• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Amy Pieters Update Thread

Yes, I know she's sadly not a pro anymore.
People have been posting updates about her situation various places around the forum, but I had started to think - and then Valanga expressed similar opinions - that Amy Pieters should have a dedicated thread.
So, here it is.

The most recent update is from a few days ago, and unfortunately it's not super uplifting news:

She's able to walk and cycle independently. Seems like physically she's doing pretty well all things considering

She can't speak, struggles with language comprehension, and suffers from short term memory loss

Reactions: Sandisfan
Amy Pieters - or her representative - is suing SD Worx.

Seems that it's based on the legal technicality that cause she was on her 3rd contract it should be a permanent contract as per Dutch law. Pretty sure SD Worx paid out her contract until 2023 in full.

Seems to me like the sort of case where both employer and employee lose and where the legalese and insurance people make all the money

Amy Pieters - or her representative - is suing SD Worx.

Seems that it's based on the legal technicality that cause she was on her 3rd contract it should be a permanent contract as per Dutch law. Pretty sure SD Worx paid out her contract until 2023 in full.

Seems to me like the sort of case where both employer and employee lose and where the legalese and insurance people make all the money
Probably just standard practice. In a lot of situations in order to get an insurance pay-out you have to sue someone. Back when I was young, there was a man who lost his leg in a freak accident with some orchard-machinery. He was the brother or son or something along the lines of the dude owning the business, but because of how insurance-companies work he had to sue his brother or dad in court, and only if he won and they lost insurance companies would pay-out.

Edit: reminds me of an American story of a woman having to sue her nephew because she broke her arm tripping over his skateboard. Insurance wouldn't pay out unless she sued him.

I feel bad for Amy, cause this one also hits close to home. There's a dude I play Pokémon Go with who had a same type of accident, we used to race together in Junior's and it's just so sad to see this now young adolescent be reduced to a shadow of his former self. He used to be in the class above me and score well in the 90s at school, then he crashed, hurt his head despite of his helmet and now I see him struggling to light a cigarette and he works for the city council removing weeds. In a way, he has more of a life than Amy, but I never had the balls to actually ask if he realises what he no longer can do.