• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2018 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
jsem94 said:
There's so many "obvious" picks around the 100-200 point mark this year, but not as many obvious picks in the 500+ range, and you need a few of those just to get to 7500. Really difficult this year to pick the right high scoring riders.
Completely agree. My first list of 35 riders had a cost of only around 5500 points. I had to add a few more expensive picks just to get anywhere close to 7500 points but that also means that I now have a few risky picks in my team. Now my big struggle is to decide which riders with 0-200 points I'll kick out of my team.
Yup. Still hinges on a few rider's contracts. Not sure what the Lobato situation is for instance, or Arredondo. Yeah, these are spoilers, but few will have missed these.

Oct 15, 2017
Visit site

jsem94 said:
Gigs_98 said:
jsem94 said:
There's so many "obvious" picks around the 100-200 point mark this year, but not as many obvious picks in the 500+ range, and you need a few of those just to get to 7500. Really difficult this year to pick the right high scoring riders.
Completely agree. My first list of 35 riders had a cost of only around 5500 points. I had to add a few more expensive picks just to get anywhere close to 7500 points but that also means that I now have a few risky picks in my team. Now my big struggle is to decide which riders with 0-200 points I'll kick out of my team.
Yup. Still hinges on a few rider's contracts. Not sure what the Lobato situation is for instance, or Arredondo. Yeah, these are spoilers, but few will have missed these.
I didn't know about these two, and I'm suspicious of them as good picks because they have not been performing. Maybe it's a mistake, I have not been following cycling as closely as I was 5 years ago... I am also finding myself with a lot of easy 500+ picks. I have 5, maybe 6, right now.

Lobato got fired from Lotto and doesn't have a contract yet.

Arredondo has had injury problems and underwent surgery last month I believe. He's also out of contract and needs 20 weeks rest before rehab I read. So maybe not a great pick anyway. Earmarked for 2019 though.

Hey everyone! Thanks for everyone who's sent in a team so far; only 6 days to go until the submission deadline, 7 until the confirmation deadline/reveal. Game starts in a week, phew!

I have 18 submissions so far, a few more than at this time last year, but the vast majority of them came in the last two days anyway so it doesn't make too much of a difference at this point (although it'd be great if you have your team done if you get it in earlier so I don't have to process 100 teams in the last 36 hours). All 18 are returning players so far, nobody new just yet.

There are 7 riders who have been picked by over 10 teams, but no one is as unanimous as you might expect - 2 riders are picked by 13 teams so far, 2 by 12 teams, 2 by 11 teams and 1 by 10 teams. It's shaping up to be an interesting year so far, can't wait.

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks - I'll be a bit more active then!

I'm using this game as an opportunity to identify some up and coming young riders that I hadn't previously heard of and to track their progress throughout the season. Even though many of these riders are good value, I'm still not sure that this is a good strategy - in particular those who make the move up to WT may not do better than last year as I suppose that most of them will just be domestiques!

As such I'm also trying to balance this out by including some more well known riders who seem very good value to me!

shalgo said:
monsieur_hulot said:
As a new member of the forum I don't seem to be able to send PMs at present - any other way I can submit my team?
I believe that you just need to make 5 posts to the forum before you can send PMs.
And yet the admins say that you may not make posts in order to increase your post count, even though precisely this scenario was pointed out to them. You could register at Velorooms.

shalgo said:
monsieur_hulot said:
As a new member of the forum I don't seem to be able to send PMs at present - any other way I can submit my team?
I believe that you just need to make 5 posts to the forum before you can send PMs.
It’s 5 posts to get past mod approval and 10 to use pm’s.

Monsieur_hulot, the 10 posts limit will be staying in place, but I’m sure you can find a few threads that interest you enough to reach that number. I’ll keep an eye out for your posts and make sure they get approved quickly.

King Boonen said:
shalgo said:
monsieur_hulot said:

Monsieur_hulot, the 10 posts limit will be staying in place, but I’m sure you can find a few threads that interest you enough to reach that number. I’ll keep an eye out for your posts and make sure they get approved quickly.

Good info, I am new and was curious to this as well. I made a few posts in the cyclocross area but didn't see them. I should be getting close. Thanks.

NorthAmericanScum said:
King Boonen said:
shalgo said:
monsieur_hulot said:

Good info, I am new and was curious to this as well. I made a few posts in the cyclocross area but didn't see them. I should be getting close. Thanks.
I’ve just approved them. None of the mods are big cyclocross fans so we can miss that forum st times. I’ll keep an eye out for you too.

King Boonen said:
shalgo said:
monsieur_hulot said:

So you are now actively advocating a course of action (make posts to increase your count) that you simultaneously support the prohibition of.

Special cases make for bad rules.

Armchair cyclist said:
King Boonen said:
shalgo said:
monsieur_hulot said:

So you are now actively advocating a course of action (make posts to increase your count) that you simultaneously support the prohibition of.

Special cases make for bad rules.
Clearly not and this has been pointed out to you before. If you persist is repeatedly causing the same discussion we will consider it trolling.

skidmark said:
Hakkie2 said:
LaFlorecita said:
A little note: while entering my own team and the other team I've received for the Youth game, I noticed two riders' scores were off, the scores in the latest update do not match the scores on the website. I have no idea for how many other riders this is the case. None of the riders' results were in the last month or so, I checked if there had been any amendments in the results but I haven't found anything that could explain this discrepancy. I would advise against using the team builder for now or to check and enter the scores manually.

So what is the value to be used? Is it the value in the latest Excel file from cqranking.com, the Total 2017 value on the website, or the Current CQ-value on the website?

I have btw discovered a 3rd rider whose value doesn't match, not related to doping but most likely because one of his results is still listed as provisional on the website. I expect this rider to be reasonably popular in Flo's game.

Hey Hakkie and everyone else, so you should double check all your scores on the website (using the Total 2017 scores). The December 31st update is the official one used for the game, so if there are differences with the last one up (November 26th as of now), they will be currently reflected on the website but not in the last update.

However, I talked to Flo about the riders who she had noticed with changed scores, and I changed them manually in the 'Create Your Team' file. So if you are using the current version of that (linked to in the first post), those will be corrected. I've also made the change in my copy of the game spreadsheet, so that I'll notice if a team is over 7500. However, if you know of another rider, please PM me and let me know who this is so I can make the changes.

Hey Skid

How would you prefer modifications to our rosters to be sent? I have a few changes to make. Should I just send my entire modified roster or do you just want the riders I am changing out?

I have tried to send my team a couple of times but my messages are in the outbox and rather than sent messages, I guess this is not OK or is that how the private messages work until they are read?

anyway, the team I have actually totals exactly 7,500 with 33 riders which I am happy with, I am also pretty happy with my choices. however clearly a load of riders I decided to leave off will do crazy well like Kwiatkowski and Teuns did last year...

Re:

escartin said:
I have tried to send my team a couple of times but my messages are in the outbox and rather than sent messages, I guess this is not OK or is that how the private messages work until they are read?

anyway, the team I have actually totals exactly 7,500 with 33 riders which I am happy with, I am also pretty happy with my choices. however clearly a load of riders I decided to leave off will do crazy well like Kwiatkowski and Teuns did last year...
No worries escartin. The message will stay in your outbox until it is read. And as you can see from the second post in the thread skidmark hasn't updated for a couple of days. So no need to worry yet, my submission is also still in my outbox :p

Hey all, pardon the delay in updating teams received and responding to questions about revisions - I actually have a good excuse... I was trapped off-grid by an avalanche that closed some roads around the remote area I was staying! Whoops, can't always predict mountain weather.

I will try to get to my ~20 unread PMs today, I've got about an hour right now so I'll plug away. re: revisions, if you make changes to your team, just send me the whole list again please. Thanks!

Oct 15, 2017
Visit site

Armchair cyclist said:
shalgo said:
monsieur_hulot said:
And yet the admins say that you may not make posts in order to increase your post count, even though precisely this scenario was pointed out to them. You could register at Velorooms.
Oh seriously? That’s not great to read.

King Boonen said:
shalgo said:
monsieur_hulot said:

Same problem for me, but not much time to reach the limit...

My team :)

400-500: 4
300-400: 3
200-300: 6
100-200: 6
>100: 11

Teams
5 Trek
4 Astana, Quickstep
3 Bora
2 Bardiani, Sky
1 AG2R, Burgos, Bahrain, BMC, Cofidis, Dimension Data, EF-Drapac, FDJ, Cycling Academy, Michelton, Sunweb, Sport Vlaanderen, Vital Concept

Countries
11 Italy
5 France
4 Colombia
3 Netherlands
2 UK, Norway
1 Belgium, Czech Republic, Spain, Estonia, Lithuania, Russia

28-30: 9
25-27: 5
22-24: 11
20-21: 6

I am going to play for the first time this year. Will send email with team shortly. I am including in my team 1 rider with no points at all. He is racing for a WT team next year, however I don't know if he can be included or not since he doesn't have any points. Let me know or just remove him from my team if he's not allowed on it due to no points. He's a youngster I like so I hope I'm allowed to include him on my team.

TRENDING THREADS