride former teammate Terpstra to victory. There was support from other riders (Benoot, Vanmarcke, Politt, Haussler) but with only Alaphilippe contributing outside of Flanders, there’s no question where the scoring came from. Jsem94 (Terpstra, Vanmarcke, Valgren) is barely edged out from the top spot and would have been even closer had Anthony Turgis not managed to score -5 points on the week (what’s up with that?). Scrooll07 is third which proves that getting the top 2 right in a monument can cover for a rather lackluster week from everybody else (nobody else on their team scored above 30 points). Koronin continue to bulldoze their way to the top of the rankings (more on that later) with Terpstra, Stybar and as always Valverde. As you would expect during this time of year, Roubaix rounds out the top 5 with Vanmarcke, Stybar and Terpstra leading the way.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down
1 jsem94 (+34)
2 tom_jelte (+34)
3 Roubaix (+31)
4 simple (+31)
5 derrudi (+29)

Jsem94 gets the top spot this time but shares it with tom_jelte who used the two Quickstep guys and a fifth place from Eddie Dunbar in the Volta Limburg Classic to rise 34 places. Roubaix and simple (Terpstra and Vanmarcke) also rise more than 30 spots. Derrudi closes the top 5 with Terpstra (who else?) and Valgren.

Green Jersey Competition

1 Kryvo 98
2 TheArt 90
2 Jon_Ezeitza 90
4 LightBing 87
5 scrooll07 86

The podium remains unchanged but LightBing, scrooll07 and Koronin ride their great results to 4th, 5th and 6th respectively. With another week of cobbles classics, it might be their last opportunity to reach the top in a while.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team
1 (+1) Eyeballs Out 4258
2 (+7) Koronin 4204
3 (-) TheArt 4203
4 (+1) Nathanptz 4121
5 (+5) Shawnm4747 4067
6 (+13) GP Blanco 4026
7 (-) ruvu75 4025
8 (-2) PeterB 4023
9 (+17) LightBing 4022
10 (+4) trackstand 4003

Former leader Kryvo slips all the way to 13th but that’s hardly surprising in the middle of the cobbles season with a team headlined by Valverde, Izagirre, Lopez, Chaves, Latour, Gaudu and Kudus. Better days ahead to be sure. Eyeballs Out barely holds off Koronin with 53 of the 54-point margin coming from the first stage of Pais Vasco. TheArt stays in third while GP Blanco, LightBing and trackstand make their entry in the top 10. Meanwhile, Popchu (no Terpstra) and LaFlorecita (nobdy besides Terpstra) fall out.

This Month's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this month
1 Koronin 2466
2 Eyeballs Out 2408
3 Shawnm4747 2222
4 scrooll07 2087
5 TheArt 2035
6 GP Blanco 2016
7 PeterB 1973
8 Manafana 1947
9 LightBing 1931
10 LaFlorecita 1924

With the first big month of the season done, it’s no surprise to see the monthly ranking is very similar to the overall ranking. Koronin and Eyeballs Out swap the top spot. Shawnm4747, TheArt, GP Blanco, PeterB and LightBing also feature on both top 10. Scrooll07 is third this week, fourth this month and twelfth overall. LaFlorecita is fourteenth overall and Manafana is the lowest of the monthly top 10 at a very respectable eighteenth overall still.

This Month's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down
1 Koronin (+75)
2 Eyeballs Out (+62)
3 Shawnm4747 (+59)
4 JPettersen (+55)
5 armchairclimber (+53)
6 scrooll07 (+49)
7 archieboy (+47)
7 Carlo_Algatrensig (+47)
7 jsem94 (+47)
10 oliveira (+45)

No surprise here, as Koronin jumps all the way from 77th to 2nd and Eyeballs jumps 62 spots into first place and Shawnm4747 id this month’s third highest mover. How about JPettersen though? Their team is the embodiment of consistently good but not great, being currently ranked 28th overall and having climbed 55 spots in march while not scoring a single point in the green jersey competition. Armchairclimber and archieboy relied on Marc Soler to feature high on the list while Carlo Algantrensig used a pair of Yates brothers (picked 6 times combined) to have the most unique feel of the teams in the top 10. Finally, oliveira rounds out the top 10 (having Sagan in march helps, I guess).

Link to the update : https://www.dropbox.com/s/dj5e1n1g4yxsalx/CQ 2018 update 12.xlsx?dl=0

I'd appreciate it if somebody could post the update on Velorooms. I can't register at the moment since the captcha in the registration form doesn't work. Hopefully, that will be solved for next week but until then the good folks over there deserve their weekly CQ update.

Now I'm off to see how bad my team was this week.

thanks mainly to Benoot and Terpstra I am up to the giddy heights of 16th, never been anywhere close to this high before. even van Baarle and Betancur scored points well!

hopefully Mas and Alaphillipe can continue as they are in Spain.

TRENDING THREADS