• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2022 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Update 19- ray10 Creeps Ever Closer to Evan Is The Best

Hi, welcome again to the update of the week. Just one note before I get into it, the Green Jersey points are kinda messed up, and Skidmark is aware, so he will fix it in between the handoff between me and the next writer. So, in the Green Jersey, I will just say the top 5.

This week in race, we trudge on in the Giro D'Italia with the big names positioning themselves for the final week while a bundle of one day races giving out serious points for those who picked their riders.

Weekly Standings
1Fivezzz410
2ray10397
3squire299
4Nakazar292
5MADRAZO291

Fivezzz takes a weekly win to his name, and he had many contributors to his win. Alberto Dainese(80 points) and Stefano Oldani(70 points) took a memorable win on home soil while Florian Vermeersch(80 points), Arnaud De Lie(70 points) and Thibau Nys(40) took points in the various semi-classics this week. ray10 had De Lie and Dainese, but also took the maglia rosa bonus points from Juanpe Lopez(73 points) and Gerben Thijssen(72 points) taking points from the semi-classics as well. squire had a little bit of a different team, with Giulio Ciccone getting a stage win and earning 70 points contributing to his effort. Nakazar had Girmay(70), Ciccone, and Oldani contributing to the team effort, with MADRAZO having the same main points scorers, but with Jai Hindley(40 points) as well.
Green Jersey
I don't have much to comment, as the Green Jersey is bugged right now, but ray10 keeps extending his lead over Evan Is The Best in this competition while Nakazar slowly creeps closer to Evan Is The Best,

Overall Standings
1EvansIsTheBest739817664
2ray10718827585
3squire708137380
4Nakazar684247134
5MADRAZO676757058
6search672366956
7laarsland656496828
8Fivezzz6410146820
9Lortnoc665176805
10NielsB662586804
Some big changes here, with ray10 with his aforementioned big week gets within 100 points of our leader, Evan Is The Best. Otherwise the top 6 is consistent most weeks, but not 7-10. This week, laarsland uses Ciccone, Hindley, and Santiago Buitrago(50 points) to gain two spots in the top 10. Fivezzz jumps 6 spots because of his big week, while Lortnoc only had Hindley and Girmay to cushion his fall, while NielsB only had Girmay.

This week, we have the mountain challenge of the Giro, the Tour of Norway, and some more one day races across the cycling world. Until then, have a great day!

Place consolidated.

Quick evaluation so far:

Good choices: Cosnefroy, Pedersen, Benoot, Higuita, Ciccone, Martinez, Pinot, Hindley, Vuillermoz, Askey, Kämna, Jungels, Gregoire.
Rare picks of those: Cosnefroy, Pedersen, Benoot, Vuillermoz, Grégoire.
Means my best personal picks are: Pedersen and Vuillermoz.
Bad picks: Ganna, Pidcock, Bagioli, Dumoulin, Carr, van tricht, Osorio, Umba Lopez, Hvideberg.
Rare: everyone but Pidcock, Bagioli and Dumoulin.
Means my worst personal pick is Ganna (in theory he can still get quite a few points, though, in the Tour and the WC).

Overall my bad picks are not so bad, the costly ones are Ganna and Pidcock, the others haven't been so expensive. Worse are the ones I did not pick. I could still bite my butt that de Lie vanished from my list inexplicably and that I decided against Girmay. Evenepoel I left out deliberately, I knew it would most likely be costly, but didn't want him on my team. The biggest gamble were the big name sprinters. I did not know which one to take, so I took none of them (if you don't count Pedersen as a sprinter). So far, it has partly paid of, and partly not.

I think this year there were a few good picks that were quite easy to spot and many players have them, like Kämna, Martinez, Hindley, and then some others that everyone has on their team, like Pidcock and Dumoulin, that haven't paid off for anybody, so the season doesn't seem to be great for a lot of people.

Mine is quite average for now. I still have some hope for the future for some of my riders and can only hope the other teams around me are not too successful... :grimacing:

Two years in a row that one of the most popular riders in the game wins the Giro, so every chance that we get the biggest weekly score of the season this update - Landa will be a prerequisite to win the week but the scoring at the Tour of Norway in particular will be high as well.

Two years in a row that one of the most popular riders in the game wins the Giro, so every chance that we get the biggest weekly score of the season this update - Landa will be a prerequisite to win the week but the scoring at the Tour of Norway in particular will be high as well.
Not gonna lie, I don't have Landa on my team so it makes me nervous that someone is going to leapfrog me in the standings ( squire's team is pretty scary). If Hindley and Evenepoel hold their GC position tomorrow combined with the random points from guys like Groves, Zingle and Buitrago plus my existing buffer, I am hopeful that it'll be enough.

While we wait for the Giro GC update, I thought it would be interesting to compile the top score post-Giro in previous editions to see how 2022 stacks up.

YearPlayerScore
2011​
LukeSchmid
6135​
2012​
TeoSheva
9338​
2013​
Dim, Geraint Too Fast
6284​
2014​
Geraint Too Fast
7788​
2015​
Londonpat
8590​
2016​
Nicosix
7374​
2017​
the asian
6908​
2018​
ruvu75
7566​
2019​
skidmark
7445​
2020​
bminchow
9410*​
2021​
TotalPackage
9082​

*October edition of the giro so higher score expected with a greater portion of the racing calendar already over.

There have been 4 teams all time (Wallenquist in 2020 being the fourth) that have cracked 9k and only two in "normal" years. Considering how far away everybody is from that mark, I don't think we'll add to the club this year even with Hindley's help.

Reactions: search
and I'm cheering for Tizza tomorrow! Hasn't had a good season so far, but 5th (or even better) in Boucles de la Mayenne would be a great result
Congrats with Tizza, he held on!
I was cheering for Finn Fisher-Black, who looked as he was finally going to get some nice points in the race, being 6th in the overall. Instead he crashed in the last stage of the race and broke his femur. What a bummer.

Congrats with Tizza, he held on!
I was cheering for Finn Fisher-Black, who looked as he was finally going to get some nice points in the race, being 6th in the overall. Instead he crashed in the last stage of the race and broke his femur. What a bummer.
yeah, that's always a shame. Same for those with Brenner, who caught Corona in Norway this week when he was on track to get his first good pro result ever

Update 20- Giro GC

Well well well, many points were to be scored this week, with Jai Hindley, a popular pick of this years game taking the overall title, and Mikel Landa, another fairly well picked rider taking third, means we have a huge update ahead of us.
Week Update
bminchow takes the win of the week, with a staggering 2,032 points. Those can be found with the help of Jai Hindley(566), Mikel Landa(326), Emmanuel Buchmann(190), Hugh Carthy(169) and a few other high scorers to take the top spot. Object, our second place, had the combo of Hindley and Landa, along with the other big scorer of the week, Remco Evenepoel(257), taking GC and a few stage wins in Norway. MADRAZO had Hindley, Landa, and Buchmann, Armchair Cyclist had Hindley, Landa, Evenepoel, and Buchmann, but not much supporting cast relatively speaking, which is also the same story for our fifth placed team, Bonimenier.
Green Jersey
As last week, the same top five as the weekly rankings, and no changes for our top five, or heavy point changes based on my calculations, with the two leaders not getting any points. In the transition from me and the next updater, Skidmark will take a look, so hopefully the standings are accurate.
Overall
1EvansIsTheBest766419049
2squire738039004
3MADRAZO705858818
4ray10758528553
6search695668548
6laarsland682878383
7Nakazar713448339
8Object6409238280
9Devils_Elbow6589158271
10Armchair cyclist6453208198
A big shake up in the standings this week, with a monumental occurrence in this game taking place. EvanIsTheBest holds on to his top spot to his own doubt, and a new challenger emerges to take ray10's place in squire. Both the top two crack the 9,000 points threshold, which is the first time in the game's history(in a year not affected by a pandemic anyway). Thanks for EvanIsTheBest for the chart above for that info! EvanIsTheBest had one rare pick to keep him in the top spot, which was Santiago Buitrago(185), keeping him there for at least another week. squire meanwhile uses Hindley, Landa, and Buchmann to gain serious ground on EvanIsTheBest, while MADRAZO uses the same combo as squire to sneak onto the podium. Unfortunately for ray10, Juanpe Lopez couldn't stay in pink forever, but he still gains solid points from him, Evenepoel, and Benoit Cosnefroy to try to keep fighting in the top five, with search only five points behind. In the bottom half, Nakazar unfortunately fell, while three huge movers are located in the 8-10th spot. Object and Armchair Cyclist were both mentioned above, while Devils_Elbow had Hindley, Buchmann, and Landa, but with the added bonus of rareish pick Tobias Halland Johannesen.

This concludes my run of write ups, which I thank Skidmark for this opportunity! I hand the keys off to our leader, EvanIsTheBest, which he gets to overlook the very exciting MercanTour Alpes Maritimes, Giro Dell'Appennino, and other races! For that so long, and keep regretting your bad selections(I blame that on being a rookie)!

Link:

I think that's only the fourth time anyone's cracked 2000 points for the week. Incredible that the leading score is almost on par with last year without lots of riders at deflated costs to boost the scoring this time.

On another note, really happy to crack the top 10 overall! I had a lot riding on the Giro and despite the disaster that was Lopez, it's paid off with seventh on the week.

Reactions: Jumbo Visma Fan :)

TRENDING THREADS