• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2022 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I do not wish to be insensitive, and certainly hope that Bernal recovers quickly, but the extent of his injuries may open opportunities for Dani Martinez to score well this year. His presence on your CQ team might end up being a requisite for a top finish.

I do not wish to be insensitive, and certainly hope that Bernal recovers quickly, but the extent of his injuries may open opportunities for Dani Martinez to score well this year. His presence on your CQ team might end up being a requisite for a top finish.

I thought the same thing (and didn't write it because I also didn't want to seem insensitive). I was not too thrilled to have picked him initially, but now he can be a game changer.

I mean, Martinez probably just moved from 6th to 5th in the Ineos GC hierarchy.

(Probably 1500pts inbound now I've posted this)
He was Bernal's main helper with the same calendar as him this year, he was 5th at Giro last year in that role and probably would podiumed if hadn't to wait for Bernal couple of times. He is well rounded rider and can be capable co-leader now for the Bernal's objectives. In this game all you need is opportunity and it seems that Martinez has it now...

I mean, Martinez probably just moved from 6th to 5th in the Ineos GC hierarchy.

I would only rank Carapaz ahead of Martinez in GT GC hierarchy. I suppose you could make an argument for Thomas and (only because he has won a GT) Tao Geoghegan Hart, but I wouldn’t agree. If Carapaz goes to the Giro, I think Thomas would be the designated leader for the tour, and Martinez and TGH given free roles.

My hope from a CQ perspective would be that Martinez goes to Giro to support Carapaz and finishes high in GC like last year, and then gets to lead or co-lead the Vuelta.

I would only rank Carapaz ahead of Martinez in GT GC hierarchy. I suppose you could make an argument for Thomas and (only because he has won a GT) Tao Geoghegan Hart, but I wouldn’t agree. If Carapaz goes to the Giro, I think Thomas would be the designated leader for the tour, and Martinez and TGH given free roles.

My hope from a CQ perspective would be that Martinez goes to Giro to support Carapaz and finishes high in GC like last year, and then gets to lead or co-lead the Vuelta.
Where would you rank A. Yates in the GT GC hierarchy? In 1 week stage races there is an argument to be made that he is the 3rd best GC rider after the Slovenians. In GT it's a lot harder to rank him, but I think I would put him just before Martinez in the pecking order.

With a cobble stage and 60 km of ITT in the Tour, I feel like Thomas almost has to be the leader of for Ineos. Chances are that he will fail, but outside of an outstanding Thomas, I don't see any other rider on Ineos that could potentially come close to the Pogacar and/or Roglic on that parcour. So he will for sure be ahead of Martinez in the GT GC hierarchy.

Where would you rank A. Yates in the GT GC hierarchy? In 1 week stage races there is an argument to be made that he is the 3rd best GC rider after the Slovenians. In GT it's a lot harder to rank him, but I think I would put him just before Martinez in the pecking order.

With a cobble stage and 60 km of ITT in the Tour, I feel like Thomas almost has to be the leader of for Ineos. Chances are that he will fail, but outside of an outstanding Thomas, I don't see any other rider on Ineos that could potentially come close to the Pogacar and/or Roglic on that parcour. So he will for sure be ahead of Martinez in the GT GC hierarchy.

I think your analysis is spot on. It is reasonable to position Yates ahead of Martinez in the GT pecking order. I wouldn’t agree, but it is certainly a valid position. Agree completely on Thomas and the tour, thus my hope that Martinez gets Giro/Vuelta program.

No, just like last year, it's basically an exhibition and not a UCI event - it's like the criterium that always unofficially starts the TDU. I'm not sure why they didn't register it as a UCI race, but probably it's easier to organize this way.
With limitations on travel and the like I wasn't expecting it the have WT points, but did expect it to be considered a low level stage race

Just looked it up. A win in one of the five race days at Mallorca gives the same amount of points as a tour de France stage win... (80 points) ;)
I first became aware of the broken point system for Mallorca in 2012. Andrew Fenn came in, started two races, won both and picked up 160 points. That remains the only season of his career where he exceeded 160 points. But counting Mallorca races as .1 stages doesn't feel right either so I don't know what could be done. Also, it's a drop in the bucket at the end of the year so I'm not sure it merits using too much brain power to try and fix this problem. The thing is that since it's the first drop in the bucket it's pretty visible but still not that meaningful in the grand scheme of things.

I first became aware of the broken point system for Mallorca in 2012. Andrew Fenn came in, started two races, won both and picked up 160 points. That remains the only season of his career where he exceeded 160 points. But counting Mallorca races as .1 stages doesn't feel right either so I don't know what could be done. Also, it's a drop in the bucket at the end of the year so I'm not sure it merits using too much brain power to try and fix this problem. The thing is that since it's the first drop in the bucket it's pretty visible but still not that meaningful in the grand scheme of things.
Agree totally. It's not like it's the only series of one-day races either.

And there are so many other 'easy' points on the calendar. Put a semi-decent rider in the Trofeo Laigueglia, and that's 130 free points (except last year, where it had an amazing field). Or the Tour of Hungary. Or some Chinese race, whenever they return. Or Langkawi.

He probably won't be the leader in many races, though. But yes, very good start for him for sure.

I guess he wont be a straight-forward leader, but going into races as a super-dom or even as a co-leader in some stage-races could see him scoring many points.

Last year he was 3rd in P-N before a DNF and he led Basque but lost it on the last stage. He probably learned a lot from the latter experience.

He could be on pace for 800-1000 points in this form if he continues to have good results, I think.

I guess he wont be a straight-forward leader, but going into races as a super-dom or even as a co-leader in some stage-races could see him scoring many points.

Last year he was 3rd in P-N before a DNF and he led Basque but lost it on the last stage. He probably learned a lot from the latter experience.

He could be on pace for 800-1000 points in this form if he continues to have good results, I think.
He will be able to ride on his own also at Algarve and the Tour de Romandie. At Paris-Nice he has to share leadership with Almeida. In the other races he mostly will have to ride for Pogacar...

To be honest I've picked McNulty just because I still remember his performance at 2016 junior WC in Doha and my dropped jaw. Since then I became some sort of his fan and have him constantly in my team. And now it finally pays off to believe his talent is just overshadowed by the likes of Pogacar or Evenpoel recently, and believe that one day he starts to go berserk among the best...

Reactions: firefly3323

TRENDING THREADS