• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Article: WSJ - reopened!

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Bicicleta said:
He also rode for Postal in 2004.

yeh, sorry, i tend to just lump in postal, disco in one clump.. we need a word for it.. posco?

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Wasn't Pat McCarty one of the guys who was going to be on Floyd's team for AToC when they were denied entry to the race?

Also, didn't Tony Cruz, Michael Creed, and Tyler Hamilton all ride on some form of the LA/JB teams AND Rock Racing? I was trying to remember everybody who had that connection when the news came out about Michael Ball's house being searched in connection with this investigation.

There are a lot of guys who could've talked, in addition to the two who are at the TdF this year.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I really doubt that Berry can add much to the discussion. He was always on the outside, not the inside.

Tyler, George, Levi and Floyd are/were part of the "In" crowd...... VDV, Z, Berry,McCarty, Cruz, would most likely just add background

Of course there are also the guys from the early days, Jemison, JV, Frankie, who were around before Armstrong got careful and still bragged about being PRO.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
Wasn't Pat McCarty one of the guys who was going to be on Floyd's team for AToC when they were denied entry to the race?

Also, didn't Tony Cruz, Michael Creed, and Tyler Hamilton all ride on some form of the LA/JB teams AND Rock Racing? I was trying to remember everybody who had that connection when the news came out about Michael Ball's house being searched in connection with this investigation.

There are a lot of guys who could've talked, in addition to the two who are at the TdF this year.

I am throwing my guess at the DZ, GH, JV names at this point. I would also guess that riders ALL American riders on the list from USPS from 1999 to 2004 would probably have been contacted, or will be.

Those Americans who are taking the start Sunday would be DZ, CVV, LL, GH, and only CVV was not directly named in the Landis confessional.

So, at least two of DZ, LL and GH made the NYT story, and were "honest" in answering questions. To me, that means they sang like canaries, else they would not have mentioned the bit about not being names lest they be targeted for reprisals. Although, it is not hard to figure.

The next 5 days will be very, very entertaining. Oh, and also there is a big race about to kick off.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:

McCarty went from Postal, Discovery, Phonak, Slipstream, and finally to Ouch. Then he got cut loose, and is basically riding independent this year (sponsored by a local bike shop).

Never seemed like he was on the "inside" during the Postal/Disco days. He was never on the GT teams.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
One thing that sticks out to me after reading the article again is where they assert that an attempt could be made to tie money provided by USPS to purchases of doping products. I think that is a bit off. To me, it does not matter where the money came from, simply that the existence and persistent intentional use of an organized, internal doping programme would constitute a breech of any and all sponsor agreements, thus constituting fraudulent representation (bad faith dealings).

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Juliet Macur, one of the authors of the NY Times article tweeted this evening:

If you believe this, I have a bridge to sell you: RT @lancearmstrong This will be my final Tour de France. It's been a great ride. #cycling
about 2 hours ago via web

Meaning what? He won't ride this Tour? Or that he will continue to be involved with future Tours?

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Kennf1 said:
McCarty went from Postal, Discovery, Phonak, Slipstream, and finally to Ouch. Then he got cut loose, and is basically riding independent this year (sponsored by a local bike shop).

Never seemed like he was on the "inside" during the Postal/Disco days. He was never on the GT teams.

So McCarty was one of the guys on Floyd's proposed team for AToC. The organizers thought a team of Landis, McCarty, Cesar Grajales, and Nathan O'Neill wasn't strong enough to ride the race. :rolleyes: Same excuse the Vuelta organizers gave to Johan just recently.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:

Meaning what? He won't ride this Tour? Or that he will continue to be involved with future Tours?

I think she just means she doesn't believe this is really his last one.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
yeh, sorry, i tend to just lump in postal, disco in one clump.. we need a word for it.. posco?

Beech and TeamSkyFans, she may be referring to any purported salacious or post-doital dimension of the story.

If they have a "granny"(-gear) tour, Lance will definitely be there, doing them, PEDaling at high RPM, if we are to believe the earlier parts of this thread.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
What are people expecting to be announced/reported here? That article seems to be just stuff we already knew.

Nobody has mentioned one of the central points of the article which is that this thing is going to drag on until 2016.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
What are people expecting to be announced/reported here? That article seems to be just stuff we already knew.

Yes and no. We didn't know (at least I didn't) that two riders implicated by Landis have met with Novitsky.
Besides, this isn't "the article" that has been rumored. That one is expected to come from the WSJ sometime this week.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:
Nobody has mentioned one of the central points of the article which is that this thing is going to drag on until 2016.

I don't consider it a "Central" point, and David Howman, from WADA, is just offering a "maybe" in reference to the s l o w n e s s of the Balco case.

To my ears, the key players have folded. Let's watch and see how unusually quickly this could ramp up.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:

From my view, this is just lathering noise filling the current void. If it were a pint, it would be all head, nothing to drink.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
One thing that sticks out to me after reading the article again is where they assert that an attempt could be made to tie money provided by USPS to purchases of doping products. I think that is a bit off. To me, it does not matter where the money came from, simply that the existence and persistent intentional use of an organized, internal doping programme would constitute a breech of any and all sponsor agreements, thus constituting fraudulent representation (bad faith dealings).

That would be a good shot and one that may spread to individual endorsement agreements, etc.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
I don't consider it a "Central" point, and David Howman, from WADA, is just offering a "maybe" in reference to the s l o w n e s s of the Balco case.

To my ears, the key players have folded. Let's watch and see how unusually quickly this could ramp up.

True, I should not have said "central point" when I really meant, "I was disappointed to read that this could take until 2016 when I really want to know before the of the year if LA will have a tearful apology to his millions of fans on Jay Leno":eek:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Okay, folks, let's all take a deep breath....and not pull any Tom Tom moments here....

Richard Simmons, Tom C.?

15wi9mc.gif

Think Kramer, aka Bob Roll, could've / would've been the conduit, or the main source spilling the beans.

2zfmq9u.gif

yah right that oprah thing is so fake

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:
True, I should not have said "central point" when I really meant, "I was disappointed to read that this could take until 2016 when I really want to know before the of the year if LA will have a tearful apology to his millions of fans on Jay Leno":eek:

No worries.

What IS interesting is this thread has ZERO posts from those stating:

Where is this "article"?

This will all blow over. It already has! See!

Nothing to see here.

Where are those blokes now?

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:

I think I saw a post a month ago that discussed this...

Cal_Joe said:
... In case anyone thinks there will be a speedy resolution to this, remember that the BALCO investigation started in June 2003.

Seven years ago. There are still legal proceedings ongoing and unresolved at this time (Barry Bonds for example - it has been two and a half years since he was indicted on counts of perjury and obstruction of justice)....

Damn. now I'm quoting my own posts, just like that guy on "vacation".

Kennf1 said:
Yes and no. We didn't know (at least I didn't) that two riders implicated by Landis have met with Novitsky.
Besides, this isn't "the article" that has been rumored. That one is expected to come from the WSJ sometime this week.

Ah I see. I thought we knew that that was going on anyway. Can't really see what the article is gonna reveal. Are the feds big on giving away details of their investigations usually?

A

Anonymous

Beech Mtn said:

Pual Ratts popped up and said this is lances last tour as a "rider"

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
From my view, this is just lathering noise filling the current void. If it were a pint, it would be all head, nothing to drink.

You need to find a new pub. Or at least find one that has staff that can recognize the sound of the Guinness keg just before it expires.

All pub stuff aside, have to agree that the article is a bit fluff, but some news organisations these days will go with style over substance.