• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2020 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Update #2: It's a 2.2 Kinda Week

Quite often the week after the CQ game opens, there's a bit of a lull before the TDU sees the World Tour level teams hit the pavement, and the game has a bit of a quiet week. No exception this time, with a few picks riding the 2.2 Vuelta al Tachira or New Zealand Cycling Classic. CQ included the points from the first stage of Tropicale Amissa Bongo (which is strange since the update is dated January 19th but the stage was on the 20th), and that ended up determining the winner of the week. Well, CQ defines our weeks around these parts, so that's how it goes.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Fivezzz37
2adamski10132
3Blues in the bottle27
3Jakob74727
3triley3627

Elia's little brother was picked by 8 teams, and winning the opening stage in Gabon got Attilio Viviani 20 points for the win and 6 for the leader's jersey. Newcomer Fivezzz supplements that with 10 points from Luca Pacioni (4 teams) in Tachira and a single point from Jefferson Cepeda in the same race. That's enough for the weekly win! adamski101 nabs second with a similar combo, swapping out Pacioni for young Eritrean Biniam Girmay Hailu (5 points, 7 teams). A trio of teams tie for third with 27 points; two of them with Viviani/Cepeda, and triley36 with 24 points from Kevin Rivera (4 teams) and 3 for Daniel Munoz (2 teams)... which means that without Gabon's results, triley36 would have led the week.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1Muddy_Waters(+35)
2Fivezzz(+14)
3adamski101(+13)
4Blues in the bottle(+11)
4Jakob747(+11)
4triley36(+11)

It can only really happen in the second week of the season, but the leader in this category almost moved as many spots as the leader of the prior category got points! Muddy Waters managed to get in a place mid-table last week on McCarthy's 35 points, to where Viviani's 26 points leveraged their team quite a large leap in the standings! A fortuitous confluence of events. Fivezzz and adamski101 repeat their podium standing from the other ranking here with double-digit moves.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1will1047
2Fivezzz45
2the asian45
4adamski10135
5greenedge34

will10 manages to quickly move beyond the maximum weekly points total (refresher - the points here are awarded to the top 15 places weekly on a scale based off the TdF flat stage finish points from a few years back before they made it more top-heavy), leveraging 35 points for second place last week and 12 points for a 10th place finish this week to move clear of the field. The two weekly winners so far are tied for second. greenedge somehow managed to get 17 points both weeks, even though that's not an actual score for a placing (tied teams are given the average of the tied spots, ie if teams would have gotten 18 and 16 points for the two spots that are tied, I give them each 17). Anyway, the competition is underway!

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)147
2(-)will10137
3(-)dimasotf107
4(-)Mayomaniac100
5(+2)greenedge91
6(-2)rote_laterne90
7(-1)Falze82
8(+2)Tsyka74
9(+1)Squire70
10(-)ThePirate8169

Not a lot of movement but 7 of the teams in the top 10 scored some points this week (and 50 teams overall did). the asian holds onto the lead and the podium is identical to last week.

This week with the TDU offering lots of points should see a shakeup, as well as some riders in Gabon that will continue to score for some teams.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Thanks for the update!

Restrepo keeps me in the top 10. A pity with Alex Cepeda's injury in Táchira. He was looking really good. Hopefully he'll recover quickly.

If these guys...:
YATES Simon
BARDET Romain
HAAS Nathan
POWER Robert
KANTER Max
...do what they're supposed to this week, I have a hope of staying in the top 10.

Happy with how my Eritrean picks Biniyam Ghirmay Hailu and Henok Mulubrhan are going in Gabon so far. Stage win today and Henok can finish Top 3 overall. Also my very speculative pick Renus Uhiriwe from Rwanda is going ok, P19 overall atm.
I couldn't fit Henok in here in the main game, only have him in the youth game. Should maybe have prioritized differently, let's see in November. For my own team I'm a bit disappointed that Munyaneza lost 19 seconds today...

Damn, didn't Power cost only 56 points?

lmoKJTM.gif

I think this is the earliest I've had a pick turn a profit, thanks Levasseur !
Haas over 50% after 4 race days is pretty nice too.
On the flip side Minali is taking the week off and pretty much all my riders are out of the TDU GC.
The downside to having researched a lot of riders is that you're gonna get lots of annoying moments where you wish you'd picked them...

I have Levasseur in my youth game team, and he was 'standing by' for my main team if I needed someone at that cost. However it never turned out that way. But now I realise I should have picked him anyway. First big regret. Luckily he's only in two teams, but he could have given me such an edge!

I also think that Buitrago could become a very good pick, but I never considered him. Saw him as an anonymous Colombian a la Cristian Muñoz, but looking back now, his Valle d'Aosta results seem quite good. He's doing well in his first pro race, and I see he's down to ride the Tour of Japan, which could mean easy points for someone who can climb well. He's only on 8 teams though.

Reactions: postmanhat
I also think that Buitrago could become a very good pick, but I never considered him. Saw him as an anonymous Colombian a la Cristian Muñoz, but looking back now, his Valle d'Aosta results seem quite good. He's doing well in his first pro race, and I see he's down to ride the Tour of Japan, which could mean easy points for someone who can climb well. He's only on 8 teams though.

Buitrago can climb and is explosive, which is a good combination. I think he is a real talent and picked him for all my CQ games this year. At Valle d'Aosta he repeatedly jumped away from elite groups on the final climb and he did the same thing at a one day race in Lamporecchio, this time on the flat. Also he finished the Vuelta a Colombia for grown ups at age 18, which must have been really hard.

Reactions: Joelsim and Squire
And he might score at least 150 points from this race alone...
By accudent I first sent an early version of my team to Skidmark. (Un)fortunately I discovered my mistake and submitted the final version. Power is of course among the six that was dropped in my final team. I am just waiting for the other five to show stellar form as well:oops::

HODEG CHAGUI Alvaro Jose
GANNA Filippo
BARCELO ARAGON Fernando
RAVANELLI Simone
ROELANDTS Jürgen
POWER Robert

Ha ha. I REALLY missed him

Richie Porte already over 50%. Thought he might put a shift in as it's contract year, but I couldn't pick him after the thoroughly dispiriting experience of having him last season. I think only a handful of teams have him this time?
Just two teams have Porte.

Even though it's only TDU he did set a new record on Willunga Hill, so it doesn't appear as if he's declining and/or has lost his drive. Kinda took me by surprise TBH...

edit: ah, it's a contract year. That's a possible explanation.

TRENDING THREADS