• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Best Educated, Most Steadfast Cheerleaders

David Walsh, in the USPS years:
"If we don't stand up for the guy playing by the rules who is being screwed for playing by the rules we shouldn't exist, as it is our only true purpose. By and large, the American journalists who covered this year's Tour have been the best educated, most steadfast cheerleaders who ever set foot from one country to another."

Who are today's most steadfast cheerleaders?

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Bronstein said:
William Fotheringham and Matthew Syed.

Matthew Syed really is appalling. I don't think the man has ever had an original thought, and those that he 'borrows' from others he somehow still manages to mess up. But I guess as a former ping pong player he knows how to stroke the right balls.

Matthew Syed is full of Steve Peters-esque psuedoscience bollocks, so it's unsurprising he's a Sky fan.

fmk_RoI said:
David Walsh, in the USPS years:
"If we don't stand up for the guy playing by the rules who is being screwed for playing by the rules we shouldn't exist, as it is our only true purpose. By and large, the American journalists who covered this year's Tour have been the best educated, most steadfast cheerleaders who ever set foot from one country to another."

Who are today's most steadfast cheerleaders?

Very good, Walsh, at his best :rolleyes:

fmk_RoI said:
dolophonic said:
the Telegraph cycling podcast are pretty bogus.. everything is all good to them.

I'd put the Cycling Podcast as being more smug, more cliquey, than cheerleading. But I don't listen to it that often so could be missing the worst excesses.

If one's personal view is that doping is the only story in town then the Cycling Podcast probably isn't going to be for you but its not a subject that's ignored.

simoni said:
If one's personal view is that doping is the only story in town then the Cycling Podcast probably isn't going to be for you but its not a subject that's ignored.

Like I said, it's more the smugness/cliqueness of the cast's lil boys' club that bugs me. There's a time and a place for doping talk and I've done enough of it to know it's not all the time and everywhere.

I thought I was done posting in here for a while but reading Matthew Syed's articles over the last couple of days are just sickening. Bad enough the gushing praise over Froome whilst completely ignoring the elephant in the room and the question that most rational people are asking (whether you believe him to be clean or not). Now I know he works for Murdoch but his latest condescending pop at Ross Tucker (South African blogger) is embarrassing. Tucker is always extremely rational in his commentary and rarely offensive so for him to have a pop just shows how brash and arrogant the support network around the sky PR machine have become. They must believe that the story is infallible to hit back in the manner they have in the last few days. It is noticeable that little of this aggressive commentary was made while they were still in France but rather when they are back on UK home soil. To answer the thread question though, Matthew Syed.

TRENDING THREADS