• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2022 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not the ideal start to the season, but am reasonably sanguine about not having Plapp, as I knew very little about him, and already had quite a lot young/Ineos riders, and so never really considered him. It's the one's who you purposefully discard, or miss completely that really grate :)

Last edited:
Speaking of Lotto, one factor I did not consider is the fight for points amongst the less successful teams whose WT licence could be under threat. Could play in to my favour with some riders as both Kron and Vermeersch look like their schedules include lower ranked races this year, where they might have a greater chance of success. Beginning to wish I hadn't opted against Ivan Sosa or Muhlberger now, as Movistar might employ similar tactics?

Reactions: Koronin
Update #1: 2022 - Luke's good so far

And we are off! The CQ game has its first official results a spreadsheet update. Just a TT and road race in Australia, and just a handful of pro riders that were picked for this game, but the big winner was a moderately popular pick here in Luke Plapp. There are a lot of teams tied, as to be expected, but the game is underway and real points are being scored!

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints
1Eyeballs Out150
1Nakazar150
3DJ Sprtsch112
3shalgo112

5th place is shared by 30 teams that have Plapp as their sole scorer with 100. Eyeballs Out and Nakazar get the first mentions of the season, as they had the two winners in Plapp (RR, 100 points) and Dennis (TT, 50 points). DJ Sprtsch and shalgo got George Bennett's 12 points from the 2.2 New Zealand Cycling Classic race to go with Plapp's to score a place on the podium.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Eyeballs Out40
1Nakazar40
3DJ Sprtsch28
3shalgo28

A reminder of what this competition is about - each week, the weekly wins get graded like stage wins at the Tour, rewarding teams that are highly placed in given weeks. Often this coincides with teams that do well in the game, but it also rewards teams with rare picks that score highly in specific races, so there's often a mix at the top.

Points are based on TdF stage points from the mid- 2010s, which are 45-35-30-26-22-20-18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2 for the top 15 finishers each week. Tied teams split the points - Eyeballs Out and Nakazar split the first and second points (45 + 35 = 80 / 2 = 40 each), same with DJ Sprtsch and Shalgo splitting the 30 and 26 for the places they tied for. The 30 teams that tied below that got 5 points each for their share of the remaining places (Technically 5.03, but that's too minute to track).

Normal updates will include the top 10 overall, but of course this week it's the same as the weekly total. Historically, I have summarized High Movers, ie the teams that move up the standings the most in a week. This will still be tracked on the spreadsheet, but I announced at the end of last season that this part would no longer feature on the weekly updates. Theoretically I'll summarize top monthly scorers as well, but I kept forgetting to do that last year. I will try to remember this year!

The actual updated spreadsheet will be linked to in dropbox every week, in case you want to look through the whole thing. Here is this week's. I've got some cleanup left to do still, but the main rankings tabs should work.

There is still racing going on this week, with the 2.2 Vuelta a Tachira and the 1.2 Valencia race on the weekend. Both have a few ProTeams, so there may be some points scored. If CQ releases an update, I will update as well, but if they don't release one for two weeks until after the Mallorca races, I'll wait until then as well.

Good luck all! Nice to be underway again.

Speaking of Lotto, one factor I did not consider is the fight for points amongst the less successful teams whose WT licence could be under threat. Could play in to my favour with some riders as both Kron and Vermeersch look like their schedules include lower ranked races this year, where they might have a greater chance of success. Beginning to wish I hadn't opted against Ivan Sosa or Muhlberger now, as Movistar might employ similar tactics?

Also, Ewan will now because of this score 2000 points at least :hearteyes:

Now that the team entry, reveal and first update are out of the way, I am making sure of a few of the supplementary details. The 'Rank Popularity" tab is the one that shows the teams from most-picked cumulative riders to least-picked. It was updating before, but had only teams that participated last year, as the page was created with last year's participants. So I updated it to include all the teams; final listing is copied below.

Also one other housekeeping matter - long-time participant Blues in the bottle sent in a team a few days after the deadline, before looking at the thread and hoping they made the deadline. They didn't, but I've included their team with an asterisk next to the name. Their team won't feature in the final standings should they end on the podium, but I wanted to include them so they could follow along.

Ok here are the team rankings:

I like to start in the 88th place of popular cyclists. If the bet goes well for me, I will finish close to the podium or on it. Although if the bet goes wrong, I will end up among the last. This year I have made a strong bet for young cyclists; my team has an average age of 21 years and 8 months.

Clement Berthet (114, 2) – I always like the potential of a ‘switch to road cycling’ experiment, whether it’s from another sport (Roglic, Woods, Evenepoel) or from another discipline (Evans, MvdP, all the trackies and crossers, too many to list). But that also comes with some uncertainty – Bora’s various experiments over the past couple of years haven’t borne fruit, and guys like, say, Ondrej Cink dipped in and out pretty quickly. Berthet was someone who I figured had done enough in his first year since switching from MTB to show that he had a solid baseline and wouldn’t flame out. He got some respectable placings early in the season, then several more after switching from the troubled Delko to Ag2r’s setup in August. His highest result wasn’t anything to shoot fireworks off about (14th in Poland), but it was at the only WT race he did. On top of that, he finished every race except Turkey and a small 1.1 race, and made it to the end of a bunch of late-season one-day races in groups that were respectable enough to be a few minutes behind the leaders but not enough to up his CQ price. Keep that consistency and up the level a bit as he becomes more accustomed to the peloton, and I’m hopeful of a 300+ point campaign, which I’d be happy with.

There are so many interesting French prospects coming through with mountain bike backgrounds.

Clément Berthet - OK for me he was not a super standout in MTB: Good but not exceptional. Anyway, allegedly he has some very impressive physical numbers and when he went on camp with Delko on La Plagne , he was pretty much the best uphill immediately according to his agent, Le Mevel! As a consequence, they signed him on a 4-year deal. He broke his collarbone in Turkey, but as you said a very decent first-year on the road and I think he can develop further in 2022 - Interesting profile.

Axel Zingle - I already wrote about him above in some posts, but I forgot to add that when he won his bronze medal at the junior European MTB championships back in 2016 he came on the radar for many. In 2018 after he won silver at the U23 MTB French champs, Rod Ellingworth contacted him and invited him to a small internship with SKY, so this is a kid that has been monitored by the biggest teams in the world. Finally some good vision from Cofidis in signing him. -

Victor Koretzky - By far the best MTB rider of this group, let's see if that also translates to the road, as he in all honesty is a bit older than the others on this list. Junior world MTB champ and U23 silver medalist at the Euros among his many merits. I swear I haven't even noticed he sign a contract with B@B - but the statement about him reads and I quote - Victor is of the caliber of Van Der Poel or Pidcock :D, ha.ha . Pineau'ss troops are certainly not modest, I say less could do, but OK he will be interesting to follow as well.

Finally, Clement Champoussin was a really good MTB rider as a junior, --- junior French Champ in 2016, and 5th at the Euro Championships. Can he continue his growth from 2021? Besides O'Connor, he is probably AG2R strongest card for stages-races in 2022.

There are so many interesting French prospects coming through with mountain bike backgrounds.

Clément Berthet - OK for me he was not a super standout in MTB: Good but not exceptional. Anyway, allegedly he has some very impressive physical numbers and when he went on camp with Delko on La Plagne , he was pretty much the best uphill immediately according to his agent, Le Mevel! As a consequence, they signed him on a 4-year deal. He broke his collarbone in Turkey, but as you said a very decent first-year on the road and I think he can develop further in 2022 - Interesting profile.

Axel Zingle - I already wrote about him above in some posts, but I forgot to add that when he won his bronze medal at the junior European MTB championships back in 2016 he came on the radar for many. In 2018 after he won silver at the U23 MTB French champs, Rod Ellingworth contacted him and invited him to a small internship with SKY, so this is a kid that has been monitored by the biggest teams in the world. Finally some good vision from Cofidis in signing him. -

Victor Koretzky - By far the best MTB rider of this group, let's see if that also translates to the road, as he in all honesty is a bit older than the others on this list. Junior world MTB champ and U23 silver medalist at the Euros among his many merits. I swear I haven't even noticed he sign a contract with B@B - but the statement about him reads and I quote - Victor is of the caliber of Van Der Poel or Pidcock :D, ha.ha . Pineau'ss troops are certainly not modest, I say less could do, but OK he will be interesting to follow as well.

Finally, Clement Champoussin was a really good MTB rider as a junior, --- junior French Champ in 2016, and 5th at the Euro Championships. Can he continue his growth from 2021? Besides O'Connor, he is probably AG2R strongest card for stages-races in 2022.

Thanks for this context on these riders, that is great to know a bit more about them. I don't manage to pull as deep into riders' performance history and development in other disciplines, so this is good to know and follow about these guys. I've never even heard of Zingle before he was mentioned a few pages ago in this thread, and Koretzky was a name I was aware of but knew nothing about.

Okay, I've updated the spreadsheet to clean some things up. Here is a summary of some of the updates:

• I've redone the popularity table to reflect the corrections (spelling errors, missed teams, etc).
  • I've gotten rid of the excess tabs from past teams that are no longer participating.
  • I've entered the "Collective Wisdom" team that Armchair Cyclist identified upthread. If folks would like to track how this team is doing relative to the submitted teams, I've included a slot for that team on the "Rankings" tab but not the "Update" or "Week & Month" tabs.

Alright! So... how long until televised racing?

That's great news that this 2.2 race is going to be broadcast! A nice appetizer.

The startlist is up on PCS as well - folks might wanna check it out as there are several ProTeams there, like TotalEnergies, Caja Rural, Bardiani, Eolo, Arkea, etc. I've got a rare rider in Iuri Leitao, 15 big points up for grabs!

And heck, while we're at it, startlists are up for Mallorca as well, so might as well start taking a look at the European racing ahead!

I've got:

Ivan Sosa
Jai Hindley
Cian Uijtdebroeks
Matthew Walls
Carl Fredrik Hagen
Amund Jansen
Kaden Groves
Antonio Tiberi
Iuri Leitao
Sacha Modolo

Hmm, a mixed bag. I'd be happy to see some top 10s on the flatter races from Walls, Modolo and Leitao... not sure if Groves is still just a stage sprinter or if he can contest the one days yet. Sosa could feature in the hilly ones if he's in some form, and Jansen and Tiberi can sometimes make selections depending on the race. Not expecting anything from Hagen and Hindley, and very curious to see whether Cian does anything in his pro debut.

They've got startlist up for Marseillaise as well it looks like, though at a glance I don't have anyone. Well, slow start to the season!

That's great news that this 2.2 race is going to be broadcast! A nice appetizer.

The startlist is up on PCS as well - folks might wanna check it out as there are several ProTeams there, like TotalEnergies, Caja Rural, Bardiani, Eolo, Arkea, etc. I've got a rare rider in Iuri Leitao, 15 big points up for grabs!

And heck, while we're at it, startlists are up for Mallorca as well, so might as well start taking a look at the European racing ahead!

I've got:

Ivan Sosa
Jai Hindley
Cian Uijtdebroeks
Matthew Walls
Carl Fredrik Hagen
Amund Jansen
Kaden Groves
Antonio Tiberi
Iuri Leitao
Sacha Modolo

Hmm, a mixed bag. I'd be happy to see some top 10s on the flatter races from Walls, Modolo and Leitao... not sure if Groves is still just a stage sprinter or if he can contest the one days yet. Sosa could feature in the hilly ones if he's in some form, and Jansen and Tiberi can sometimes make selections depending on the race. Not expecting anything from Hagen and Hindley, and very curious to see whether Cian does anything in his pro debut.

They've got startlist up for Marseillaise as well it looks like, though at a glance I don't have anyone. Well, slow start to the season!

That is actually quite a lot of riders for Mallorca. So I wouldn't call that a slow start. That's 5 fun races to watch for you. I only have 6 riders it looks like. So I will also be looking for Groves and Modolo on the flatter stages. And three Bora Riders, Hindley, Bachmann and Uijtdebroeks. of course there are 14 names on the starting list, so that might change. If Walls starts, i think he could be good for a top 2 (Predicting victory is hard). And probably Schachmann for the hillier routes. But you never know where riders are at this early, so maybe Hindley or Buchmann can do something.

I have eight riders that will begin their season in Mallorca:

Gregor Mühlberger
Emanuel Buchmann
Jai Hindley
Matthew Walls
Amund Grøndahl Jansen
Antonio Tiberi
Nicolas Edet
Carl Fredrik Hagen

Buchmann has won two races here and Walls could be a dark horse for the flat races. He can sprint. The others are decent riders as well and could score points, if they have a good day.

For GP Marseille it looks like I will only have Alberto Bettiol. In good form he could win depending on how tough the race is, but this might only be a preparation race for him here. Feels more likely that EF will ride for Cort, if the line up is correct.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS