• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The battles we never got to see

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Vino attacks everyone said:
would be interesting to see Pantani (in his prime ofc) vs an Contador in top form up alpe d`huez

I think Pantani up Alpe is the absolute pinnacle of cycling and wont be beaten.

But a better place for such a duel to take place would be the 2011 Giro of course.

Mambo95 said:
I'd like to see the Schlecks have a massive falling out and take their feud into races. But that's never going to happen.

Frank Schleck would overnight become the most popular rider on CN forums.

Some would say Andy might even win the Tour this way.

ElChingon said:
The 1998 Festina Team vs the rest of the teams at le Tour!

Panda Claws said:
Gilbert vs Evans vs Valverde in the Ardennes 2011

Good ideas.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I think Pantani up Alpe is the absolute pinnacle of cycling and wont be beaten.

But a better place for such a duel to take place would be the 2011 Giro of course.
i agree.
pantani attacked at the bottom - who does that now?

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
scullster46 said:
Armstrong not falling in 2010 so he would still be in contention and he could get properly embarassed on la madeleine by Contador and Schleck

Went to France to follow the race in 2010 hoping to see Alberto beat, embarrass Lance on a MTF. Never materialized. Would have been real sweet as was traveling with bunch of Lance fans.

As someone else stated, an at their best sprint between Cipo, Ale Jet & Cav, just add no lead outs.

Also as commented before all the GC contenders who crashed in 2011 vs Evans.

Sorry lacking original thought, brain has misfiled the TDF from 1999 to 2005.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Walkman said:
Are you sure? I was ceratin it was on the Alpe, but I guess I was wrong then.

Yep 100% sure. Menchov attacked and had a gap on Prato Nevoso, then slipped off on a greasy corner. On the Alpe, Sastre attacked at the bottom, Menchov went with him, but Sastre's 2nd acceleration caused Menchov to blow big time and it was a good few kms before Menchov got back to the favourites group (marshalled by the Schlecks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl4eCCa1pJQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoRcmCTKDMs&feature=related

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Surprised no one has said these two:

LeMond vs. Roche in 1987
LeMond vs. Delgado in 1988

Agree on Pantani-LA in 1999, also 2000.

Good ones. That '87 Tour had a first long TT that was @ 2 hours must have been over 70K. If ever a course was made for Lemond or Roche for that matter that was it.

will10 said:
Yep 100% sure. Menchov attacked and had a gap on Prato Nevoso, then slipped off on a greasy corner. On the Alpe, Sastre attacked at the bottom, Menchov went with him, but Sastre's 2nd acceleration caused Menchov to blow big time and it was a good few kms before Menchov got back to the favourites group (marshalled by the Schlecks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl4eCCa1pJQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoRcmCTKDMs&feature=related

Man, Sastre was truly ripping it during that stage! You don't happend to remember his time up Alpe?

Nick C. said:
Good ones. That '87 Tour had a first long TT that was @ 2 hours must have been over 70K. If ever a course was made for Lemond or Roche for that matter that was it.

Almost 90k. That was the one stage Roche won. I was then impressed by Delgado (9th or 10th) and Millar (11th) who lost less than 3 minutes (pretty good for "climbers"). Shame that Bob went downhill after the Pyrenees. Delgado's time trialling seemed to step up a gear the year after though. The course was long, almost 4 weeks, starting in Berlin and pretty mountainous too (especially in the Alps).

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Tour de France:

1947: Robic vs Bartali (Italians were not invited)
1958: Gaul vs Geminiani if Gem was on the French National team, rather than a regional team
1965: Poulidor vs Gimondi vs Anquetil
1968: Van Springel, Janssen and others vs Poulidor (had he not crashed out)
1973: Merckx vs Ocana
1977: Thevenet vs Pollentier (winner of Giro & Tour de Suisse that year)
1980: Zootemelk vs Hinault
1999: Zulle vs Armstrong without the time gain from Passage du Gois

TRENDING THREADS