• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2023 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
With the LBL leader usually faltering later on in the season, what is most important to overperform the expected value is, I think, to have a bunch of team close to the top at this stage so that at least one will continue scoring well. That's the complete opposite of what we have this year. In fact if we ignore Blues' team for a second, and run the equation on will10's second place team we end up with a expected final score of 14622 for the winner. So I would take the under on the expected value for the winner (despite it not being all that high to begin with). To get back to the original point made by Devil's Elbow, anybody doubling their score should be very close to the win this year.

Reactions: postmanhat
Can't believe I passed on picking repeat riders from my 2022 team for a bunch of guys that don't even show up to race. Although Van Eetvelt adding a doping suspension was a nice touch to add a different flavor to the "whole team sucks" vibes.

Very much the same. Almost impressive how bad my team has been this year. Aside from Pidcock, only one of my top 27 riders is in profit, and that's Van Eetvelt. A few others have shown flashes of form but immediately crash, get ill, or even worse, diagnosed with mononucleosis (best wishes Hugo). Amazingly, there are 30 teams worse than mine, but that won't last now Ayuso is firing again and Pidcock's off to do MTB.

Have reset my goals to finishing last, and an easy selection process next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvansIsTheBest
4 guys in the top 10 of today's stage which softens the blow from Ayuso being off the pace.

I haven't been right about much this year beyond taking Van der Poel and Pidcock in the classics game so it's nice to see that rating Poole higher than Onley might actually be the correct call.

@skidmark, I can't remember if it was discussed at the time, and I can't use the search function right now, but when I was checking how Óscar Cabedo had performed this year, I noticed that CQ's results from the South Aegean Tour and the Tour of Rhodes don't seem be correct. This affects the scores of LUNDER Eirik, who should be on 15 points instead of 16, and TUREK Daniel, who should have 4 instead of 6.
quickest way to get these things fixed is normally a post on the CQ forum:

(as I had to look for the link anyway, I just brought it up there myself, btw)

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Update #17: Blues continues to crush

Romandie is in the books, and there was a wide range of points scored in the top 10 overall. Unfortunately for the rest of the field, it was the rich getting richer, as Blues in the bottle continued a wonderful spring run.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Blues in the bottle665
2Fivezzz637
3LosBrolin621
4EvansIsTheBest602
5Nyssinator551

Bitb grabs another trophy, getting 665 points on the week thanks to continued great pick Matteo Jorgenson (230 points, 5 teams), as well as a WT-best showing by young Uijtdebroeks (113 points, 67 teams), and good showings from the ubiquitous Bernal (91 points, 90 teams) and the less common Dunbar (80, 11) and Vernon (79, 12). Fivezzz lands in second without Jorgenson but with two 146-point scorers of wildly different pedigree: Juan Ayuso (25 teams) finally gets his season started, while the hitherto-unheralded Max Poole (6 teams) gives a career-best performance. LosBrolin lands in third with the same combo as Fivezzz.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1LosBrolin(+21)
2EvansIsTheBest(+19)
3slow_climber(+17)
4skidmark(+14)
5Nakazar(+11)

LosBrolin moves up in this standing, benefitting from the fact that weekly top scorer Bitb literally had no spots to move up the overall. A familiar name makes a first appearance this year on the charts, as defending champ EvansIsTheBest (Ayuso, Uijtdebroeks, Poole) gets it going by moving up 19 spots, while slow climber (Ayuso, Jorgenson, Uijtdebroeks) moves up 17.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Blues in the bottle204.5
2rote_laterne184.5
3bminchow151.3
4zaka_fan149.3
5escartin146

Unsurprisingly, Bitb moves into first in this competition as well, leapfrogging rote laterne with the 45 points that comes with a weekly win. No other teams in the top 5 scored points this week.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)Blues in the bottle6472
2(-)will105734
3(-)Whoops5651
4(-)repre5601
5(+1)Kazistuta5563
6(-1)Riverside5515
7(+3)jsem945435
8(-)Sneekes5384
9(+2)Object5360
10(-1)Crevaison5352

Not a lot of movement in the standings, but that masks the fact that Blues in the bottle basically gained 400 points on their team's closest competitors, making a 700+ point gap to second place. Further down, 2021 winner Object moves into the top 10 at the expense of tobydawq.

This week sees a few races happening, but the crown jewel is not going to pay off in CQ points fully for a few weeks later... it's Grand Tour season! The Giro is coming...

spreadsheet at dropbox

Giro
Van Wilder
Baudin
Moscon
Haig
Milan
Roglic

I’ve seen bigger teams in a GT… this team should hold up fairly well though, there just aren’t many popular picks starting.

Nothing in Hellas, nothing in Morbihan and currently only Rudy Barbier in TBL, this will probably be my lowest-scoring week of the season so far.

This week sees a few races happening, but the crown jewel is not going to pay off in CQ points fully for a few weeks later... it's Grand Tour season! The Giro is coming...
And so is the Giro CQ game so that you can either confirm your skills or simply try again. There are just under 20 hours to go from the timestamp of this post until the first rider starts and the deadline for the game.

TRENDING THREADS