• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2020 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
quite a lot of my rarer riders scored points this week: Sagan, WvA, Uran, Steimle, Danny vP, Stannard,
however, not having S Yates will definitely be an issue. him along with Kamna and Bouhanni are picks I thought about but unfortunately decided against. luckily I picked riders like Padun and Latour instead :rolleyes:

Decent week with some of my less popular picks like Steimle, Ghirmay, Sagam Cavagna grabbing a few points. Add those to the more popular selections such as Dumoulin, S Yates, Kragh Andersen, Kwiatowski, Bouhanni, Kamna etc, then will have a decent points haul, but not enough to move up the table too much.

Will be an interesting update this week.

Aru
Kuss
Pinot
Bardet
Kämna
Hirschi
Mohoric
Elissonde
Dumoulin
Kwiatkowski
Kragh Andersen

Not much for the sprint stages, let me correct that: there's nothing for the sprint stages. I am hoping for Kragh Andersen and Mohoric in breaks. Hopefully Mohoric will be allowed. Would also be good if Elissonde is allowed to not only babysit Porte. The two youngsters Hirschi and Kämna? No idea what to expect. Dumo and Pinot for the podium of course. Bardet to finish 7th. in the GC. And what about Aru? Is he still thinking of GC? Would love to see Aru target the polkadot with a stage win or two! Kuss showed some great form in the Dauphiné, but I doubt he will get many points. Kwiatkowski? Not a clue what to expect.
TdF points:
Aru - 0
Kuss - 135
Pinot - 54
Bardet - 4
Kämna - 174
Hirschi - 211
Mohoric - 20
Elissonde - 61
Dumoulin - 282
Kwiatkowski - 134
Kragh Andersen - 220

This wasn't quite what I had expected....

TdF points:
Aru - 0
Kuss - 135
Pinot - 54
Bardet - 4
Kämna - 174
Hirschi - 211
Mohoric - 20
Elissonde - 61
Dumoulin - 282
Kwiatkowski - 134
Kragh Andersen - 220

This wasn't quite what I had expected....

But 3, maybe 4 guys overacchieved (Kämna, Kragh, Hirschi and partly Hirschi) and only 3 underperformed - Pinot, Bardet and Aru. You lost potential GC points, but gained stage points.

Update #22: Yes, This Week Was as Big as You Thought it Was

This week saw not only the end of the biggest race of the year and highest CQ points of the year in the Tour de France, but the normal effect that has on other races - to avoid the Tour's schedule, unless you're counterprogramming like the Tour of Austria or occasionally Poland in an Olympic year - was null and void in the year of covid, and GC points for another top-tier WT race in T-A happened too, as well as a host of one-day Italian races, the 2.1 Tour of Slovakia, and a few one-day races in France and Belgium. So, how did that affect the points totals and standings? The answer is, a whole lot.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Jakob7471937
2Object1802
3Nicosix1785
4Marek1773
5Salvarani1703

Is 1937 the most points ever in a week? I am not a good enough historian to know off the top of my head, but I think maybe there was one week where someone broke 2000? I really don't know. But there is absolutely crazy strength in depth here - a full on 99 out of 113 teams scored at least 1000 points this week. So although lots of people scored at least 1/7.5 of their team's cost in a single week, your value above replacement level may vary.

One team that was certainly not complaining was the already-in-first-place Jakob747. One of the few teams that took a fairly wild-seeming chance on Pogacar at the start of the year, Jakob has reaped the benefits of beliefs in his young talents, and this week is the pinnacle of that faith. The 833 points from the young Slovenian and his phenomenal ride this week is definitely the highlight, but his selective more popular choices in Simon Yates (289) and Tom Dumoulin (282) really helped pad things too, as well as semi-rare picks like Steimle (158, 24 teams) and Kamna (124, 46 teams) and double stage-winner SKA (102, 43 teams) gaining over 100 points as well.

Object has little to complain about other than not getting first, as their team picked up 1802 points without Pogacar if you can believe it, but as one of the two who believed in Richie Porte (443 points), as well as more usual suspects of Yates, Dumoulin, Kwiatkowski, Andersen, as well as the rarer Sepp Kuss. Nicosix grabs third with an incredible grab-bag of riders including the more common Yates and Dumoulin, but also both main green jersey combatants Sagan (107 points) and Bennett (183 points), comeback kid Uran (203 points), Kelderman (146) and the ninja superdom Damiano Caruso (167, 2 teams).

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1Marek(+32)
2Nicosix(+22)
3Salvarani(+19)
4flashke(+17)
4abbulf(+17)

Well Jakob had absolutely zero spots to move up, so this ranking was going to be different, but Marek takes the prize, leaping up almost a third of the standings with a top loaded team of Pogacar, Yates, Dumoulin and Gaviria. Nicosix is the only double podium finisher, while Salvarani jumps almost 20 spots to take third.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Jakob747279.7
2ChrisDK192
3Wallenquist132
4EvansIsTheBest131
5Hakkie2122

I mean, there are a good few weeks left in the season that goes into November, but holy crap. Jakob has an almost two-week lead on the next closest competitor in the contest, and for third-place Wallenquist to catch Jakob, their team would have to win 3 weeks to double their score (135 points more to make 267), and then another top placing. Wow, this is like peak Sagan green jersey stuff.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)7489
2(-)EvansIsTheBest6603
3(+11)Object6530
4(+1)skidmark6493
5(+4)mineralJ6430
6(+4)Wallenquist6413
7(+4)Londonpat6378
8(-1)Lortnoc6362
9(-6)Nyssinator6335
10(-2)bminchow6306

Whew! Everything is coming up Jakob. After moving back into first last week, Jakob747 wins the week with one of the biggest weekly totals ever, so their lead balloons to almost 900 points. Literally 3 other teams are within 1000 points. However - Evenepoel's season is done, I'm not sure what Pogacar is doing but normally his season would be over after TdF victory, and Higuita sadly crashed out of the Tour. Jakob has picked wisely in taking Yates and Dumoulin, but the risk-heavy, top-heavy team has its strong weeks and its less strong weeks, and there may be less strong weeks to come. It is a giant cushion, though, and sincere hats off for having it all come together. As someone who plays this game in a pretty calculated way, I admire those willing to take big risks, and Jakob's passion for obscure and developing riders has always been evident, so I am genuinely thrilled to see it paying off. But I'm still counting the points between us with interest! EvansIsTheBest holds on to second, albeit now closer to those behind than those ahead, and Object turns their fantastic week to a huge jump onto the podium. Even with all the hubbub, the only new entrants into the top 10 are Object and Londonpat, while BlueRoads and Nathanptz fall out.

This next week - well, we get a calm week coming down from the Tour, right? No wait, it's the Worlds. This truncated season is thoroughly dizzying.

spreadsheet at dropbox

Given my lineup, the Worlds went as well as could be expected with Kwiatkowski, Valgren and Doumulin all getting something. Then a first and third for Bouhanni and Van Poppel at Paris-chauny. Bouhanni could have been a superb pick this year if so many non-WT races hadn't been lost. He's still pretty good, but very opportunities left for the likes of him and Van Poppel.

My Binckbank team is pretty weak - Hayter, Van Poppel, Steimle and De Bie

Fleche Wallone a little better - Valgren, Kwiatkowski, Moscon, Narvaez and Vanendert

Think I got 472 from the Worlds RR which was well above expectations.
This week:

Binck Banck Bonck
Sean de Bie
Soren Kragh Andersen
Max Kanter
Jannik Steimle
Taco van der Hoorn

Go Kragh!
Wonder what Steimle can do after his impressive performance in Slovakia

Fleche
Lennard Kämna
Marc Hirschi
Robert Power
Sepp Kuss
Tom Dumoulin
Clement Champoussin
Michal Kwiatkowski
Daniel Felipe Martinez
Ian Garrison
Andres Camilo Ardila

What a team!!! Some of the riders might be just a little bit tired, though.

And then there's the Giro on Saturday.

Think I got 472 from the Worlds RR which was well above expectations.
This week:

Binck Banck Bonck
Sean de Bie
Soren Kragh Andersen
Max Kanter
Jannik Steimle
Taco van der Hoorn

Go Kragh!
Wonder what Steimle can do after his impressive performance in Slovakia

Fleche
Lennard Kämna
Marc Hirschi
Robert Power
Sepp Kuss
Tom Dumoulin
Clement Champoussin
Michal Kwiatkowski
Daniel Felipe Martinez
Ian Garrison
Andres Camilo Ardila

What a team!!! Some of the riders might be just a little bit tired, though.

And then there's the Giro on Saturday.

For la Flèche I have a sightly similar team to yours:
Kämna, Hirschi, Dumoulin, Champoussin :confused:, Kwiatkowski, Martinez, Garrison, Ardila. Instead of Power, Kuss I have Bagioli, Lopez (J.P.), Battistella, Cosnefroy, Godon.

At Binck Banck: Nobody. Okay, Steimle. Geniets, Konychev and Cavendish. I think my heavy personal bias towards the Ardennes type, against the sprinters and cobbled classic's riders, has never shown more. I can only hope Steimle and Ackermann DO THEIR NATIONAL DUTY and dominate this race.
Also, the worlds were great for me, these races have to be, since the Giro will be a complete debacle for me. So will Roubaix, unless van Aert wins it and Quinn gets second.

Edit: Okay. I just went through the Giro startlist and I have AFFINI AND OOMEN. That's it. I'm going to pretend it does not take place.

Last edited:
Update #23: Wout Won't Stop

This week, the Worlds were the main course - normally of course, they'd be about the only thing, but in this pandemic-smushed schedule there were also a couple of 1.1 races in France and, very strangely, the Belgium nationals (with most of the best Belgian riders absent, no shade to Dries de Bondt). Alaphilippe was only picked by one player in this game (congrats to Josedin, who unfortunately only saw the rest of their team score 35 points and finished mid-table), so the top of the weekly table was dominated by those who had the double bridesmaid Wout van Aert. Perhaps unsurprisingly, teams with this fount of CQ points also dominate the top of the overall standings.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1BlueRoads1049
2Nathanptz866
3tom_jelte829
4bminchow823
5Londonpat810

BlueRoads cracks 1000 this week! As one of the 11 teams with WvA, their team is led with his 390 points, but as one of the 15 who also have Hirschi, there's 210 more, plus 180 from the more popular Kwiatkowski. And the cherry on top, 80 points from unique pick Dorian Godon for winning Paris-Camembert. Nathanptz will have to be content with 866 points on the week, as their team slots into second with the WvA-Hirschi combo accentuated by the 120 points stealthily scored away from the TV cameras by Nacer Bouhanni this week. tom-jelte nabs the final podium spot with the same combo as Nathanptz but subbing out Hirschi for Kwiatkowski and his 30 fewer points for being a tire's width behind.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1tom_jelte(+20)
2karaev(+19)
3Ferminal(+18)
4flashke(+15)
5will10(+13)

For once, this ranking is almost entirely different from the Top Scorers, largely due to the fact that most of the teams with WvA are quite high in the overall standings already and don't have far to rise. tom-jelte is the only repeat name on the list, moving up to 1st on this ranking with a 20 place jump. karaev is one slot behind (with an impressively top-heavy team of WvA, Bouhanni and Dumoulin plus 16 other points), and Ferminal takes third as the first team mentioned so far without van Aert, and one of the few with Matthews (128 points) and Geraint Thomas (110).

This Month's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints This Month
1Wallenquist3175
2Londonpat3034
3BlueRoads2995
4Lortnoc2889
5mineralJ2824

Wallenquist won a week a few weeks back, and was consistent enough over the weeks of September to take the top spot on the week, with a massive 3175 points. Of course, their top scorer by a mile was Wout van Aert (742 on the month), but solid contributions from the ubiquitous Dumoulin (372), the pretty popular Simon Yates (370), and the slightly less popular Kwiatkowski (314) helped as well. Soren Kragh (220), Lennard Kamna (174), Ethan Hayter (170) and Andrea Bagioli (127) were other notable contributors. Londonpat had the same top 4 scorers and some of the others, with Bouhanni (213) and Gaviria (169) subbing in. This week's winner BlueRoads comes very close to 3000 on the month, nabbing 2995 with much of the same lineup swapping Hirschi's 371 on the month for Yates' 370.

This Month's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1Salvarani(+39)
2flashke(+33)
3Nicosix(+29)
4armchairclimber(+28)
5Wallenquist(+27)

This list looks different than the last one as well! Again, as in the weekly ratings, many of the 11 teams with WvA were already somewhat high in the standings, so perhaps there wasn't that much higher to rise. Salvarani doesn't have van Aert, but has many of the other usual suspects in the Top Scorers list, with notable new name Enric Mas, who got 322 points for his 7 owners. Rare picks Kuss (145 points) and Narvaez (147) helped out too. Neither of the two other podium places have WvA either, as flashke (notable unmentioned riders included rare picks Uran with 222 and Alexander Krieger with 185) and Nicosix (Sagan, Sam Bennett, Kelderman, Caruso) make do without the cyclo-crosser as well.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Jakob747279.7
2ChrisDK192
3Nathanptz151
4BlueRoads148
4Wallenquist148

Jakob's fairly unassailable lead doesn't give up any ground to the closest competition, but it's buzzing below. Nathanptz, BlueRoads and Wallenquist were all in the top 10 scorers of the week and so used it as a springboard into the top 5 of this ranking. 6th overall bminchow also had 26 points on the week.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)7637
2(+3)mineralJ7235
3(+10)BlueRoads7226
4(+3)Londonpat7188
5(+5)bminchow7129
6(-)Wallenquist7123
7(+1)Lortnoc7068
8(+6)Nathanptz7026
9(-6)Object7005
10(-6)skidmark6983

Jakob747's post-Tour honeymoon was a short one, and the Worlds was a harsh reminder that the honeymoon is over and it's time to go back to work. Their team's 900-point buffer was more than cut in half this week, as places 2-8 overall were all in the top 10 of the week with >700 points (not coincidentally, those are 7 of the 11 owners of WvA), whereas Jakob was 105th with 148 points. Still, they have a 400-point buffer, Pogacar appears to be racing on, Higuita is on the mend, and Simon Yates is one of the few more popular expensive riders Jakob took and he looks like a Giro favourite. So we are gearing up for an interesting finish - if Van Aert can carry his form even further into the classics, it looks good for one of the top 8. Slightly more than 250 points separates places 2-10 so it is still pretty wide open. Last week may have been a massive week with Tour GC points and others, but this week sees almost as much shakeup in the standings at the top. BlueRoads uses the weekly win to skyrocket into the top 10, and Nathanptz enters with a similar flourish, while two teams fall out. Nyssinator slips from 9th to 13th, while EvansIsTheBest finally runs out of gas after being in either 1st or 2nd since before the pandemic, sliding 9 spots to 11th place. Much respect for the long run at the top.

Normally when the Worlds wrap up, we have a few weird end of season races left, some 1.1s in France and Italy ramping up to Lombardia and the shoehorned-in WT race in China. But since it's 2020 and everything is upended, the Worlds is followed by a week with the BinkBank Tour, Fleche and Liege, the Tour of Portugal, and the start of the Giro. A few more breakneck weeks to go! Good luck everyone, hope you're staying safe.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Thanks for the update Skidmark. I have had an indifferent season so far, so it's good to be on the high movers list (one of my key choices, Sarreau, was taken out ... probably for the season). Luckily Hirschi is doing pretty well for me. I stuck with him after last season. I wish I had stuck with Pogacar as well ... I'd be fighting for the lead now.

Hirschi and Søren Kragh are proving to be a nifty, little duo but my main weapon, Higuita, has come undone and so many riders on my team are just doing poorly. Nonetheless I have been steadily on the rise, yet kept out of a single mention in an update so far this season, I think. At least after the break.

In Binckbank I had high hopes for Kragh and Steimle but while the former is ruling the world, the latter got caught up in the crash on stage one.

For the Giro I need Simon Yates to win, and then I have Felline who shockingly won a race a few weeks back, Padun who apparently has inherited an invisibility cloak, Ballerini, who should get chances to win a stage and Oomen who might sneak a decent GC results.

In LBL, Hirschi, Kwiatkowski, Urán and Kämna seem to be my main guys as long with Dumoulin who is so popular that he doesn't matter in this game, Jorgenson and Ardila who has just been ridiculously poor post-break.

Let's take a look at my guys, shall we? I started this post a few days ago but then ditched the writeup when it looked like the BinkBank Tour would be called off. But now that it's back on, I've got Soren Kragh Andersen in 2nd with a stage win, and tomorrow is his kind of day. I've got Eekhoff in 13th, and he can probably also be there and thereabouts on the final stage. A third Sunwebber (Dainese) is in 18th place, but he should fall tomorrow, and somehow Cav is in the top 30 but should fall down the standings again tomorrow. Maybe Cav will get some top 10s at the Vuelta, I dunno. But that's not terrible considering my lineup wasn't that deep there. Van Poppel got a few points this week too.

Liege

Andrea Bagioli
Tom Dumoulin
Michal Kwiatkowski
Chris Froome

Oof, what a brutal lineup. Kwiatko can definitely top 5, and Dumoulin could on a good day but the only value of that is taking points away from other riders.

The GIRO

Nathan Haas
Davide Ballerini
Simon Yates
Louis Meintjes
Wilco Kelderman
Sam Oomen

With 6 guys over 3 weeks, I don't have a lot of room for error, but the best case result would be pretty good. Yates has to be one of the co-favourites and has looked progressively better between Pologne and Tirenno. He's on a lot of teams though. Oomen, who knows how he is, but he's on a lot of teams too. My make-or-break guys are Kelderman and Meintjes. Kelderman has been solid all year and can top 10 or even top 5, but of course 3 weeks means 21 opportunities to crash as he is wont to do. Meintjes is actually looking somewhat like his ninja top-10 self lately, so I won't be surprised with whatever happens. The other two guys can definitely get their chances... if Nathan Haas doesn't pick up points on stage 2 of the Giro, he's not gonna pick up any more points this year, that kind of stuff is made for him. Ballerini, I dunno if it's all in for him or Hodeg for the flat finishes, but there are enough uphill finishes and lumpy finales that he should get his chances, and he's looked great this year (even though I acknowledge he's gotten lots of chances because of the sad crash of Jakobsen). Look forward to seeing how it turns out, really excited for the Giro to happen!

Giro
HÄNNINEN Jaakko
CEPEDA Jefferson Alexander
YATES Simon
RUBIO Einer Augusto
SAMITIER Sergio
NARVÁEZ Jhonatan
FOSS Tobias
OOMEN Sam

Yates is the most likely to score any points. Oomen has potential to score some points in this race, but he is still slowly coming back. Hope he gets to do his own race. Narvaez has showed great form after the break so far. He is probably here to support Thomas though. Maybe he could get a chance to grab a stage or something, who knows.

The others are young guys, racing their first GT. I consider it a bonus if they are able to do something here.

I dont know why I picked Samitier tbh.

LBL
BAGIOLI Andrea
KÄMNA Lennard
DUMOULIN Tom
PEDERSEN Mads
VAKOČ Petr
VALGREN Michael
MÄDER Gino

Startlist not confirmed, but some promise of points maybe.

Meanwhile Kragh and Pedersen seems very likely to get a good result in Binckbank Tour, if all goes well today.

TRENDING THREADS