• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2023 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ps I got a message pointing out to me that Antonio Morgado's points last week hadn't been counted due to a CQ name change; I was going to adjust his name for his 15 team owners this week (week 12), but realized it would have skewed this week's results when the oversight was in week 11. So I'll fix it this week and post any revisions that might have been necessary for week 11 from his 28 points. Thanks!

Reactions: tobydawq
Pretty nice to return home and find out my team got 1st, 2nd and 6th in GP Indurain. I haven't seen the full results yet, but I believe I also had Gotzon Martin in the top 30, so that's a minimum of 259 points for me.

Seems to be 276 points. Not a bad day at all.

Last edited:
Pretty nice to return home and find out my team got 1st, 2nd and 6th in GP Indurain. I haven't seen the full results yet, but I believe I also had Gotzon Martin in the top 30, so that's a minimum of 259 points for me.

Seems to be 276 points. Not a bad day at all.

Well, if there was one race where you should have the advantage, it would probably be that race.

You really should have cleaned the top 10.

• Sad
Reactions: Samu Cuenca
well, last week went about as bad as expected. Not even 200 pts. Stuyven unlucky again (as repre already said above) and Politt with another random attack.
That said It was an amazing edition of RVV, one of the best I've seen in the last 20 years.

Itzulia Basque Country: Gaudu and Gregoire for the GC, maybe Bernal also if he is recovered. Schelling to pick up some sprint points again
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
SCHELLING Ide
GAUDU David
GREGOIRE Romain
MOSCON Gianni
CATTANEO Mattia

Région Pays de la Loire Tour: Valgren is a very nice surprise for me and 7 other believers, did not expect him to return so soon.
HEALY Ben
VALGREN HUNDAHL (ANDERSEN) Michael

Scheldeprijs: I haven't lost faith in Ewan, fingers crossed
DE POOTER Dries
EWAN Caleb

Paris-Roubaix: Top 10 for Stuyven and Politt??
POLITT Nils
KWIATKOWSKI Michal
ASGREEN Kasper
SIMMONS Quinn
STUYVEN Jasper

Itzulia Basque Country: Schelling to pick up some sprint points again. Yates to get a top 5 and Plapp to support Martinez. The rest is crap.
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
SCHELLING Ide
MOSCON Gianni
DINHAM Matthew
PLAPP Lucas
VANDENABEELE Henri
YATES Simon

Région Pays de la Loire Tour: Forget Valgren. It's Steinhausers turn
STEINHAUSER Georg

Scheldeprijs: My third tier sprinters are no match here. Nice to have some quantity though.
BOL Cees
DEKKER David
MIHKELS Madis
PEDERSEN Casper Phillip
VAN UDEN Casper

Paris-Roubaix: Top 10 for Simmons or Wright??
ASGREEN Kasper
SIMMONS Quinn
WRIGHT Fred
DEKKER David

I think my team scored 432 points in total in last year's Itzulia, where Bilbao and Ion Izagirre both won a stage, so it's great that I have 18 riders to defend my honour on home soil.

Jonathan Castroviejo
Omar Fraile
Sergio Higuita
Ion Izagirre
Jonathan Lastra
Alex Aranburu
Gorka Izagirre
Mikel Landa
Pello Bilbao
Jon Aberasturi
Igor Arrieta
Mikel Bizkarra
Joan Bou
Carlos Canal
Asier Etxebaerria
Unai Iribar
Txomin Juaristi
Gotzon Martin

I think my team scored 432 points in total in last year's Itzulia, where Bilbao and Ion Izagirre both won a stage, so it's great that I have 18 riders to defend my honour on home soil.

Jonathan Castroviejo
Omar Fraile
Sergio Higuita
Ion Izagirre
Jonathan Lastra
Alex Aranburu
Gorka Izagirre
Mikel Landa
Pello Bilbao
Jon Aberasturi
Igor Arrieta
Mikel Bizkarra
Joan Bou
Carlos Canal
Asier Etxebaerria
Unai Iribar
Txomin Juaristi
Gotzon Martin

It would probably be easier to list the Basque riders you don't have.
Or your riders in other races.

It would probably be easier to list the Basque riders you don't have.
Or your riders in other races.

I do have a few more riders, who could have been on the start list, but I won't complain.

I have the following riders starting in Pays de la Loire:

Cyril Barthe
Antonio Soto
Xabier Azparren
Juan Jose Lobato

I don't seem to have any riders scheduled for Scheldeprijs or Circuit des Ardennes.

Jonathan Castroviejo
Omar Fraile
Sergio Higuita
Ion Izagirre
Jonathan Lastra
Alex Aranburu
Gorka Izagirre
Mikel Landa
Pello Bilbao
Jon Aberasturi
Igor Arrieta
Mikel Bizkarra
Joan Bou
Carlos Canal
Asier Etxebaerria
Unai Iribar
Txomin Juaristi
Gotzon Martin
Bilbao already out, so it'll be hard to repeat

• Sad
Reactions: Samu Cuenca
I do have a list of riders I didn't pick (Toby would probably call it a negative CQ team), which I often take a glance at, because I keep forgetting which riders I have. When the season ends, I'll compare their results with my team's, to see if I could have done a better job.

Next year, you could make a truly Basque Team. None of that "Oh, he has a vague Basque connection", or "Oh, I had to include a random French guy."

Update #13: Classics story continues to be rote

The Tour of Flanders was the big highlight this week, with DDV and a few other smaller one-day races contributing to the CQ pie, but the relative quiet (ie lack of stage races) meant that scores were modest by CQ standards. But the name at the top was a familiar one in this year's game.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1rote_laterne535
2Nevs516
3LosBrolin486
4search473
5Anderis463

rote laterne's team has had a good run recently - 10th in week 8, 1st in week 9, 4th in week 11, and now another win in week 13! Picking van der Poel is a good way to ensure some strong weeks, and indeed it's MvdP that leads the team this week, with 170 points for his 15 owners. rote_laterne also had some good support from a finally-scoring Kasper Asgreen (90 points, 82 teams), another impressive performance in a versatile spring from Matteo Jorgenson (70 points, 5 teams), and a 'hey remember me?' attacking performance from Nils Politt (60 points, 5 teams). Nevs lands in second with MvdP, Fred Wright (92, 24), Asgreen, and Kaden Groves (80, 7). LosBrolin gets the last spot on the podium thanks to MvdP/Wright/Asgreen and unique pick Davide Ballerini (59 points).

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1rote_laterne(+25)
2Nevs(+18)
3LosBrolin(+17)
3search(+17)
5firefly3323(+13)
5Anderis(+13)

A rare double ranking here! The top 5 is exactly the same as the Top Scorers ranking, with firefly3323 (who was 7th in the former ranking) the only interloper in a tie for 5th. (there's usually no simple explanation for trends in the complicated CQ game, but if you were to ask 'why were these teams in a place where they could move up so many places' the answer would generally be 'they mostly don't have Roglic so the standings have been a roller coaster lately').

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1rote_laterne166.5
2Blues in the bottle159.5
3bminchow137.3
4Jakob747122.3
5escartin120

rote laterne's good week takes them to the top of the Green Jersey competition as well, although Blues in the bottle got 5 points for a top 15 placing on the week as well. escartin gets 14 point on the week to get a spot in the top 5 overall.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)Blues in the bottle4891
2(-)Whoops4466
3(+1)tobydawq4430
4(-1)Riverside4417
5(+1)DJW4392
6(-1)HoudiniCycling4364
7(+1)repre4331
8(+1)will104286
9(+1)Crevaison4264
10(+1)jsem944223

Not nearly as much change in the overall as the wild last two weeks. Blues in the bottle extends their team's lead impressively to over 400 points, outscoring Whoops by over 250 points this week (and having the highest weekly score of any top 10 team). Lower down, jsem94 joins the top 10 at the expense of Yellow Knight.

This week, of course, is maybe the best week of the cycling calendar, with Itzulia the sandwich between RVV/Paris-Roubaix. Scheldeprijs and a couple of 2.1 races (in France and checks notes Thailand) providing snacks as well.

spreadsheet at dropbox