• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The 2021 sprinters thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
But even on this forum of bike race nerds I suspect that most people don’t carry that list of five around in their heads!

I was mostly interested in the stat because it shows how much the pool of regular winners in the big races has shrunk. In 2019 the top tier was huge by historical standards. tobydawg listed them a couple of posts ago. A couple of years later its two guys.
Sadly, we can blame some of that on one incident or I think we'd have a couple more. I do expect Groenewegen will make it back to the top. Hopefully, Jakobsen will be there as well but too early to know if he'll ever get back on his prior trajectory.

Lx6nOHp.png

I made a tierlist of the best sprinters of the year so far.

If you want to give it a go yourself you can do so here: https://tiermaker.com/list/random/sprinters-2021-737007/1363188

Cavendish below Philipsen and Sagan makes no sense.

I need to do a pre Tour round up or I’ll lose track completely. Bennett not racing and others catching up in his absence. Wins for Ewan, Merlier, Bauhaus, Cavendish. I haven’t even been following the little French one sprinter races Demare has been bulking up on (really I should have introduced a rule at the start that these only count for a tenth of a win as they have such a distorting effect), Ackermann... well... I don’t even know what to say...

Reactions: Sandisfan
I believe this is everything....
As of 9/21 stages finished.

Rider Wins (WT)
Cavendish 9(4)
Merlier 9(4)
Philipsen 8(2)
Bennett 7(4)
Demare 7(0)
Viviani 7(0)
Ewan 6(4)
Van Aert 6(4)
Jakobsen 6(3)
Ackermann 6(0)
Bauhaus 6(0)
Sagan 3(3)
Van der Poel 3(3)
Ballerini 3(1)
Groenewegen 3(0)
Hayter 3(0)
Hodeg 3(0)
Laporte 3(0)
Pedersen 3(0)
Colbrelli 2(2)
Nizzolo 2(1)
Cort 2(0)
Greipel 2(0)
Kristoff 2(0)
Laas 2(0)
Arndt 1(1)
Bol 1(1)
Gaviria 1(1)
Dupont 1(0)
Einhorn 1(0)
Modolo 1(0)
Molano 1(0)
Paret-Peintre 1(0)
Steimle 1(0)
Tesson 1(0)
Van Poppel 1(0)
Walls 1(0)

Last edited:
Should Hayter's win on the last stage in Andalucia count as well?
The sprint itself wasn't an uphill battle (only for Stannard), but there were only 12 riders left after the last climb.
“ The count is of wins in finishes that could reasonably be considered bunch sprints, including reduced bunch sprints. Other wins by sprinters don’t count. In general if there’s some doubt about whether it should count, it will get the benefit of the doubt.”

Sounds like it’ll count according to OG post.

I believe this is everything....
As of 7/23 Stage 4 Tour de Wallonie.

Rider Wins (WT)
Cavendish 9(4)
Bennett 7(4)
Merlier 7(2)
Demare 7(0)
Van Aert 5(4)
Ewan 5(3)
Ackermann 5(0)
Bauhaus 5(0)
Sagan 3(3)
Van der Poel 3(3)
Ballerini 3(1)
Philipsen 3(0)
Viviani 3(0)
Colbrelli 2(2)
Greipel 2(0)
Groenewegen 2(0)
Laporte 2(0)
Nizzolo 2(1)
Bol 1(1)
Dupont 1(0)
Hayter 1(0)
Jakobsen 1(0)
Paret-Peintre 1(0)
Pedersen 1(0)
You are a hero. I was shirking going back through months of results.

I think it's safe to say, that the Dutch boys are back.
Some people “It’S jUsT tHe ToUr De WaLlOnIe, WeAk FiEld WiTh No EwAn, BeNnEtT, vIvIanI, mErLiEr, DeMaRe, Or AcKeRmAnN.”

In all seriousness it is good they got 2 a piece. They’ll probably split the Vuelta stages. More happy for Jakobsen especially since he is younger. He should win comeback of the year honestly. Got to win as much as you can before falling off and next crop comes.

They’ll probably split the Vuelta stages.

Pretty sure Groenewegen isn't going to the Vuelta. This is his schedule, according to PCS:

Upcoming participations
Sure, he wasn't going to go the the Giro either, originally. But I think that change of plan was because the races he'd otherwise been up for racing in that period got cancelled.

TRENDING THREADS