• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2022 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
2000 points!! +25 positions?! Now we are talking. It was a fun week of watching cycling while somehow not getting fired from my job. I'm highly disappointed that Miguel Angel got me nothing, and Foss was a bust. But I'll take it. Unfortunately I built my team around the Giro, so I'll likely start sliding back into oblivion.

Reactions: DJ Sprtsch
Woof!

Reminds me of my ludicrously Giro-heavy team last year. Had 7 of the top 15 going into the white roads stage, at which point the disasters started, but stlll ended up with 3 of the top 7. I think you can be pretty much guaranteed an emotional rollercoaster over the next 3 weeks :)

Unfortunately for you, my largely lifeless team also shares some of your riders for this race.

Ewan
Ciccone
Lopez
Dumoulin
Buchmann
Calmejane
Modolo
Rosa

My giro team continued the season's theme so far of adding very little enjoyment to watching cycling. And every selection mistake I made is being heavily punished. Basically flipped a coin between Landa and Lopez, and thought the latter might have a higher ceiling. And Hindley was an obvious pick, but having had him before, thought he was a little boring :rolleyes: I think only Evenepoel is keeping me from last place at the moment.

Also, I notice that the six of us who selected the Ineos rider 'Ben Turner, haven't got any of his points this season. I think this probably because his name has been changed on the CQRanking site to 'Benjamin Turner' since we made the selection?

Doesn't matter in terms of the rankings for me, but he's one of the handful of riders I've enjoyed following from my team this season :)

If you find other mistakes/errors in the spreadsheet, please let me know. I'll have more time to fix them before the next update that way.

I think that's only the fourth time anyone's cracked 2000 points for the week. Incredible that the leading score is almost on par with last year without lots of riders at deflated costs to boost the scoring this time.

On another note, really happy to crack the top 10 overall! I had a lot riding on the Giro and despite the disaster that was Lopez, it's paid off with seventh on the week.
I admit at first I was like two weeks in pink and a top 10 isn't what I'd call a disaster for Juanpe Lopez and then I went like oh you meant the other Lopez.

So we ended up adding two more teams to the 9000-points-after-the-Giro club this year, including yours!
I'm pretty surprised I got there. Thans to Bike Exchange for sending Groves to beat up on sub par competition in Estonia I guess. What's wild to me is that I'm now well ahead of my 2012 pace (and for newer players that don't know why that's wild I suggest taking a look at Tom Boonen's 2012 CQ page).

Reactions: postmanhat
Also, I notice that the six of us who selected the Ineos rider 'Ben Turner, haven't got any of his points this season. I think this probably because his name has been changed on the CQRanking site to 'Benjamin Turner' since we made the selection?

Doesn't matter in terms of the rankings for me, but he's one of the handful of riders I've enjoyed following from my team this season :)
I pointed this out earlier this season and have actually received his points as his name has been changed on the sheet containing my team, not sure why that hasn't happened for you (and possibly the four other people who picked him) as well.

Edit: everyone else with Turner has received their points too, not sure why you've slipped between the cracks then.

Last edited:
Reactions: postmanhat
You just keep on enjoy your weekly 2000 points. I am not at all envious, instead I will boast a little about getting a 1-2 in France today. Super nice feat. but would of course have been better for my chances in the game if it wasn't in the Cat. 2.2 stage race Ronde de l'Oise.

Last edited:
Over three-quarters of my weekly haul came from the peloton losing control of the break in Brussels today and Bayer subsequently managing third, that's not a great sign going forward. Doesn't help when none of your sprinters make it over the molehill in Heistse Pijl while De Lie wins yet again.

Update 21: Sweet sound of victory for our resident DJ

Weekly Scores

The first week post-Giro is usually a quiet one in the CQ game and this year was no exception. As the build up to the Tour de France isn't quite underway yet, there was as many (one) teams cracking 200 points this week as there were 2000 points teams last week. DJ Sprtsch has the honor of being that team powered by their rare picks: Jakob Fuglsang, Natnael Tesfatsion, Jason Tesson, Kaden Groves and Iuri Leitao. Familiar names complete the podium as ray10 (Meintjes and De Lie) as well as MADRAZO (Fuglsang, De Lie, Groves) had good weeks to push them towards the top of the GC. Leadbelly (Fuglsang, De Lie, Zingle) and yoyokt (Fuglsang and Bayer) also enjoyed good weeks.

1DJ Sprtsch220
2ray10199
3MADRAZO181
4Leadbelly177
5yoyokt162

Highest Movers
As you'd expect considering the number of points scored, there wasn't much movement up and down the rankings, with Hugo Koblet (De Lie, Hayter brothers, Groves and Covi) gaining 6 places. The aforementioned Leadbelly and DJ Sprtsch gain 5 places and nobody else moved up more than 3.

1Hugo_Koblet+6
2Leadbelly+5
3DJ Sprtsch+5

Green Jersey
Back to our regular programming, which means ray10 keeps widening their lead with a cushion worth more than two full weekly wins. MADRAZO jumps in front of Nakazar for third place.

1ray10297
2EvansIsTheBest200
3MADRAZO168
4Nakazar159
5squire137

GC
Nobody moves in or out of the top 10 but Devil's Elbow gains 2 spots to settle in 7th. It's getting very crowded at the top with ray10 and MADRAZO closing the gap to the top 2. Sean Quinn's clutch third place in the first stage of the Dauphiné keeps EITB in the lead by a mere 14 points but with the action picking up this week, the GC seems poised for a new leader.

1EvansIsTheBest9124
2squire9110
3MADRAZO8999
4ray108752
5search8577
6laarsland8501
7Devil's Elbow8360
8Nakazar8353
9Object8290
10Armchair cyclist8237

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/bbye...-21.xlsx?dl=0&rlkey=a4f6i7qrjkfmn8o45rsdp1cp3

In terms of spreadsheet bugs & fixes:
  • Fixed the green jersey rankings.
  • Fixed the Ben Turner name change in postmanhat's team.
  • Fixed the mismatches between the spreadsheet name and the name of the team displayed in the A1 cell where it was necessary.
  • Fixed the link to their team spreadsheet from the rankings, green jersey and update tabs for squire and Nyssinator.
Let me know if you catch any other mistakes.

The curse of being in my team this year strikes again. One rider in Dauphine and of course it was Ayuso.

Only playing for pride now, but a fairly big team for the Tour De Suisse.

GC - Evenepoel, Pinot, Hirschi

Stages - Kron, Kragh Andersen

No expectations - Bettiol, Van Wilder, Jungels, Moscon

No idea - Pidcock

As long as Kooij keeps his position in the GC I'll be happy. It won't help against the other teams near the top who almost uninamously picked him but at least it'll keep my score ticking and it means that my entire week won't just be a random Stan Van Tricht sighting.

yeah, nothing elsewhere for me either this week, as Mas keeps on crashing in every stage race. I also have Kuba in ZLM Tour at least, who hopefully manages to stay up there. Don't think there are too many more GC opportunies for him to come this year

ZLM Tour couldn't have gone much better with Kooij cleaning up and Turner making the most of an easy race with fifth on GC. Same for Elfstedenronde with Jakobsen and Ewan taking first and second.

Dauphiné was okay, 10th and 16th on GC from THJ and Bagioli.

Next week will be a disaster though, Martinez dropping out of GC contention immediately means I will be scoring very little in Switzerland and don't have much else going on aside from some less lucrative sprints in Belgium. So if I climb above seventh this week, it will be a peak to savour.

Update 22: Nyssinator stars while new leader is crowned

Weekly Scores

Nyssinator tops the charts this week with no less than six riders clearing the 50 points mark : Jakobsen, Kooij, Hirschi, McNulty, Kron and Van Dijke (with Ewan and Bagioli being this close to joining the group). In second place, laarsland relies on the CQ game star of the week (Kooij) and arguably of the year (De Lie) as well as a few riders that haven't shined as brightly in recent months: Vliegen, Van Tricht and Geoghegan Hart. Jpettersen sees their rare pick Mareckzo score more than in a week than in the entire 2021 season to help propel them on the podium (Kooij, Jakobsen, Johannessen and Geoghegan Hart did their part too). Lortnoc (Hirschi, Kooij, Geoghegan Hart, Vuillermoz) and Fivezzz (Kooij, De Lie, Kron and Jakobsen) round out the top 5.

1Nyssinator786
2laarsland724
3Jpettersen719
4Lortnoc693
5Fivezzz689

Highest Movers
Yellow Knight manages a double digit jump in the rankings with rare pick Ganna doing his usual damage against the clock. Rufs gains 9 places with notable performances from Kron and Van Dijke. Tied in third there are familiar names (Nyssinator and Jpettersen) as well as Hakkie2 who is probably hoping that Tesfatsion can continue his rich vein of form.

1Yellow Knight+10
2Rufs+9
3Nyssinator+8
3Jpettersen+8
3Hakkie2+8

Green Jersey
MADRAZO (Kooij, De Lie, Jakobsen, Geoghegan Hart) continues their hot streak with a fourth straight week of 20+ points but ray10 remains comfortably ahead of the pack. Lortnoc jumps into the top 5 on the back of their 4th place this week.

1ray10297
2EvansIsTheBest200
3MADRAZO188 (+20)
4Nakazar159
4Lortnoc159 (+26)

GC
After chipping away for weeks at EITB's lead, squire (Kooij, De Lie, Jakobsen, Vuillermoz) finally takes over the top spot while MADRAZO's recent performances mean that our former leader slides down to third. Our new leader's success has been driven by their lower priced riders all year. In fact their 25 lowest priced riders have combined for 7798 points (for a 3973 price) which would be enough on their own to land in the top 40. Watch out if their heavy hitters starts joining the party. Search despite finishing a strong 14th on the week loses their top 5 spot to laarsland. Lortnoc and Riverside convert their strong showing in this update into an entry in the top 10 while Object and Armchair Cyclist drop out. No worries though with the Tour de Suisse, Belgium Tour, Tour of Slovenia and Route de l'Occitanie there's plenty of opportunities to make up lost ground this week.

1squire9778
2MADRAZO9680
3EvansIsTheBest9623
4ray109259
5laarsland9225
6search9203
7Devil's Elbow9018
8Nakazar8880
9Lortnoc8823
10Riverside8744

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlr9twq3tlrz894/CQ 2022 update 22.xlsx?dl=0

Wohoo!

Thanks for the update! An especially interesting one. ;) But I guess you can see, from the little breakdown of my team you did there, why I actually feel like I haven't had a very good season so far. Moscon and Pidcock again bad in Tour de Suisse. Superman Lopez can hopefully get going soon.

Wohoo!

Thanks for the update! An especially interesting one. ;) But I guess you can see, from the little breakdown of my team you did there, why I actually feel like I haven't had a very good season so far. Moscon and Pidcock again bad in Tour de Suisse. Superman Lopez can hopefully get going soon.
I mean, there has been pretty much no value when it comes to more expensive riders. A complete list of 450+-point riders who are currently into profit:
Vlasov (826 to 1156) - picked 1x
Bilbao (706 to 905) - picked 2x
Kristoff (579 to 807) - picked 5x
Teuns (521 to 620) - not picked
Hofstetter (508 to 610) - not picked
Barguil (577 to 597) - not picked
Landa (533 to 572) - picked 20x
Which makes it crazy that the scoring has been as high as it has been so far - all of the top three is outpacing the leading score after Dauphiné last year, and by that time there really weren’t particularly many races postponed due to Covid still to come.

I mean, there has been pretty much no value when it comes to more expensive riders. A complete list of 450+-point riders who are currently into profit:
Which makes it crazy that the scoring has been as high as it has been so far - all of the top three is outpacing the leading score after Dauphiné last year, and by that time there really weren’t particularly many races postponed due to Covid still to come.
Yeah, the comparison to last year is indeed crazy. It might be down to a lot of the mid-priced picks (in the 200-area) having some decent points, and the big points from popular guys like Hindley and Kämna. I'm of course helped massively by De Lie too.

Your list makes Evenepoel seem like an even better pick now. Imagine if I had him instead of Pidcock and Moscon, which was very close to happening.

I wonder how unusual that is. When you start with that many points it's tough to score more over half a season (guys that can drop 450 easy in a few months of racing tend to cost a lot more than that so they have to score more too) whereas lower priced riders only need a couple good results to break even. Still it's funny to see how we collectively whiffed on the best high priced riders. It looks better if we include Evenepoel but I'm not sure that thinking Remco is a good rider is much of a flex of our cycling knowledge.

Yeah, the comparison to last year is indeed crazy. It might be down to a lot of the mid-priced picks (in the 200-area) having some decent points, and the big points from popular guys like Hindley and Kämna. I'm of course helped massively by De Lie too.

Your list makes Evenepoel seem like an even better pick now. Imagine if I had him instead of Pidcock and Moscon, which was very close to happening.
If we combine your lower priced riders with my more expensive ones we could make a hell of a team. Not sure skidmark would let us do that unfortunately.

TRENDING THREADS