• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2024 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just looked at the points categories and there are some really bizarre categorisations such as TDU being in a higher bracket than Catalunya and Itzulia which are both part of the traditional big 7 one week stage races and Hamburg higher than Strade Bianchi.

Strade Bianche is actually in the same points category as the Hamburg Cyclassics and the two Spanish stage races according to the current rules.

Reactions: hayneplane
Just looked at the points categories and there are some really bizarre categorisations such as TDU being in a higher bracket than Catalunya and Itzulia which are both part of the traditional big 7 one week stage races and Hamburg higher than Strade Bianchi.
Strade Bianche was moved up last year, but not changed on the page that lists races by category (which also still ranks nations by 2018 points);
@Samu Cuenca, although Catalunya and Itzulia are listed at WT2, that is the same as Pologne and Benelux, below the other historic 5 and TDU. That they are 2.WT2 and Strade Bianche is 1.WT2 is not really an equivalence,as Strade is one rung below the Monuments, and these are 2 rungs below Giro & Vuelta

Another oddity is that Course de la Paix U23 and Orlen Nations give the same points rewards as l'Avenir, and twice as much as Baby Giro.

The wisest players will have made themselves aware of these things before they selected their teams, but the race rankings, with the points for the winners are:
600​
GT1Tour de France
500​
GT2Giro d’Italia, Vuelta a España
400​
Worlds and Olympics RR
280​
1.WT1Monuments
260​
2.WT1TDU, Paris-Nice, T-A, Romandie,Dauphine, Suisse
250​
Worlds and Olympics TT
220​
2.WT2Catalunya, Itzulia,Pologne, Benelux
220​
1.WT2Strade Bianche, E3, Gent-Wev, Amstel, Fleche, San Seb, Hamburg, Ouest France, Quebec, Montreal
190​
2.WT3UAE Tour, Guangxi
180​
1.WT3CEGORR, Omloop, Brugge-De Panne, Dwars, Eschborn-Frankfurt
150​
2.PS2.ProSeries
140​
National Champs RR Countries ranked 1-5
130​
1.PS1.ProSeries
110​
2.1Other level 1 stage races
100​
National Champs RR Countries ranked 6-10
100​
Europeans Champs RR
80​
1.1other level 1 one day races
70​
National Champs TT Countries ranked 1-5
60​
National Champs RR Countries ranked 11-25
60​
Worlds U23 RR
50​
2.NCNations Cup U23 stage races: l'Avenir, Orlen Course de la Paix
50​
National Champs TT Countries ranked 6-10
50​
Europeans Champs TT
40​
Non-Euro continental champs RR
30​
1.NCU23 Nations Cup one day races: I don't think there are any
30​
National Champs RR Countries ranked 26-50
30​
National Champs TT Countries ranked 11-25
30​
Worlds U23 TT
25​
2.2including 2.2U
20​
Non-Euro continental champs TT
15​
1.2including 1.2 U
15​
National Champs RR Countries ranked 51+
15​
National Champs TT Countries ranked 26-50
7​
National Champs TT Countries ranked 51+

plus stage points, leaders points within stage races,and Mountain and Sprint classifications for WT stage races.

Last edited:
Strade Bianche was moved up last year, but not changed on the page that lists races by category (which also still ranks nations by 2018 points);
@Samu Cuenca, although Catalunya and Itzulia are listed at WT2, that is the same as Pologne and Benelux, below the other historic 5 and TDU. That they are 2.WT2 and Strade Bianche is 1.WT2 is not really an equivalence,as Strade is one rung below the Monuments, and these are 2 rungs below Giro & Vuelta

Another oddity is that Course de la Paix U23 and Orlen Nations give the same points rewards as l'Avenir, and twice as much as Baby Giro.

I initially forgot which thread I was in and was looking at the UCI points system by mistake, since I spotted that the rules listed on Wikipedia didn't match the rules in the UCI regulations. However since the CQ system is heavily based on the UCI one, I was almost completely right anyway.

So fast it goes... No Welsford, no Girmay, no Plapp or Del Toro in my team, so I didnt feel comfortable the last the few days. But I have Onley so it looks like ending quite good for me at the TDU. Impressive performance by him.

Have to be pleased with that, having Plapp, Del Toro and Onley. Shame about Plapp ... but he looks good, so will hopefully bounce back. Gonna need those big GC points tomorrow, maybe some Alaphilippe bonus points ...as I have no riders in the Spanish 1 day races this weekend, and only 6 in Majorca.

Have to be pleased with that, having Plapp, Del Toro and Onley. Shame about Plapp ... but he looks good, so will hopefully bounce back. Gonna need those big GC points tomorrow, maybe some Alaphilippe bonus points ...as I have no riders in the Spanish 1 day races this weekend, and only 6 in Majorca.
Got 5 out of 5 so far for stage wins from my boys. Just need Onley or Del Toro to seal the deal in the GC to reel in some big points.

...and Hamburg higher than Strade Bianchi.
Not sure why you think Strade Bianchi ought to be higher than Hamburg though? Strade Bianchi is a rather new race on the pro calender while Hamburg is not ancient it still has 10 more years of pedigree than Strade Bianchi and also has the legacy of being a part of the UCI World Cup when that still existed. I know people have always looked down on Hamburg in comparison to the true classics and Strade Bianche has it's unique features but legacy still counts for something should it not?

Not sure why you think Strade Bianchi ought to be higher than Hamburg though? Strade Bianchi is a rather new race on the pro calender while Hamburg is not ancient it still has 10 more years of pedigree than Strade Bianchi and also has the legacy of being a part of the UCI World Cup when that still existed. I know people have always looked down on Hamburg in comparison to the true classics and Strade Bianche has it's unique features but legacy still counts for something should it not?
Looking it up Hamburg has a better palmares than I expected but not so much in the last 15 years and I would take the winners list from Strade over Hamburg easily.

Okay. So Covi isn't going to do anything this race. Ryan and Staine-Mittet arent ready. Hodeg is who I thought he is. Quinn showed some life and Plapp shat the bed. I guess I'll take whatever Girmay can give me and move on to Spain.... where i have almost no starters. where are all my guys?

Baroncini and maybe hodeg and that is it? Im getting less excited about this season by the day.

Man, I tried so hard to convince myself to take Bart Lemmen, but in the end I landed on what I saw as safer options. Maybe I'll come to regret that.

Slightly disappointed that Vergallito blew up after being near the front on Willunga, but great result from Onley of course.

Of course, I was severely limited by only having Danes, but it would have been nice if Price-Pejtersen would have... not hit a pole during the final stage!

One of those things standing by the road, you idiots! Maciejuk was not involved.

You did write pole, not Pole.

But yeah, I think last year, more riders were taken out by that specific Pole you mention than poles.

Reactions: Kazistuta
Cracked 750 points already. Easily my best start to a season and I guess I must be at least in the hunt now. Encouraging signs from Alaphilippe this week and Del Toro showing great profit already ... though he is in a lot of teams. No riders in Spain today, but a few contenders in Majorca. Looking forward to an update now.
Little tip of the cap to Williams, who rode for my team in 2021, and gave me a nice little profit.

Last edited:
Okay. So Covi isn't going to do anything this race. Ryan and Staine-Mittet arent ready. Hodeg is who I thought he is. Quinn showed some life and Plapp shat the bed. I guess I'll take whatever Girmay can give me and move on to Spain.... where i have almost no starters. where are all my guys?

Baroncini and maybe hodeg and that is it? Im getting less excited about this season by the day.
Archie Ryan looks to be a little bit closer, at least judging by this race.

He wasnt too far down or behind timewise.

Man, I tried so hard to convince myself to take Bart Lemmen, but in the end I landed on what I saw as safer options. Maybe I'll come to regret that.
Same here. Have him in the 2023-2025 emerging game and was quite happy with his first year. But was unsure on how much opportunities he will get in the strong Visma squad to score a lot more points this year especially as his race schedule seems World Tour based. Thought Vader would be their first option for TDU, so it's a strong indication he outrode him down under. Still not sure what to expect from him, could easily be his only great result for the next months.