• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2024 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Update #1: HoudiniCycling the Onley one on top

Well CQ missed its usual weekly updates covering the Aussie nats and small interim races before the TDU, but it has its first update of the year in aggregate of all those things. And perhaps unsurprisingly (although this year the TDU coincided with two 1.1 races opening the European season), it was the stars of the antipodean calendar that helped teams rise to the top. Some of the top scorers in TDU were so under the radar that they barely had an impact in this game - winner Stevie Williams went unpicked, while Narvaez and Lemmen were solo picks. So although no one hit the home run with Williams, there were still a lot of points to be had.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints
1HoudiniCycling835
2hayneplane770
3armchairclimber763
4Squire689
5Nakazar640

In what the Aussies would call a cracking start, HoudiniCycling takes the early lead, getting the best part of 1000 points in the first update alone. This was achieved with a selection of riders that shone in Australia's early going: Isaac Del Toro (264 points, 47 teams) chief amongst them, but Oscar Onley (181, 17) and Luke Plapp (150, 40) cracking triple digits too, along with several other riders scoring between 30-90. Newcomer hayneplane makes a notable debut with 770 points, thanks to Del Toro/Onley as well as triple stage winner Sam Welsford (196, 4), while armchairclimber has a great week to slot into the final podium spot with a top heavy lineup of Del Toro/Plapp/Onley and also Julian Alaphilippe (128, 10) but fewer overall scorers than the top 2 teams.

Green Jersey Competition

If you're new to the game or need a reminder, we have a Green Jersey competition where teams get assigned points based on their weekly placings (similar to stages in a GT), and that gets compiled across the year. Points are assigned to top 15 teams each week, with a points formulation based off of TDF Green Jersey points in a previous (2010s) iteration. Points go 45-35-30-26-22-20-18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2, with any ties in CQ points seeing points split by averaging the placing points (eg if teams tied for 13th-14th-15th, they'd all get 4 instead of 6-4-2).

Anyway, this week is the only week so far, so it's the same ordering as the week and overall.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)HoudiniCycling835
2(-1)hayneplane770
3(-2)armchairclimber763
4(-3)Squire689
5(-4)Nakazar640
6(-5)Josedin622
7(-6)trackstand612
8(-7)repre590
9(-8)Nevs575
10(-9)adamski101574

Every week I'll post the top 10 overall. Not much to add here, as no teams move up, and everyone moves down from a tie from first aside from HoudiniCycling.

spreadsheet link - each week I post a link to the spreadsheet on dropbox. There were a couple of times last year where people had issues with accessing the spreadsheet - I think it's fixed but holler at me here if that's the case and if it becomes an issue I'll post through a different platform than dropbox.

Final note - the Week & Month Data tab is not updated with current info yet (ie is still populated with last year's teams) because it's not relevant yet since this is the first week and the overall is the same as the weekly. I'll clean it up by next week but just wanted to note it so I don't get messages alerting me to it.

Thanks everyone! Excited to get going on this game.

Update #1: HoudiniCycling the Onley one on top

Well CQ missed its usual weekly updates covering the Aussie nats and small interim races before the TDU, but it has its first update of the year in aggregate of all those things. And perhaps unsurprisingly (although this year the TDU coincided with two 1.1 races opening the European season), it was the stars of the antipodean calendar that helped teams rise to the top. Some of the top scorers in TDU were so under the radar that they barely had an impact in this game - winner Stevie Williams went unpicked, while Narvaez and Lemmen were solo picks. So although no one hit the home run with Williams, there were still a lot of points to be had.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints
1HoudiniCycling835
2hayneplane770
3armchairclimber763
4Squire689
5Nakazar640

In what the Aussies would call a cracking start, HoudiniCycling takes the early lead, getting the best part of 1000 points in the first update alone. This was achieved with a selection of riders that shone in Australia's early going: Isaac Del Toro (264 points, 47 teams) chief amongst them, but Oscar Onley (181, 17) and Luke Plapp (150, 40) cracking triple digits too, along with several other riders scoring between 30-90. Newcomer hayneplane makes a notable debut with 770 points, thanks to Del Toro/Onley as well as triple stage winner Sam Welsford (196, 4), while armchairclimber has a great week to slot into the final podium spot with a top heavy lineup of Del Toro/Plapp/Onley and also Julian Alaphilippe (128, 10) but fewer overall scorers than the top 2 teams.

Green Jersey Competition

If you're new to the game or need a reminder, we have a Green Jersey competition where teams get assigned points based on their weekly placings (similar to stages in a GT), and that gets compiled across the year. Points are assigned to top 15 teams each week, with a points formulation based off of TDF Green Jersey points in a previous (2010s) iteration. Points go 45-35-30-26-22-20-18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2, with any ties in CQ points seeing points split by averaging the placing points (eg if teams tied for 13th-14th-15th, they'd all get 4 instead of 6-4-2).

Anyway, this week is the only week so far, so it's the same ordering as the week and overall.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)HoudiniCycling835
2(-1)hayneplane770
3(-2)armchairclimber763
4(-3)Squire689
5(-4)Nakazar640
6(-5)Josedin622
7(-6)trackstand612
8(-7)repre590
9(-8)Nevs575
10(-9)adamski101574

Every week I'll post the top 10 overall. Not much to add here, as no teams move up, and everyone moves down from a tie from first aside from HoudiniCycling.

spreadsheet link - each week I post a link to the spreadsheet on dropbox. There were a couple of times last year where people had issues with accessing the spreadsheet - I think it's fixed but holler at me here if that's the case and if it becomes an issue I'll post through a different platform than dropbox.

Final note - the Week & Month Data tab is not updated with current info yet (ie is still populated with last year's teams) because it's not relevant yet since this is the first week and the overall is the same as the weekly. I'll clean it up by next week but just wanted to note it so I don't get messages alerting me to it.

Thanks everyone! Excited to get going on this game.

Well, I've never cracked the top 3 before, so I'll print that screen. I don't expect to stay up top for too long but delighted to have this moment. I hope Alaphilippe continues to show improved form.

I thought I might have been last in the standings but four teams have managed to get a worse start than me. Fortunately, the primary reason for my slow start is that only three of my riders participated in Down Under. But neither Ryan, Covi nor Staune-Mittet gave me any confidence in them being good picks. It's pretty bad that the only game-pertaining highlight of my season so far has been Plapp's crash...

And I'm of course still kicking myself that I somehow didn't include Del Toro in my final line-up.

First big race in your first participation in the game. That's a ludicrously good debut.
Thank you. The Luke Plapp crash probably played a big part in swinging things my way but yeah very happy with the outcome.

Very helpful that some of my youngsters got leadership opportunities to take advantage of TDU being a very generous points giver of an event.

Not going to carried away as the season doesn’t really start to fully take shape until MSR in mid March.

Looking at the standing, I don't know which other player than yourself you're referring to.

Samu is - embarrasingly - above me.

I gotta thank Aranburu for scoring points early this season, which probably means he won't do much for the rest of the year.

I'm slightly disappointed that I only have 16 riders travelling to Mallorca, although I am pleasantly surprised that Yago Aguirre is one of them, as I didn't expect Sauerland would be riding those races.

Lol, Stephen Williams into profit with his win Down Under but not picked once. This season's Rui Costa?
We'll see. Plenty of TDU winners fail to replicate anything approaching that form during the rest of the year. Slagter and Vine being prime examples. I just find it hard to believe that Williams would sustain this level long enough to approximate the 950ish points that Costa scored last year.

It had been forever since he scored like he did in 2023 but Costa had at least shown that kind of level in the past. Williams really never has.

79th place. Kind of what I expected before TDU started. Not having Del Toro hurts, and will probably haunt me the rest of the season.

Fisher-Black was meant to be my secret weapon down under, but he crashed on the last stage and finished 63rd in GC. That said, he wasn't doing very well before the crash either, sitting in 11th place. I had even imagined a top 3 would be attainable for him, but oh well. Him finishing 63rd instead of 11th was probably evened out by Plapp crashing even harder so I can't even complain about bad luck haha.

By the way, props to the one person who picked Lemmen (sorry, I forgot who). I'm very surprised not more people took a gamble on him.

I thought I might have been last in the standings but four teams have managed to get a worse start than me. Fortunately, the primary reason for my slow start is that only three of my riders participated in Down Under. But neither Ryan, Covi nor Staune-Mittet gave me any confidence in them being good picks.
Covi crashed twice during the race. Health seems a recurring issue for him but I believe he can have a successful season with the schedule UAE decided for him.

Out of curiosity, where did you read about Covi's schedule? I can't find anything that mentions he's doing the "Hirschi schedule".

Matxin is convinced both Ulissi and Covi can score a lot of points in minor races while there are better riders for the domestique roles in GTs.