• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2024 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tomorow: Trofeo Calvia, the one Rui Costa won last year. Even the most ardent fan would not have expected that the 80 points scored by him here would only cont as 8% of his 2023 total. Ben Healy came in third, Zingle fifth two other with very good seasons. Is there a trend? Gibbons won in 2021 and had his best season. McNulty in 2022, had is best season. Just speculating...

anyway, Team Dj Sprtsch: Romo, Van Eetvelt, Busatto, Valgren, Söderqvist

Oh yeah, the pleasure of looking at startlists in anticipation is something I haven't experienced this year yet!

I've got Emil Herzog and Michael Valgren for the first Mallorca race - overall startlist is a weird lineup for a not-hard race, could produce some surprises. Not implausible that a couple of punchy guys get away and the teams are too weak/have no real sprinters to support and they say away, although I guess Movistar will probably chase. But I don't think I'll get points from it either way.

Next day in the Surf Coast Classic I've got Archie Ryan, Leo Hayter, Biniam Girmay, Luke Plapp. So I guess I'm cheering for Bini, unless Plapp has all his skin back and then rides out of it.

Solid start for me in this game. Would have still been better without Plapp crashing, but 39 other players suffered the same, so time to look forward:

Trofeo Calvia:
Herzog
Busatto
Valgren
B. Thomas

Other Mallorca races:
Lamperti
Rafferty

Australia:
Girmay
Plapp
Ryan
L.Hayter

Colombia:
Bernal
Martinez
Quintana

Marseillaise:
-

Don´t know who of my riders is riding the Colombian nationals, but everyone who is riding, is very likely to score.. Really don´t know what to expect from Mallorca. In Australia hopes are for Girmay. Perhaps Plapp can do something on Sunday, if he is recovered..

My boys didn’t fancy a trip to Majorca.

From my entire team only Gianni MOSCON is riding tomorrow. Will get a first glimpse on whether Quickstep can work their resurrection magic again.
Wow, that is even worse then my team. Next year Im going to target riders in mallorca as it seems to be some nice easy points to start of with. Im also hoping it is vansevenant from quick step, not Moscon. And i think there are many of us that are hoping Moscon does NOT find any form with the new team, since we gave up from the last two years. of course i knew nothing about Long Covid. I figured he had just lost the winning attitude (ands all of the work and training that goes along with it)

Oh yeah, the pleasure of looking at startlists in anticipation is something I haven't experienced this year yet!

I've got Emil Herzog and Michael Valgren for the first Mallorca race - overall startlist is a weird lineup for a not-hard race, could produce some surprises. Not implausible that a couple of punchy guys get away and the teams are too weak/have no real sprinters to support and they say away, although I guess Movistar will probably chase. But I don't think I'll get points from it either way.

Next day in the Surf Coast Classic I've got Archie Ryan, Leo Hayter, Biniam Girmay, Luke Plapp. So I guess I'm cheering for Bini, unless Plapp has all his skin back and then rides out of it.
I would say Bini looks on form so I'm with you in pulling for him. And Movistar for Aranburu? I could see that. But my money is on McNulty tomake a statement to his team that he is ready to ride races to win.

For the Aussie races I have

Fretin (hoping for some points at least).
Plapp
Ryan
Rootkin Gray (was untypically poor in the TDU)
Tarling (likely super-domestique)
Onley (not really his sort of races)
I would give Rootkin Gray a break on his first race with the team and having to travel down under. the article makes it sound like he's going to be riding a lot of big races this year to get the experience. Which should be good for the long run but not this year :(

Reactions: armchairclimber
Saw a lot of people made a post with their picks and some reasoning. While I am only 75th and overlooked some important riders (Del Toro!) as I had just read about the game and then made the selection in an hour... hereby the rationale:
Ayuso: Young, talented and cheaper than some other GC hopefuls.
Pidcock: Sucked in CX this season but hoping his GC hope will pan out, otherwise hoping for stages to finish on a descend
Carlos Rodriguez: Hoping for further improve my GC wise!
Filippo Zana: Looked good in last year's giro (right?). Hoping it's onward and upwards
Jay Vine: Well, I have a Zwift bias.
Lenny Martinez: Expecting some results this year
Max Poole: Youth has the future
Ivan Garcia Cortina: No idea why I picked him to be honest. Had I picked list an hour later someone else would randomly be on!
Per Strand Hagenes: Young, talented and hoping Visma can get him to the absolute top
Rune Herregodts: Was better before turning pro. Hoping he was just a relative slow starter
Bart Lemmen: Hoping for Visma magic. Worked quite well in TDU! Also a Dutch bias here.
Jan Tratnik: Seemed cheaper than deserved. Although risk of being just a domestique with little points.
Marco Frigo: Looked ok in Giro last year
Sam Oomen: Dutch bias. Hasn't performed well. Other have left Visma hoping to do better, few managed. But was affordable so why not ?
Sean Flynn: young
Luca Vergallito: Il Bandito and... Zwift bias. Given the team has nothing for climbing he should be able to have freedom in such races to get points
Franck Bonnamour: I was cycling in Corsica last May. Saw someone descend in AG2R outfit and could see he knew what he was doing. Had to look up on Strava who it was. Much better than the amateurs like us, unfortunately not great compared to the stars of the sport. Hence, personal bias to pick him anyway !
David Dekker: Dutch bias. Hoping for some points in sprints.
Valgren: Zwift bias. Cycled versus his brother in the lower categories and that was entertaining. So hoping Valgren will recover well and get some solid wins again.
Brenner: Was a huge talent. Hoping it will still show.
Palzer: Did quite ok in Tour of Turkey. Has the engine...
Rootkin-Gray: Seemed to have some potential for points in Tour of Britain
Pernsteiner: Was quite ok a few years back but stagnated. Hoping it to change for 2024.
Anders Halland Johannesen: Why not? Not to expensive
Quintana: Cheap, on a decent team and always delivers in GC.
Vuillermoz: Team filler but had some nice moves in the past
Dries de Pooter: Team filler and cheap. Why not?
Ramon Sinkeldam: Team filler. Will only score points if main sprinter drops out so regret already
Gesink: I'm a fan, while realizing he won't score much points. Nowadays has to work far to early and Gesink of 2009 unfortunately isn't there anymore. Still hoping he will get a stage win this year. In 2022 he was very close in Vuelta if it wasn't for damn Remco!
Puccio: Cheap and name rang a bell...
Herrada: Cheaper than expected unless I misremembered he did quite well in some French races
Loe van Belle: Dutch bias and maybe Visma bias?
Tibor del Grosso: Looked decent in CX!

Going through list, not overly optimistic for the season. Even forgot numerous picks which doesn't reflect well ...

Next year Im going to target riders in mallorca as it seems to be some nice easy points to start of with.
That might actually not be too hard. It seems like it's always the same riders doing well there. McNulty seems to have an extra 100 watts hidden under a rock there somewhere. Costa, Vlasov and Bettiol are always beasts at the start of the season too, along with Wellens and a bunch of other Belgians.

Seems like no one has todays surprise winner Simon Carr.
Having scored 199 of his 325 points last year due to one single day of racing where he beat his teammate and some pro conti riders might have something to do with it. :D