• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2023 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 20, 2021
Visit site
Yes, he crashed two times. So did his teammate, Sean Quinn.

It's probably because they were inspired by their teammate Bissegger who did the same on the opening stage of the Tour last year.

That's because I had Bisseger on my VDS team last year
And I've got Honoré here this year.

So crashing once or twice is just to be expected.

• Haha
Reactions: BR2
Update #2: Top Teams are Feeling Vine

Because of the unusual timing sequence of the Aussie nationals (normally TT is before RR and they are both in the same calendar week), and because CQ decided to stick with their sometimes-broken orthodoxy of getting updates out every Sunday/Monday, the CQ game has been treated to 2 updates for the price of 1!

This week's main event was the Aussie TT won by Jay Vine, gaining a whopping 50 points. The 2.2 New Zealand Cycling Classic was completed, and across an ocean the northern hemisphere calendar got started as the 2.2 Vuelta al Tachira got underway, but neither of these impacted the game too much (I noticed that Squire's unique pick Lucas Carstensen picked up a handy 4 points in NZ; anyone else got some from these races?)

This Week's Top Scorers

A pretty simple formula got these teams here: Vine (50 points) + Plapp for 3 teams (20 points); and for DJW, a unique combo of Vine, Kell O'Brien (25 points) and Chris Harper (17). That's enough for the weekly win! They all count :)

This Week's High Movers

1karaev(+26)
2Googolplex(+24)
3manafana(+22)
3Nyssinator(+22)
3yoyokt(+22)

There's usually a fair amount of movement with a few points at the start of the season, as lots of the teams had no points last week and were tied for wherever that was in the table, but just a few points can rocket up the standings. Karaev takes the cake for this one, moving 26 spots on 50 points from Vine.

Green Jersey Competition

All these teams save DJW scored in Green Jersey last week, and the three teams tied for 2nd get an awkward decimal in their scores as they split the points for those three spots at (35 + 30 + 26) / 3 = 30.3. That can be enough to give an edge down the road in a tight season; like I said above, every week counts!

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)bminchow196
2(-)Jakob747176
3(+4)zaka_fan170
4(+3)greenedge145
5(-2)rote_laterne142
6(-3)Squire129
7(-4)Blues in the bottle125
7(-4)ray10125
9(-2)18-Valve. (pithy)120
9(-2)armchairclimber120
9(-2)Devils_Elbow120
9(-2)Rufs120
9(-2)Salvarani120

Very similar rankings to last week, as the top 3 teams had Vine + Plapp, and Plapp with 20 points was still one of the highest scoring riders picked this week after his 100 last week gave teams a great head start.

This week, we've got the TdU rolling out as an appetizer for high-level international fields, while by the end of the weekend we'll have stage 1 of San Juan and the newly-upgraded 1.1 Valenciana race to kick off the European calendar. It's happening!

spreadsheet at dropbox

Thanks for the update, skidmark!

As you noted, Carstensen got a nice win in the NZ Cycle Classic (only worth 4 points, but a good start) to put me ahead of my fellow Plapp/Ewan teams in the top 10. First unique pick to get a win this year I think. :sunglasses:

My TDU team:
MOSCON Gianni
PENHOËT Paul
PLAPP Luke
HONORÉ Mikkel Frølich
SCHACHMANN Maximilian
EWAN Caleb

Decent team as everyone can potentially score points from this race, so maybe I can continue my streak of green jersey points next week as well.

Shame about Honoré's crash and time loss, but if there's one thing this game has taught me, it is that everyone will have some bad luck at some point. Ewan looking good so far, but struggles a bit with lack of support. Let's hope for at least one stage win. Don't know if Plapp going for mountain points is a good or a bad sign! But the jersey is worth a stage win, so at least there are some points there if he's not in the running for the overall.

Shame about Honoré's crash and time loss, but if there's one thing this game has taught me, it is that everyone will have some bad luck at some point.

Yup, and crashes also happens in training.

Juan Pedro López (Trek-Segafredo) is out with a fractured collarbone after crashing during training on Tuesday, and today Aimé De Gendt (Intermarché-Circus-Wanty) has also gone down with the same injury after a training crash. The latter I have on my team, who was picked by three others as well. Hopefully he makes it back in time for the classics, where I had hope he might be able to score points in some races.

Sadly I don't have Vine (who looks the likely winner) or Sheffield, but do have 6 riders in the top 30 who can all climb, so am hopeful of some positive moves from them over Corkscrew tomorrow.. I'd love to see maybe Vader or Germani getting into a break and trying something ... Vader especially (even if I'm not keen on the JV team for some reason).

Last edited:
I am the other one with Bettiol, and from being very excited, I am now mostly concerned. The last time I remember he cramped was in the Olympics, and after that he didn't race for five months. Hope it's not that serious now...

I think he's just very prone to cramping. It also happened in Strade Bianche one year. A bit annoying really but not too worrying, I think (and hope).

I think he's just very prone to cramping. It also happened in Strade Bianche one year. A bit annoying really but not too worrying, I think (and hope).
Well, his autoimmune issues affect his digestive track so it's not difficult to imagine his nutrient absorbtion capabilities may be affected at times, which could cause cramping, but that's my speculation.

Not different after today either.

Reactions: tobydawq

TRENDING THREADS