• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2024 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Big week coming up with many races.

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya
HIGUITA Sergio
QUINTANA Nairo
BUSATTO Francesco
BERNAL Egan
TIBERI Antonio
COLLEONI Kevin

Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali
PICCOLO Andrea
RYAN Archie
DEL TORO Isaac
VANDENABEELE Henri

Classic Brugge-De Panne
LAMPERTI Luke
MIHKELS Madis
WALLS Matthew
HODEG Álvaro José
MORGADO António
PICKRELL Riley

E3 Saxo Classic
HAGENES Per Strand
WRIGHT Fred
GIRMAY Biniam
MOSCON Gianni
SHEFFIELD Magnus
TURNER Ben

Gent-Wevelgem
GIRMAY Biniam
MIHKELS Madis
LAMPERTI Luke
WRIGHT Fred
MORGADO António
HODEG Álvaro José
HAGENES Per Strand
SHEFFIELD Magnus
TURNER Ben
PICKRELL Riley

La Roue Tourangelle
POLLEFLIET Gianluca
WALLS Matthew

Lets see what happens.

Last edited:
Volta Ciclista a Catalunya
HIGUITA Sergio
QUINTANA Nairo
UIJTDEBROEKS Cian
BERNAL Egan
HAYTER Eathan
LECERF William Junior
VLASOV Alexandr
STEINHAUSER Georg
RAFFERTY Darren
LEKNESUND Andreas
KULSET Johannes

Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali
RYAN Archie
DEL TORO Isaac
SEGAERT Alec
VANDENABEELE Henri
STAUNE-MITTET Johannes

Classic Brugge-De Panne
GELDERS Gil
MORGADO António
VALGREN Michael
MILESI Lorenzo

E3 Saxo Classic
GIRMAY Biniam
MOSCON Gianni
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
VALGREN Michael
HOELGAARD Markus

Gent-Wevelgem
GIRMAY Biniam
MORGADO António
HAGENES Per Strand
GELDERS Gil
VALGREN Michael

Last edited:
Tobias Johannessen will ride Catalunya, so he didn't miss any real points. Senechal can return to racing this week too. Collarbones healing quickly this year
Potentially missed loads at Alpes-Maritimes/Strade and Tirreno, but great to see him back so much earlier than anticipated.

Catalunya
Johannessen
Hayter
Schelling
Lopez
Riccitello
Laurance

Awful schedule for Laurance so far. Riccitello's not much better.

Coppi i Bartali
Piccolo
Ryan
Segaert
Staune-Mittet
Vandenabeele

Mainly hoping Piccolo shows some consistency for more than one day

Bit late since game is well under way but what about a polka dot jersey? Similar point distribution as green jersey but then awarded based on who improved the most in terms of rank. Of course there is quite some similarity as the game doesn't have many dimensions (it's all based on points) but in theory the players with less overlap in riders are likely to win due to higher variance in their points versus the mean.

Green jersey already has this to some extent but based on ranks it will be more likely won by those middle or low in rankings compared to Green Jersey.
We ran that exact competition for about 4 or 5 years but I stopped when the majority of feedback was that a green jersey competition was sufficient. Indeed, the two rankings seemed to overlap quite a bit. If it was easy enough to program that into the website to track so that people could check in on it, I'm sure a good amount of folks would be interested! But for the updates, the feedback I had was that they were sufficiently long as is.

We ran that exact competition for about 4 or 5 years but I stopped when the majority of feedback was that a green jersey competition was sufficient. Indeed, the two rankings seemed to overlap quite a bit. If it was easy enough to program that into the website to track so that people could check in on it, I'm sure a good amount of folks would be interested! But for the updates, the feedback I had was that they were sufficiently long as is.

How about a BYR competition?
Only counting point from U23 riders.
In that, I'd have a grand total of... 19 points... 11 from Søjberg, and 8 from Lund...

Thanks!

I might throw it on the site in some time. Shouldn't be a lot of work so when I can be bothered I'll create it. Also will add table with weekly results for green jersey and probably make tables sortable to more easily have different views. Won't be done soon though but last week wasn't behind desk and data kept updated automatically and seems to work well, so happy with that!

Update #9: Bettiol didn't see that performance coming

The first monument of the year, but more importantly week 9 of the CQ manager game, is in the books! It was a quieter week in terms of CQ points, as there were only a smattering of 1-day races (and two of those were French 1.1 races where I was almost sure that most of the rider names were made up by AI prompted by generating French cyclists), and with the top 8 of MSR picked only 7 times total in the game (2 each for Matthews, Pogi and Bettiol, one for Mohoric), there weren't a ton of high scores. But if you had one of those guys, you got off to a pretty good boost!

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1tobydawq539
2vladimir502
3Josedin445
4Riverside408
5jsem94394

tobydawq wins the week as one of only two teams to clear 500 points. Not coincidentally, these are also the only two teams to have picked Alberto Bettiol, who had one of the biggest weeks in his mercurial CQ-scoring career. Bettiol won Milan-Torino and got 5th in Milan-San Remo to bring in 242 points for both tobydawq and vladimir. tobydawq was also given significant help from two 2nd places in HC races from Fabio Jakobsen (78 points, 16 teams) and Jan Christen (78, 36), and some support points for placings from other riders. vladimir had another rare pick winner in Jannik Steimle (130, 4) but not quite enough minor point support to oercome tobydawq. Josedin finishes a fine third place thanks to unique pick Tim Merlier (130), rare pick Arnaud De Lie (110, 3) and unique pick Gerben Thijssen (66).

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1vladimir(+14)
2jsem94(+13)
3tobydawq(+12)
4search(+11)
5Riverside(+10)

A very similar top 5 here, with vladimir coming out on top thanks to a 14-spot leap in the standings. tobydawq double podiums but comes third here, while jsem94 gets onto the podium thanks to contributions from Simone Consonni (110, 4), Julian Alaphilippe (70, 10), Pascal Ackermann (58, 11) and Hugo Hofstetter (56, 4).

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1shalgo152
2Jakob747120
3repre104
4skidmark80
4Shakes80

No change in the top 5 this week; the highest overall team that got points this week was tobydawq who moved up to 8th overall with the 45 points for the win.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)shalgo4779
2(+1)skidmark4084
3(-1)repre4078
4(-)Squire3967
5(-)MADRAZO3803
6(-1)Salvarani3784
7(+2)JPettersen3742
8(+2)oliveira3708
9(-2)Lortnoc3695
10(+1)DJ Sprtsch3642

Despite a nondescript week, shalgo manages to increase the lead by 90 points this week, finishing 28th on the week while skidmark and repre finished 73rd and 76th to round out the podium. not much change further down, with DJ Sprtsch getting back into the top 10 at the expense of early leader Jakob747 who falls to 11th.

This week should see a solid haul of points for many teams, as the spring stage race and classics riders get into full swing. Catalunya leads the way on the WorldTour front, with Coppi e Bartali as the 2.1 undercard for the stage racers. On the 1-day front is no fewer than 3 WT races in De Panne, E3, and Gent-Wevelgem. The cobbles are fully here!

spreadsheet link

How about a BYR competition?
Only counting point from U23 riders.
In that, I'd have a grand total of... 19 points... 11 from Søjberg, and 8 from Lund...
I actually think a grey jersey for best over 30s would be more interesting as a huge amount of riders picked already are under 23 as that is where the big progression is most naturally expected whereas picking who will bounce back as a veteran or have an unexpected career year is harder.

Ackermann with broken collarbone from his crash in de Panne just in the time of the one-day races, where he could score significant in this game..

Well had a good start, but I think without Ayuso and my rarer picks not performing that good also this year there will not be a top placing for me..

Update #9: Bettiol didn't see that performance coming

The first monument of the year, but more importantly week 9 of the CQ manager game, is in the books! It was a quieter week in terms of CQ points, as there were only a smattering of 1-day races (and two of those were French 1.1 races where I was almost sure that most of the rider names were made up by AI prompted by generating French cyclists), and with the top 8 of MSR picked only 7 times total in the game (2 each for Matthews, Pogi and Bettiol, one for Mohoric), there weren't a ton of high scores. But if you had one of those guys, you got off to a pretty good boost!

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1tobydawq539
2vladimir502
3Josedin445
4Riverside408
5jsem94394

tobydawq wins the week as one of only two teams to clear 500 points. Not coincidentally, these are also the only two teams to have picked Alberto Bettiol, who had one of the biggest weeks in his mercurial CQ-scoring career. Bettiol won Milan-Torino and got 5th in Milan-San Remo to bring in 242 points for both tobydawq and vladimir. tobydawq was also given significant help from two 2nd places in HC races from Fabio Jakobsen (78 points, 16 teams) and Jan Christen (78, 36), and some support points for placings from other riders. vladimir had another rare pick winner in Jannik Steimle (130, 4) but not quite enough minor point support to oercome tobydawq. Josedin finishes a fine third place thanks to unique pick Tim Merlier (130), rare pick Arnaud De Lie (110, 3) and unique pick Gerben Thijssen (66).

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1vladimir(+14)
2jsem94(+13)
3tobydawq(+12)
4search(+11)
5Riverside(+10)

A very similar top 5 here, with vladimir coming out on top thanks to a 14-spot leap in the standings. tobydawq double podiums but comes third here, while jsem94 gets onto the podium thanks to contributions from Simone Consonni (110, 4), Julian Alaphilippe (70, 10), Pascal Ackermann (58, 11) and Hugo Hofstetter (56, 4).

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1shalgo152
2Jakob747120
3repre104
4skidmark80
4Shakes80

No change in the top 5 this week; the highest overall team that got points this week was tobydawq who moved up to 8th overall with the 45 points for the win.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)shalgo4779
2(+1)skidmark4084
3(-1)repre4078
4(-)Squire3967
5(-)MADRAZO3803
6(-1)Salvarani3784
7(+2)JPettersen3742
8(+2)oliveira3708
9(-2)Lortnoc3695
10(+1)DJ Sprtsch3642

Despite a nondescript week, shalgo manages to increase the lead by 90 points this week, finishing 28th on the week while skidmark and repre finished 73rd and 76th to round out the podium. not much change further down, with DJ Sprtsch getting back into the top 10 at the expense of early leader Jakob747 who falls to 11th.

This week should see a solid haul of points for many teams, as the spring stage race and classics riders get into full swing. Catalunya leads the way on the WorldTour front, with Coppi e Bartali as the 2.1 undercard for the stage racers. On the 1-day front is no fewer than 3 WT races in De Panne, E3, and Gent-Wevelgem. The cobbles are fully here!

spreadsheet link

Woop woop

Reactions: EvansIsTheBest
I'll be placing Ackermann on my growing injured reserve list.

This is the time of year where I look at my team and think "hang on, what on earth happened to rider x ?". Speaking of which, Matthew Dinham has disappeared this year - anyone have any news on him ? Louvel is on the provisional startlist for harelbeke tomorrow which would be his seasonal debut

Last edited:

This is the time of year where I look at my team and think "hang on, what on earth happened to rider x ?". Speaking of which, Matthew Dinham has less reported sightings this year than Princess Kate - anyone have any news on him ? Louvel is on the provisional startlist for harelbeke tomorrow which would be his seasonal debut
Louvel won't ride E3

• Sad
Reactions: Eyeballs Out

This is the time of year where I look at my team and think "hang on, what on earth happened to rider x ?". Speaking of which, Matthew Dinham has less reported sightings this year than Princess Kate - anyone have any news on him ? Louvel is on the provisional startlist for harelbeke tomorrow which would be his seasonal debut
I have Dinham too - PCS had him listed for the Australian races, then withdrew him from them one by one. Heard nothing since.