• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2023 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have no idea what's that supposed to mean. :(

There are two ways to copy paste stuff.

If you are using a macbook.

1. Paste the text with its current formatting into a new paragraph: Choose Edit > Paste, or press Command-V on the keyboard.

2. Paste and match the style of the text where you're pasting: Choose Edit > Paste and Match Style.

You should be using 2, if you dont want the table to show up.

It should be similar if you are using another device. It should be worded quite similar, if you right click.

Reactions: Anderis
Ok. It's named a bit different on my device but I can make it look like that:
EXAMPLE Rider
SECOND EXAMPLE Rider Cyclist

Thanks for the explanation.

Would that be everything that needs to be included in my entry?

Yes, I think so.

Your list with the riders names in the right format as they are on CQ Ranking, sent in a message to @skidmark .

If you are unsure, just read the opening post of the thread again to make sure. Everything is there.

One more thing that I don't think is explained in the OP: what about riders with 0 CQ points? They're not included in the spreadsheet. Are they eligible and if so, is there a way to ensure their names are in the right format?
Zero points riders are also eligible. If they have scored points in years prior to 2022, you'll be able to find them and their correct spelling here. If they have never scored a point before and they aren't registered to a UCI team at the start of the season then it gets tricky because they aren't in the CQ database so we'll have to wait and see what the correct spelling will be. Submit them as LAST NAME First name and it should be fine (be careful to include the second surnames for Spanish riders).

I have picked three riders over 900 points. Don't think it will be the most profitable choice, but I'll have a good time cheering for these three.
The cool thing about picking Pogacar, Evenepoel and Skjelmose is that you still have 4 whole points left over to fill out your roster.

Just to note - CQ put out their December 31st update which is the official source for scoring in this game. If you used their last prior update (October 23rd, which was what I had in the "Create Your Team" spreadsheet until today), you will want to update as at least one rider who has been picked has had their score changed upwards (I noticed because it put a team over budget that had been under prior to the 31st).
Damn, my team is so good it is scoring before the season even starts :D

After my unsuccessful first-time entry last year, I'm hoping for better this year.

Last year I went for a sprinter heavy team that showed my ignorance of form (Viviani!!) and the scoring system. This year I've gone the other way with a stage race focused team and a few high cost riders. Worried I don't have enough riders for One Day races, but I only need to get into the top 80 to beat last year.

As always thanks to Skidmark and all the other organisers. I enjoyed following all my riders last year and it gave me a reason to pay attention to a lot more races than usual.

Hey all, just an update. There's still about 3 days to go until the submission deadline (and a further 24 hours until the publication deadline), and I've got 40 entries, which is a good start. Last year, with 3 days to go we had 42 teams, so I'm hoping there will be a comparable amount of participants. Keep the entries coming!

And regarding the questions on the formatting, yes it should be okay to just copy paste from the spreadsheet. The formatting on CN changed a couple of years ago to sometimes have those visible gridlines, and I did not think to update the original post to reflect this, I can make a note in the future. I have had problems with some entries in the past with weird formatting things, and those have always happened when it's just pasted (with grid lines), so I recommend matching the source formatting just to be safe. But also, I haven't had any issues yet this year so hopefully it'll be fine either way.

Getting excited for the season to start!

Submitted my team. I didn't have much time to think about it so I scrambled a team together but don't particularly feel good about it. Still I wouldn't want to miss the game since I had fun last year playing for the first time.

I just hope I didn't miss too many obvious picks. At least this year I realised I could fill my team with zero pointers instead of playing with only 29 riders like last year.

No no, I'm not such a hardcore. :) Obviously I meant riders who have WT contracts for 2023. :)
Thanks.

You follow EF closely right? Given their new Ecuadorian focus, I will give you a name to follow in about 3/4 years' time. He is a 0-pointer :D.

Jhoffre Imbaquingo - Won Vuelta Juventud with a solo raid on Alto de Culebrillas - 6.13w/kg at 2800 meters of altitude. He only started cycling about three years ago!

He also won GC at Clasica Tulcan (+ 2 stages) and GC at Clasica Ciudad De Huaca (+ 1 stage).

If he continues progressing the way he has, he could be the next Chalequito.

Last edited:
Do people here mostly do solo research for this, or iare there any people who pool together their resources and give each other tips? I understand the whole idea of this being finding diamonds in the rough and finding value where others don't - but researching for this and similar games is tens of hours of work pretty much all alone.

Contrast it with something like Fantasy PL, or Fantasy Amerisports where people discuss all sorts of options ahead of time.

Either way, I'm only tweaking the last 2-3 spots in my team, I wonder what people are thinking on riders such as Ganna. He didn't have the best road season but went out with a bang on the track, is he poised for a greater 2023 on the road? What's the potential upside if so? Double the points at best? What about Gaviria? Going to Movistar after a difficult three year stretch. At a bit below 400 points though, he'd have to have a pretty decent season. Other sprinters such as Bennett and Ewan also had less than stellar seasons but still racked up some points. The midrange picks are always the hardest.

The few neo-pro/junior picks will be crucial too. No one wants to miss out on the next Arnaud de Lie.

Edit: Not to mention: Viviani.

Last edited:
Reactions: postmanhat
Do people here mostly do solo research for this, or iare there any people who pool together their resources and give each other tips? I understand the whole idea of this being finding diamonds in the rough and finding value where others don't - but researching for this and similar games is tens of hours of work pretty much all alone.

Contrast it with something like Fantasy PL, or Fantasy Amerisports where people discuss all sorts of options ahead of time.

Either way, I'm only tweaking the last 2-3 spots in my team, I wonder what people are thinking on riders such as Ganna. He didn't have the best road season but went out with a bang on the track, is he poised for a greater 2023 on the road? What's the potential upside if so? Double the points at best? What about Gaviria? Going to Movistar after a difficult three year stretch. At a bit below 400 points though, he'd have to have a pretty decent season. Other sprinters such as Bennett and Ewan also had less than stellar seasons but still racked up some points. The midrange picks are always the hardest.

The few neo-pro/junior picks will be crucial too. No one wants to miss out on the next Arnaud de Lie.

I get the feeling most people here have an approach a lot more structured and thorough than mine. I take about three hours to do my team, spent in two or three days. The first time I played it worked out well, last year it didn't. This year my team is especially wild with a lot of risky cheap riders. I just want to have fun. However I do have a few strategies/general considerations. They don't rely a lot on who goes to which races etc. though. I just take a look at the PCS ranking: who fell off a cliff last year? Then I look at why they did so, was there a big accident or sickness that is now resolved/ better? I don't really do actual research though, sometimes I know what happened, sometimes I just look at whether someone missed out in a huge part of the season... Then I take a look at the podiums of some of the biggest races for upcoming riders. And then at the transfers from teams where riders usually underperform to those where they usually climb up. Add a random rider that caught my eye during the season, a promising younger rider who will enter his decisive years, such stuff. It is all very basic and quite random. I learned to include 0 pointers which I didn't in my first year. I could still bite my ass though that last year I somehow lost De Lie somewhere on my word document, the first rider I had in mind then...

We are not really supposed to discuss riders here before the big reveal, so I'll just say that I had Ganna last year exactly because I thought he'd go for more own results on the road and maybe win PR... but it didn't work out very well.

You follow EF closely right? Given their new Ecuadorian focus, I will give you a name to follow in about 3/4 years' time. He is a 0-pointer :D.

Jhoffre Imbaquingo - Won Vuelta Juventud with a solo raid on Alto de Culebrillas - 6.13w/kg at 2800 meters of altitude. He only started cycling about three years ago!

He also won GC at Clasica Tulcan (+ 2 stages) and GC at Clasica Ciudad De Huaca (+ 1 stage).

If he continues progressing the way he has, he could be the next Chalequito.
Well if we are giving away picks for the future, Julien Simon should be the first name on everybody's 2027 team :p

YearAgePriceScoreProfit
201227375728194%
201732231593257%
202237268685256%
202742TBDTBDTBD

TRENDING THREADS