• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2022 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I’m hyped to see who’s racing early on for my team.

As far as I can see, in Mallorca, I have:
GIRMAY HAILU Biniam
HINDLEY Jai
GROVES Kaden
MÜHLBERGER Gregor
UIJTDEBROEKS Cian

In GP La Marseillaise:
KORETZKY Victor

In Etoile de Bessèges:
MARTINEZ POVEDA Daniel Felipe
TULETT Ben
KORETZKY Victor

I’m now considerably less hyped.

Valenciana
Iuri Leitao
Pelayo Sanchez

Mallorca
Iuri Leitao
Pelayo Sanchez
Jai Hindley
Emanuel Buchmann
Biniam Girmay

Marseillaise
Tobias Halland Johannessen

It looks a bit thin... which makes sense given that most of my riders are on teams who won't start their season until February.

That is actually quite a lot of riders for Mallorca. So I wouldn't call that a slow start. That's 5 fun races to watch for you. I only have 6 riders it looks like. So I will also be looking for Groves and Modolo on the flatter stages. And three Bora Riders, Hindley, Bachmann and Uijtdebroeks. of course there are 14 names on the starting list, so that might change. If Walls starts, i think he could be good for a top 2 (Predicting victory is hard). And probably Schachmann for the hillier routes. But you never know where riders are at this early, so maybe Hindley or Buchmann can do something.

From my memory the Mallorca races usually have a large number of riders on the startlist depending on the team, as teams can send different lineups to different races. So some teams cycle riders in and out based on the profile, other teams bring a 'regular' team size and they race every race. So it's likely Bora's taking everyone, but not to every race.

Reactions: postmanhat
Hmm, a mixed bag. I'd be happy to see some top 10s on the flatter races

will also be looking for Groves and Modolo on the flatter stages

I've just been searching the net for profiles and it seems to me that the 5 races this year all more or less are suited to anything but fast-men.

Trofeo-Calvia-22022-Perfil.jpg

Trofeo-Serra-de-Tramuntana-2022-Perfil.jpg

Trofeo-Pollenca-Port-d-Andratx-2022-Perfil.jpg

Trofeo-Alcudia-Port-D-Alcudia-2022-Perfil.jpg

Trofeo-Playa-de-Palma-Palma-2022-Perfil.jpg

Reactions: postmanhat
First team line-ups :D

Mallorca looks like a combination of;

Kron
Modolo
Nieve
Cian
Buchmann
Jansen
Hagen
Edet
Rosa

These races have a lot of riders chosen for one one of my perhaps, less optimal reasons. I always like to have riders who will compete in the smaller races of the big four nations. Mainly to keep it interesting so I have more events to follow other than the few GC stages of WT races that actually matter, but it's also a good way to increase my cycling experience and knowledge. It can be very profitable, but also leads to decisions like choosing Nieve over the similar-priced Hindley, which is unlikely to be a good one. This was compounded by my mortal fear of having three similar GC riders on the same team, who might end up in the same race, and I already had Buchmann and Cian from the Bora jamboree of not-quite-good-enough climbers.

Anyway, that's mainly why the following are on my team;

Edet
Rosa
Modolo
Nieve
Rex
Askey
Lawless
Calmejane

And to a certain extent;

Vernon
Gregoire
Strand

Update #2: Small Week, Big Leaderboard

Yes there was racing this week, and yes there were points scored in this game! For 16 teams at least. And there was just enough to get some clear separation at the top of the overall standings. It's weeks like this that give those who chose rare picks a moment in the sun.

This Week's Top Scorers

Yes, only one team scored even in the double digits this week - okay, we're far from the GT GC weeks with 1000+ scores, but a week is a week in this game! Jakob747 sees a reward for his dedication to emerging talents from around the globe by finishing first on the back of 20 points from unique pick Didier Merchan. The Colombian neo-pro from Androni managed a stage win and 3rd on the GC at the 1.2 Vuelta a Tachira in Venezuela. If I needed more support for my personal theory that Jakob747 is actually Gianni Savio in the anonymity of a message board, here it is. The rest of the podium is split between 14 teams, all of which had Chris Lawless, who was a pointless rider last year (wording deliberately chosen as one of his owners last year) but sees an infinite return on investment in his very first race at the 1.2 race in Valencia.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Jakob74750
2Eyeballs Out40
2Nakazar40
4DJ Sprtsch28
4shalgo28

Jakob747 gets 45 points for the weekly win, surpassing the two teams who split last week's win and the corresponding points. All the teams that tied for 2nd got 15.92 points, which for coherence's sake I rounded up to 16 on the spreadsheet. But if there ends up being a dead heat for the top spot, I reserve the right to make a tiebreaker by counting back to the rounding!

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)154
2(-1)Nakazar150
3(+2)Jakob747120
4(-1)DJ Sprtsch112
4(-1)shalgo112
6(-1)repre108
7(-2)Amis_Velo100
7(-2)armchairclimber100
7(-2)Blues_in_the_bottle*100
7(-2)Blame it on the Boogie100
7(-2)bminchow100
7(-2)Devils_Elbow100
7(-2)Eric10100
7(-2)Hakkie2100
7(-2)Hugo Koblet100
7(-2)Jon_Ezeitza100
7(-2)Josedin100
7(-2)JumboVismaFan100
7(-2)Londonpat100
7(-2)Lortnoc100
7(-2)LosBrolin100
7(-2)MADRAZO100
7(-2)manafana100
7(-2)Martin100
7(-2)Nyssinator100
7(-2)Object100
7(-2)oliveira100
7(-2)Riverside100
7(-2)SafeBet100
7(-2)sam2837100
7(-2)scrooll07100
7(-2)search100
7(-2)Tigerion100
7(-2)tobydawq100
7(-2)will10100

You may have noted that I said 16 teams scored points this week, and the weekly leaders table had 1 leader and 14 teams with Lawless. Sneaking in 16th unremarked-upon until now was Eyeballs Out, who got 4 points from Tachira from unique pick Juan Diego Alba. And coincidentally, Eyeballs Out was tied for the lead last week with Nakazar, so this is enough to break the tie, congrats!

After these little morsels for appetizers, the European season (that is, above .2 level) starts this week, with the Mallorca Challenge races and Etoile de Besseges. There should be a bit more definition on the leaderboard come this time next week.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Covi and Kron, two riders that I will follow with interest, as they were very close to be part of my team.
Since I didn't select them I suspect Covi reaches 1000p and Kron has his breakthrough season.
I will follow Rubio, Umba and Kamp with the same kind of interest.

Buchmann, Rosa and Grosu in today's Mallorca race for me.

On another note, it looks like some sprinters will have a lot of easy points in Saudi Arabia. I will watch in horror while Bennett and Gaviria rack up the points, and will hope that my pick Ewan comes out on top.

TRENDING THREADS