• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2024 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I've been distracted a bit (read: Not looking at this CQ Game). I see the website (https://www.savius.at/CQGame/cqgame.php?page=Ranking) has still been ticking along nicely (which is good! As I neglected it). Has it been useful to anyone? Any suggestions for improvement/changes or anything else? I'll have a look at this again later this week if there is anything to improve! Will have some time to play again with the code. :)
Use it all the time. The main improvement i need is live update after each race)) timing is everything. Also it would be useful to calculate week points in monday-sunday format, like in traditional updates.

With C.Rodriguez last minute addition to the startlist I really have 12 riders participating in the Romandie this week. Don´t remember when I had more riders in one race.. Because I don´t have Ayuso it´s still possible, that I will be still further down in the ranking after the week.. ;)

With C.Rodriguez last minute addition to the startlist I really have 12 riders participating in the Romandie this week. Don´t remember when I had more riders in one race.. Because I don´t have Ayuso it´s still possible, that I will be still further down in the ranking after the week.. ;)
Judging from his Ardennes level Ayuso is not in greatest shape right now, so maybe he won't win.

Thanks for feedback!

Wish list:
Weekly Ranking: Fixed weeks rather than rolling 7 days.
Color coding of changes. Maybe I'll also make it sortable.

Regarding updates. I can change it but problem is I don't know when source (CQRanking) updates the points. Now I retrieve it somewhere in the morning automatically (CET), can easily change it but not sure to which time to be more up-to-date.

After a slow week points wise it is always nice that new races are on the horizon.

Tour of the Alps
HIGUITA Sergio
TIBERI Antonio
LEEMREIZE Gijs

La Flèche Wallonne
CARAPAZ Richard
RYAN Archie
TURNER Ben
BUSATTO Francesco
COLLEONI Kevin
AYUSO Juan

Startlist pretty incomplete, so more could hopefully be added.

Liège - Bastogne - Liège
PICCOLO Andrea
CARAPAZ Richard
RYAN Archie
BERNAL Egan
TIBERI Antonio
BUSATTO Francesco
COLLEONI Kevin

Startlist pretty incomplete, so more could hopefully be added.

There is also Giro della Romagna (1) and Presidential Cycling Tour of Türkiye (2) but I dont have anyone listed there atm.

Added:
DEL TORO Isaac (1)
MORGADO António (1)

Just have to hope for the best this week.
Tiberi, somewhat, saves a tough period for my team in the past couple of weeks.

Helped with points Morgado, Del Toro, Bernal, Carapaz and Higuita to some degree as well.

Looks like it could still be enough stay in the top 5, I am hoping. Yes, I am DJ Khaled suffering from success.

I have 13 riders in Romandie, and I fully expect Ayuso to outscore all of them combined. :(

Pidcock keeps pidcocking, so I didn't do to well in combating the upcoming Ayuso stomp during the Ardennes week (except a nice Amstel win).

Nice win today for my one-man Turkey team, who is now close to going into profit despite a horrific schedule so far.

For Romandie, I have Ayuso, Christen, Staune-Mittet, Masnada, Arensman, Rodriguez, Oldani, Carapaz, Meintjes, Faure Prost and Dainese. That should be enough to hold my own in the flood of big scores that the race should produce.

I've been distracted a bit (read: Not looking at this CQ Game). I see the website (https://www.savius.at/CQGame/cqgame.php?page=Ranking) has still been ticking along nicely (which is good! As I neglected it). Has it been useful to anyone? Any suggestions for improvement/changes or anything else? I'll have a look at this again later this week if there is anything to improve! Will have some time to play again with the code. :)
It would be cool if the weekly points could completely reset on Mondays so that you only see an accumulative score for the current week rather than a running total of the past 7 days.

I also had more riders in Romandie that I thought.

Tour de Romandie
Jan Christen
Johannes Staune-Mittet
Julian Alaphilippe
Alexandr Vlasov
Sergio Higuita
Egan Bernal
Thymen Arensman
Ethan Hayter
Richard Carapaz
Darren Rafferty
Michael Valgren

Vuelta Asturias
Isaac Del Toro
Antonio Morgado

Famenne Ardenne Classic
Alec Segaert

My squad for Romandie:

AYUSO PESQUERA Juan
RODRIGUEZ CANO Carlos
CARAPAZ MONTENEGRO Richard Antonio
HAYTER Ethan
HIGUITA GARCIA Sergio Andres
PLAPP Lucas
NYS Thibau
ARENSMAN Thymen
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
STAUNE-MITTET Johannes
VALGREN HUNDAHL (ANDERSEN) Michael
RAFFERTY Darren
CHRISTEN Jan

Possibly the strongest squad I've ever had for a single race in this game? That's not very good, because they can't all achieve a satisfying result if there's that many of them in the same race.

Thank you for comments!

Please check: https://www.savius.at/CQGame/cqgame.php?page=Ranking

I've added a column 'Point Change since Sunday'. Haven't properly tested whether it works in all cases though. When satisfactory I could emphasize that column more. Renamed the previous column to 7d Point Change.

Works on my end but didn't test it everywhere: Team Rankings column is now sortable. Just click on the column header. Haven't done it for the tables on the other pages (but not a lot of work if someone prefers it).

Didn't do the color coding, hoping the sorting should be better as one can sort on that.

Reactions: EvansIsTheBest
Thank you for comments!

Please check: https://www.savius.at/CQGame/cqgame.php?page=Ranking

I've added a column 'Point Change since Sunday'. Haven't properly tested whether it works in all cases though. When satisfactory I could emphasize that column more. Renamed the previous column to 7d Point Change.

Works on my end but didn't test it everywhere: Team Rankings column is now sortable. Just click on the column header. Haven't done it for the tables on the other pages (but not a lot of work if someone prefers it).

Didn't do the color coding, hoping the sorting should be better as one can sort on that.
The point change since Sunday doesn't seem to work correctly since it appears to include the points scored on the Sunday as well. For example Googolplex has 507 points in that column and that can impossibly have been scored just on the Monday.

Is this an American thing perhaps that counts the week starting on Sunday? The UCI calender uses the European system where the week starts on Monday. So the weekly download from CQranking usually comes out late Sunday evening or Monday morning and includes the Sunday results.

Thanks, think I fixed it (I think). Just had to make a larger than sunday, rather than larger than or equal to. Just need to now see what happens on Monday's, as I think we might not actually get the full week overview then as it might then reset. As said, was a bit lazy to test it properly... (hence just an additional column, rather than replacing the 7d).

So spring classics are over and it´s time for a litte analysis.

Until now there are 5 pretty popular picks, which seems to be essential for this year, if you want to be in the first ranks!

Ayuso (39 players, 960 points already, 2000 points in the end looks likely)
Cosnefroy (16 players, 706 points already, for may he is scheduled for Tro-Bro Leon, Tour de Finistre and Boucles de la Mayenne, could really become the Hirschi of this season)
del Toro (47 players, 587 points already and UAE seems to let him ride also still smaller races, where he still can score big this season)
Morgado (37 players, 343 points, same like del Toro with a bit less weight perhaps)
Bernal (43 players, 470 points already, seems that he is returning to his old form, could easily end in 1500 points this season)

With Shalgo there is only one player, who has all of them in his team! I have only del Toro, Morgado and Bernal..

Reactions: shalgo
I was messing around a bit with the spreadsheet to see how good of a team was possible at this point in time. Without even optimizing it at all I could easily put together a team that would be at 11444 points already.

Has there been any hindsight evaluations in the past? What are the highest season score a hindsight team has gotten? Has any managed to get past 30k?

Update #14: Googolplex scores... well, not a Googolplex points, but the most on the week!

The Ardennes are in the books, spring is in the air, and a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of the Grand Tours. We're 4 monuments in, and one thing is constant in this game - shalgo has an unassailable lead for the moment. In more immediate considerations, one team was head and shoulders above the rest this week.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Googolplex704
2Gotland627
3Jakob747569
4Amis_Velo530
5Simurgh525

It takes some gumption to spend 3602 of your 7500 points on a single rider, but we are getting to the point where it's reasonable to ask if Pogacar might be a decent pick for the 2024 game. At the very least, it's moments like this where you get the weekly win that make it a decent thought to have him, as Googolplex does. You don't get bonus points for dominating margin of victory, but you do still get 280 points for a monument win. Anyway, Googolplex wins the week handily with that as a springboard, but also solid contributions from Benoit Cosnefroy (128, 16), Mauri Vansevenant (100, 24) and Antonio Morgado (80, 37). Gotland lands in 2nd place thanks to being one of the 6 teams to pick Juanpe Lopez (194 points), as well as Tiberi (127, 15), Vansevenant, and a few dozen each from other riders. Jakob747 rounds out the podium thanks to Vauquelin (132, 5), Johannessen (90, 7) and Tiberi.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1Googolplex(+14)
1postmanhat(+14)
3Gotland(+11)
4HoudiniCycling(+9)
4Nevs(+9)

The same winner here but there's a co-winner in postmanhat, who finished 6th in the Top Scorers ranking. Gotland slides from 2nd to 3rd here.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Jakob747180
2shalgo164
3Shakes119
4Googolplex104
4repre104

There's a new leader here! After creeping up to shalgo only to fall back a bit, Jakob747's big week earns their team 30 points to move into first overall by 16 points. Googolplex's win vaults them into the top 5, while no other top teams overall score this week.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)shalgo6909
2(-)skidmark5935
3(+2)Squire5860
4(-1)adamski1015854
5(-1)Salvarani5819
6(+1)MADRAZO5687
7(+3)Jakob7475675
8(-2)repre5548
9(-1)EvansIsTheBest5513
10(+2)trackstand5460

Team shalgo won't be crying too hard over being oustered in the Green Jersey ranking, as their team continued to extend their lead in the overall, finishing 16th on the week vs team skidmark's 34th. Team skidmark is now the only team within 1000 points of the lead, and just barely; beyond that, things tighten below as Squire leaps onto the podium, and adamski101 and Salvarani are within 50 points of the podium. Lower down, trackstand moves into the top 10 with Lortnoc sliding out.

That's it for me for a bit - EvansIsTheBest will be taking over the weekly updates through the end of June. Best of luck everyone! I'll be watching races and engaging with the thread when I can.

spreadsheet link