• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Bertagnolli affidavit

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Thanks! Was waiting for someone to translate this. To me it seemed like Liquigas riders had the blessing of Amadio to work with Ferrari.

Weird how much they discuss Pellizotti/Valjavec/Contador cases too.

That Pozzovivio line is great, Bertagnolli thinks he's charging big time and Ferrari shuts him down.

What does he mean about the Mapei tests? They don't detect doping (or does he mean physiological tests?).

what do you mean? :confused: ferrari's response to bertagnolli talking about puzzo as a sucky climber is:

ferrari: he's 50 kg *laughs*

bertagnolli: he didn't fly as much before and he's way more muscled

ferrari: they say they use lots of aicar there

(appearantly aicar makes you more muscled and can be detected)

ferrari is a fraud but he still seems to know it all about doping and riders.

how is that shutting him down?? :confused:

Ryo Hazuki said:
what do you mean? :confused: ferrari's response to bertagnolli talking about puzzo as a sucky climber is:

from Sylvester's translation i read it more as "he weights 50 kilos, ofc he will hurt people on climbs"

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Interesting.

"He [Ferrari] advised me how to do the transfusions, saying to take out the blood before going to altitude and then putting it back after altitude, so to better justify the changes in haematocrit and reticolytes, etc."

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Pancreas said:
First time the name of Kreuziger pops up, also in Bileka's testimony (also LL Sanchez there for working with Ferrari)

it makes me sick to my stomach thinking how either increidbly stupid or hypocrite he is, considering his comments about rujano during last years giro. I think he might be clean though since he also sucks so hard

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
So Ferrari's expertise has now been revealed.

It does make one wonder, though, why so many cyclists clustered around Ferrari. Wouldn't there be tons of other docs with roughly the same expertise?

I happen to have looked at the CVs of Garmin's (former and current) doctors, and I tell you that looks impressive. I doubt there is anything Ferrari was capable of doing that they aren't capable of doing. But I might be wrong, or underestimating Ferrari.
Anyway, would a well-sponsored team like Sky really need Ferrari?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
from Sylvester's translation i read it more as "he weights 50 kilos, ofc he will hurt people on climbs"

could eb just bad on my part. I always foudn him suspicous already from u23, he rode with gs zalf and that team was definitely doped

sniper said:
So Ferrari's expertise has now been revealed.

It does make one wonder, though, why so many cyclists clustered around Ferrari. Wouldn't there be tons of other docs with roughly the same expertise?

I happen to have looked at the CVs of Garmin's (former and current) doctors, and I tell you that looks impressive. I doubt there is anything Ferrari was capable of doing that they aren't capable of doing. But I might be wrong, or underestimating Ferrari.
Anyway, would a well-sponsored team like Sky really need Ferrari?

Reputation counts for a lot. I also suspect his real skill is in working out how to avoid detection.

Ryo Hazuki said:

where is this particular part of the document? I haven't read it all and I missed this. If you point that out I could give you my interpretation (tho by these kind of documents sarcasm can't be properly detected)

Ryo: your translation is more or less correct, it's Bertagnolli who says Pozzovivo is flying, Ferrari answers "that's because he weighs 50 kg", Bertagnolli says "I've never seen him doing this before, he's all muscles", then they start to talk about AICAR. Actually, Ferrari can't confirm or deny Pozzovivo's using AICAR. Ferrari doesn't give the product to his clients (because AICAR is for "suicidal fools") and Pozzovivo is not one of Ferrari's clients. But Ferrari seems to know "lì in giro" AICAR is used a lot, which means "there's quite some AICAR in circulation". Not necessarily "Pozzovivo is doping", but "there's a good chance Pozzovivo is taking AICAR too". Nothing more, nothing less.

I'd say Bertagnolli's affidavit is much more damning for Bole, Kreuziger and Spilak, actually.

Eshnar: page 9.

Sylvester said:
Eshnar: page 9.
thanks.
Yes Ferrari's statement is completely neutral to my view. That whole part is very foggy either. Bertagnolli says that "Pozzovivo fa schifo in salita" that can be interpreted in a bunch of ways from "he sucks on climbs" to "he's disgustingly strong on climbs" :D Probably listening to his speech the meaning was obvious, but on a paper is far less understandable.

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Translated with google translate.

Bertagnolli: all doping of Ferrari in the report of the investigation of Padova.

Source : http://capodacqua.blogautore.repubb...-ferrari-nel-verbale-dellinchiesta-di-padova/

Just chilling. The minutes of the interrogation of Leonardo Bertagnolli, heard by the prosecutor Roberti in May 2011 as part of the investigation of Padua Michele Ferrari, who is ending, and that refers to the events of 2006-2010, reveals once more as the doping is still a plague in mind in the world of two-wheeled pedal. Publish it in the original version at the bottom of these few notes. The former Liquigas and Lampre rider has at least the merit of being sincere. He did not mince words. It names. Recounts the circumstances and manner of doping.Emerge the figure of a doctor, Ferrari, who, it says Bertagnolli, not providing vials unidentified, suggests disturbing doping practices: endovene, injections on the shoulder, made from blood samples and stored only staff in the fridge. A sample thrill even the most cynical of spectators. Involving colleagues, managers and doctors. The gravity of particular mention of the fact that he had asked and obtained permission to use the "service", Ferrari's executives and the doctor of Liquigas in the years when he played with that formation. I like not only knew, but even, according Bertagnolli, gave their approval. A very serious matter as long as it says will not change men, these men, hardly cycling can change something. Although not without some positive signs. How serious is the fact that from that date the rider was able to compete until last summer without anyone stop him. At least until he was nailed by bogus values ​​of the biological passport. Cones to say they were not informed of Padua, who, however, has only recently provided the cards all'Usada survey, the American anti-doping agency. Unequal treatment all to understand. Pure broken every emotion is still astonished divanti the carousel of vials, substances, specialty, infusion, injection, blood samples made by the same athlete on itself, a fridge and dangerous practices of conservation of doctors who advise and direct sena any hesitation (there's only Ferrari but also Manelli which would already be in the crosshairs of anti-doping prosecutor for other events). A framework that is still about a largely cycling compromise, far from the world of "heroes" and faticatori smuggled by many media. Here is the text of the interrogation :

The Bertagnolli Affidavit Translated With Google Translate :

N. 6989/10 RGNR
PUBLIC PROSECUTOR'S OFFICE
at the tribunate of Padua
MINUTES OF INTERROGATION
IN PERSON SUBJECT TO INVESTIGATION
- Art. 64, et seq., 21 D.Lv. 271/89-
L ~ the year 2011, the 18th day of the month of May, aile 11.45 in Padua, via N. Tommaseo n. 55, at the Palace of Justice, fourth floor, room Nr.21, before the Public Prosecutor Dr. Benedict ROBERTI, Deputy Prosecutor of the Republic, assisted Ia preparation of this report by Brig Lambranzi Louis Company GDF Padua appeared Bertagnolli Leonardo, who was invited to declare their `and everything else worth it to be identified with the` warning of the criminal consequences aile which exposes those who refuse to give or to false, he replied:
My name is Leonardo Bertagnolli born in Trento on 08/01/78; registered residence: in Russian (Ra) Via Benedetti n 23; tabernacle as above; alias / nick: No; nationalities: Italian, marital status: married; qualification diploma of surveyor; profession / occupation: professional cyclist with Lampre lsd assets: it, if it is subjected to other criminal cases: no, if he has been convicted in the State and / or abroad: no, if you are or have been exercised offices or public services or public needs: no, if holds or has held public office: no; Invited to exercise Ia right to appoint a defense lawyer for ilcaso that I have not already done or intends to appoint another said: I confirm appointment of `aw. Grindatto Elizabeth hole Ravenna revoking any other designations;
It is noted that as a result of this ritual warning and as an advocate of the person under investigation aile: l `lawyer. Grindatto Elizabeth hole Ravenna; Jnvitato to state or domicile of a grandmother `art. 161 paragraphs 1 and 2 Cpp with notice that must communicate any change of residence or declared elected for the notification and that in case of absence of such notification, to refuse to testify or to elect domicile notifications will be made by delivery to the defender says : defender at Faenza in Piazza della Liberta n 5, II Prosecutor Dr. Benedict ROBERTI denies all `investigated the following offenses:
Articles 9 c 1 c 2 c 3 letter. c) Iaw 376/2000 as regards the recruitment and Ia subjection to prohibited practices: blood transfusion, taking erythropoietin, testosterone, growth hormone. And in competition with Michele Ferrari. In various local ita Italian to tutt is today.
It is noted that the `investigation occurs spontaneously to report about the allegations against him. Invited him to exhibit what is useful to have his defense with warning:> What has right to remain silent and that, even if does not respond, the process will follow its course. (Article 64, paragraph 3 of letter. Bcpp)
> Which, if you do not wish to make use of the right not to answer his statements could be used against him (Article 64 paragraph 3 of letter. A CPP)
> That, in relation to statements made on the responsibility of others, will assume the office `ditestimone, resulting obligation, criminal penalties, to tell the truth, except for the incompatibilities in the admission art. 197 CPP and the guarantees provided for in art. 197 CPP (Article 64, paragraph
3rd letter. C CPP)
The same says: I intend to respond.
ADR: I started as an amateur in 2000 with Bruno Leali. In 2001 I switched to Team San Pellegrino According to Volpi and 2002 are professional for the past three years with the Saeco when they ran Simoni, Di Luca and Celestino. Then, in 2005 I was hired by Cofidis in 2007 and 2008 I was the Liquigas when you ran Pellizzotti, Pozzato, Nibali and Di Luca. In 2009 I went to `Amica Chips Simone Mori (bankrupt in mid 2009) and then in May 2009 I went to Toys` Androni Gianni Savio. From the beginning of 2011 I moved alia Lampre Isd.
ADR. I met Michele Ferrari in the early years of professionalism when I rode the Saeco. I do not remember who it was but someone rni gave the number of the doctor's house with whom I made an appointment to do one test at his home in Ferrara, in 2002, but I do not exactly remember the year. This time he did not say anything about drugs to take and even gave me prohibited practices. On that occasion he said that he could not follow me and I did not go over until the end of 2006. I'm back from Ferrari at the end of 2006 having had a contract with Liquigas Ia for the following year,.

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The Bertagnolli Affidavit Continued

http://capodacqua.blogautore.repubb...-ferrari-nel-verbale-dellinchiesta-di-padova/

ADR. I suffer from thyroid problems since 1997, when I was a kid and I was amateur cyclist (I was the maturity). ADR. At the end of 2006 as suffering from thyroid thought of retum by dr. Ferrari to solve the problems that resulted from the dysfunction of the thyroid. I asked around the personate of Liquigas (Amadio, Corsets) to be able to attend Ferrari to cure my problems and no one objected to my decision. I telephoned all users `fixed his home in Ferrara and took appointment. At the first appointment I expressed my physical problems to Ferrari and asked if I could follow. Ferrari told me that since he knew that I was running with Ia `Liquigas there were no problems to follow. In that situation he told me that the preparer needs to know `l` athlete and adjust the shot `. It was a clear view and I immediately understood the meaning. I represent that I periodically since then I went from Ferrari in 2007, also because I `endorsement by Liquigas. In that the meeting with Ferrari we agreed the fee of € 12 000 annual for its performance to be paid in installments, the installments that I paid only in part for about € 3000 (can not remember exactly) in as much in March I had a problem of a viral heart remained inactive until July 2007. Represent, however, that from the beginning of 2007 I appeared in Monzuno to make test taking contact with his Swiss number that Ferrari gave me at our first meeting at the end of 2006. Net camper where we were to test the Ferrari had also haemoglobinometer `to` controls of hemoglobin. Still in the test made ​​me even after controlling Entries hemoglobin. In
occasion of the tests I did the training tables, I measured the weight and made ​​assessments of the state of my health. ADR. When he came to allenarrni after heart failure, in July 2007, I went to St. Moritz by Ferrari along with Bertolini, the grandson cyclist Francesco Moser, Gasparotto, Pellizzotti, beans and many others from other teams ~ many of these came from Livigno. I represent that in 2006 I was in Livigno to train on behalf of me and I saw Ferrari with a large group of cyclists including Vinokurov. In `occasion in July 2007, after the illness, I went as stated in St. Moritz and Ferrari spoke of assumption of erythropoietin. Ferrari told me to do it in small
dose, 1000 IU intravenous Giomo - said `with 1000alzi and keep 500` - I stayed in St. Moritz days: 10 and 10 days: erythropoietin as indicatomi hired by Ferrari, I acted as the Ferrari consigliatomi taking Eprex and stopping the recruitment two or three days before the race as he recommended me. I do not remember exactly how many days: I assumed the `erythropoietin, certainly not less than 7. I will surely have seen Ferrari even before going to St. Moritz and I definitely will recommend the recruitment of Epo that I previously I obtained through a former amateur Brescia called Manuel Bresciani I met alia San Pellegrino in 2001. I started taking the `erythropoietin on the advice of Filippo Manelli since 2003 that pointed out to me to take it subcutaneously in the ventral area, for a period smettendone the recruitment a week before the race. Ferrari do not get me started on all `erythropoietin, just showed me a different way to take it than Manelli, so when I went to Ferrari already know the substance, I knew it was forbidden, and I knew the effects remember that in fact my hematocrit had and still has changes also in the proportion of 4/5 points; endocrinologists that I felt I was told that the `effect of these changes would be due from thyroid dysfunction, so that even at this time, when I'm not assuming anything, I still have changes in hematocrit.
ADR. Unlike Filippo Manelli Michele Ferrari I'll explain the mode of recruitment of Epo `not to be found positive. While Marinelli told me to take it in the ventral sottocutaneaa and advised me to discontinue the use of `a week before the race, Michele Ferrari with his methodical Entries recruitment intravenous calibrated unit gave me the opportunity to discontinue the` use also two / three days before the race benefiting from a longer period of effect.
ADR. In 2007 I won in San Sebastian and other minor races and placed once.
ADR. Then I assume that I still went to Ferrari since he lives near my house. Ricardo once, in 2007, saw Ferrari Popovych and Bileka. I represent that all `interior of the Liquigas team talking between us I knew Pellizzotti ranged from Ferrari Monzuno. I know that many of my colleagues went to Ferrari Liquigas because it was spoken between us and Ia same company was aware: Pellizzotti, Kreutziger, Gasparotto, beans. A to test with Ferrari with me, on a few occasions I have seen Pellizzotti, Gasparotto and Possoni. In the camper, term test, entered one at a time and the exams were personal Ia without the presence of other colleagues.
ADR. Trail 2007 and 2008 switch to talking about other things. Released in 2007 and I `requirement of availability protocol (Adams) and then you were likely to be found positive to` epo Ferrari and then the doctor advised me to do the autoemotrasfusione `, the` inside out `mentioned in the` off Environmental 27.08.2010. Before the tips Ferrari have not done Ia RNAi blood transfusion. I do not remember where Ia Ferrari for the first time, I explained how the `toemotrasfusione me, I remember that I explained the modalities of the whole practice saying to take the bags favoring veterinary channels - the first taken from the Manuel Bresciani - he pointed to take 350 to 500 cc depending on the timing of the recovery and objectives; told me to tie a knot in the bag and weigh it on the scale to find the weight and therefore the amount subsequently withdrawn, before inserting the needle told me to tie a knot on the tube after you start the collection; come to the right tube is blocked with the quantitative Ia clips and close the knot - I was working two or three because they were afraid that it infects, once filled bag Ia provvedevo to store it in a refrigerator brand Liehberr (a mini hospital) at a controlled temperature between +2 ° and +4 °; Ferrari was to tell the type of refrigerator to buy handing me a brochure, I have personally taken steps to locate a dealer buying then l ` appliance in the province of Ravenna. Ferrari was also to tell the termperatura for storage of blood.
ADR. Ferrari I would also suggest the mode of when to make the `blood transfusion saying to draw blood before going to the hill and re-enter after supposed hill this to better justify the displacement parameters: hematocrit, reticulocytes, etc..
ADR. Before this I had never made contact with Ferrari `s blood transfusion, it was he who indicarrni the mode as mentioned above and I Ia first time I was afraid to do it.
ADR. `I started the practice in 2008 and made her one once in the summer because in that period Ia Liquigas forbade me to go to Ferrari changing attitude towards acquaintances previously tolerated.
ADR. The first time I prelevai the blood and put it back with me to the method indicated by `Ferrari was in August of 2008 for the races that month. I re-entered the blood after 20 days: within the sample. Ferrari was telling me that the blood was re-injected after 20 days: and after the period at altitude.
ADR. In 2009 I made a bag before the Giro del Trentino, and in that year I won a stage in the Tour of Italy. I made a couple of bags in the summer of 2009 in the races for the last one of the season. In 2010 I made the first bag Ia before Trittico Lombardo, the second before the Grand Prix hate Camaiore (based on the eavesdropping of 27.08.2010) and the third before the Giro di Lombardia.
ADR. I saw Michele Ferrari at the end of season 201 0. Knowing the search to Popovych told me to throw it all away because there `was a risk of investigation. `The last time I` ve seen Ferrari advised me, in altemative aile bags traditional bags to use PP (polypropylene) that are found in blood centers with difficulty, or to transfer the blood drip into a glass previously emptied. I remember that in that interview in November 201 0 the ribadii that it seemed extremely dangerous for possible contamination of the blood and the risk of embolism.
ADR. Ferrari was telling me the first time that the bags could be found with ease through the veterinary channel because there are no checks and the product was the same.
ADR. Filippo Manelli I would recommend the recruitment of GH and in particular the Geref that I have taken a few times to incompatibility with thyroid problems. Manelli knew of my thyroid problems and when I went from between 2003 and 2006 in spite of this I would recommend the use of `GH (can not remember the specialty) and other hormones. I took only a few times because the hormones consigliatimi by Manelli incompatible with my condition; Manelli was to advise the drugs in his private study Gavardo. Manelli did pay both Je visits and medications.
ADR. I started taking the Testis of Guna from August 2010 on the advice of Michele Ferrari. I hired him as he told me, `half a vial on the shoulder. In the camper Ferrari gave me a vial sometimes anonymous substance of which I pointed out the quality guaranteeing me on the shoulder and told me it was not doping that does not hurt. He never revealed what had made the above vial that I paid € 80 in cash.
ADR. In 2010 I paid Ferrari about 3000 € in cash, and in 2009 the `I paid little because I was running with` Amica Chips Simone Mori that has failed and he has not paid salaries.
I have nothing to add.
The Office for features that this report be declassified and requires parties to respect confidentiality. II report is closed aile 14.30 odieme and the same is an integral part of the write-off interception referred to in this act.

* riders who want to dope can't go to Teide anymore because the place is "bruciata" - monitored and known by the antidoping authorities

Interesting that he says that Teide is off limits now - wonder if that just applies to Ferrari or to everyone.

So where does this leave hundreds of pages about Tenerife in the Sky threads? Seems strange that Dear Wiggo et al hasn't picked this up yet. . .

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
RownhamHill said:
So where does this leave hundreds of pages about Tenerife in the Sky threads? Seems strange that Dear Wiggo et al hasn't picked this up yet. . .

On the other hand it confirms the reason riders did go to Teide in the first place, ymmv.

Sylvester said:
Ryo: your translation is more or less correct, it's Bertagnolli who says Pozzovivo is flying, Ferrari answers "that's because he weighs 50 kg", Bertagnolli says "I've never seen him doing this before, he's all muscles", then they start to talk about AICAR. Actually, Ferrari can't confirm or deny Pozzovivo's using AICAR. Ferrari doesn't give the product to his clients (because AICAR is for "suicidal fools") and Pozzovivo is not one of Ferrari's clients. But Ferrari seems to know "lì in giro" AICAR is used a lot, which means "there's quite some AICAR in circulation". Not necessarily "Pozzovivo is doping", but "there's a good chance Pozzovivo is taking AICAR too". Nothing more, nothing less.

I'd say Bertagnolli's affidavit is much more damning for Bole, Kreuziger and Spilak, actually.

Heh, Vacansoleil signed another obvious doper in Grega Bole. I somehow missed that.

Man, you can't help but love that team. :p

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Heh, Vacansoleil signed another obvious doper in Grega Bole. I somehow missed that.

Man, you can't help but love that team. :p
I didn't think the affidavit was very damning for Bole. Bertagnolli said he "thought" Bole could be a source, right?

That said, when you look at Bole's abysmal season (last one was poor, too), you might suspect he was tipped off and scared off the program.

hrotha said:
I didn't think the affidavit was very damning for Bole. Bertagnolli said he "thought" Bole could be a source, right?

That said, when you look at Bole's abysmal season (last one was poor, too), you might suspect he was tipped off and scared off the program.

Seems to me that he had the clear intention to sell. I'm only going by what I think are translations of the original text, but from what I've read, Bole told him about it and how it was "available" in Slovenia.

Gotta love that Vacansoleil is "investigating" him, though. Heh.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Arnout said:
Actually the manager of Vacansoleil is so far the only one asking for an investigation in the blood passport as Armstrong seems to have beaten it in 2009-10.

Armstrong didn't beat it! His values were not made available to the biopassport experts to examine. When Ashenden did he see it he said it showed blood doping.

UCI buried it as per their norm.

hrotha said:

Lampre as a whole had an abysmal season. They knew what was coming.

TRENDING THREADS