• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Better Overall Rider: Evans or Contador

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Better overall rider

• Alberto Contador

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
-I'd say they're moderately close in one day races with Evans having the edge.
-Stage races, Contador has shown that he's far better.
-Since the only real time that sprinting may come into play when they are competing is likely on an uphill grade I'd give the edge to Evans.
-TT's I'd rate them as even or maybe give Evans a slight edge.
-Mental toughness Contador but Evans has improved immensely in this area.

In the end it's Contador.

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Judging Evans vs Contador on cobbles is irrelevant unless ASO decides to have a cobbled stage every year. Or they both show up in Roubaix.

Juding Evans vs Contador sprinting abilities on a flat piece of road is also irrelevant for the same reasons.

The only relevant areas to compare them are:

- Climbing: Contador is better
- Descending: Evans is better
- Recuperation: Contador is better
- Consistency over a season: Contador is better
- Time trial: Contador is better
- Hilly one day races: Evans is better
- Uphill sprints: Meh, not enough to go by... It's very close anyway.

Contador ends his season in July... I'd give consistency over a season to Evans.

And TT is pretty much equal.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Wigwan said:
Contador ends his season in July... I'd give consistency over a season to Evans.

And TT is pretty much equal.

Where was Evans in the Tour of 2009 and 2010?

Has Evans ever won anything of note after July? Besides his WC win that is.

Contador has 2 Vuelta titles by the way. Contador always performs well in every race he starts. Evans doesn't, though that doesn't mean he's Andy Schleck of course.

TT is pretty equal? Do I really need to post Contador's wins in the time trials versus those of Evans?

Anyway it's 7 GTs versus 1 GT and a WC.

cineteq said:
TdF 2011 Stage 20 Results
GER 1 MARTIN, Tony (HTC-HIGHROAD)
AUS 2 EVANS, Cadel (BMC RACING) +7
ESP 3 CONTADOR, Alberto (SAXO BANK) +1.06

If you take results since 2007, actually Contador is 13-6 against him

Btw, I think that TT from Contador is pretty amazing, considering that what happened in previous 2 days

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:
TdF 2011 Stage 20 Results
GER 1 MARTIN, Tony (HTC-HIGHROAD)
AUS 2 EVANS, Cadel (BMC RACING) +7
ESP 3 CONTADOR, Alberto (SAXO BANK) +1.06

I'm waiting for someone to post Annecy

Btw indeed cineteq. It's really impressive for Contador to perform so good on the last ITT after one of the toughest giro's ever. Especially since the ITT had not purpose anymore for him.

Come on man. I thought you were better at trolling

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
No he isn't :rolleyes:

I'm absolutely sure any 30+ k straight open for winds distance [iow, classic GT long TT] would be ridden faster by Evans, if all things being equal. Contador is stronger in prologues and short TT's. But as a result, it is Evans, surely if we give priority to GT time trials which we do I think due to their extreme importance. I see no reason to lay out statictics or something. We are all awared equally.

I'm discussing with to the core partial cycling fan.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I find it funny that the result in this poll is closer than between Boonen and Cancellara. The gap in palmares between Evans and Contador is enormous while the gap in palmares between Boonen and Cancellara is practically non-existent(and depends on which kind of races you prefer).

Contador has won many more time trials than Evans, that's what really matters. Hence why I called him better.

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
burning said:
If you take results since 2007, actually Contador is 13-6 against him

Btw, I think that TT from Contador is pretty amazing, considering that what happened in previous 2 days

Evans beat him in 2007 when yellow was on the line and in 2011 too (Contador went full gas that day).

El Pistolero said:
I find it funny that the result in this poll is closer than between Boonen and Cancellara. The gap in palmares between Evans and Contador is enormous while the gap in palmares between Boonen and Cancellara is practically non-existent(and depends on which kind of races you prefer).

Contador has won many more time trials than Evans, that's what really matters. Hence why I called him better.

You spend a lot of time complaining about the poll results for someone who "doesn't care" ;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
You spend a lot of time complaining about the poll results for someone who finished"doesn't care" ;)

Where am I complaining? I'm laughing my *** off at some of these polls. ;)

Can't wait for the Nibali vs Gesink thread and the Evans vs Valverde thread.

And well, all threads in the off-season are like these threads with polls lol.

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

Agreed - i would of thought this would almost be a no-contest in terms of who is the better of the two. However might just be a popularity thing. Love him or loathe him Contador is generally acknowledged as the best rider of his generation, whilst Evans is up there Contador is in a league of his own.

Tom375 said:
Agreed - i would of thought this would almost be a no-contest in terms of who is the better of the two. However might just be a popularity thing. Love him or loathe him Contador is generally acknowledged as the best rider of his generation, whilst Evans is up there Contador is in a league of his own.

Agreed Contador has a better record. But the results of the poll would be closer if not for Contador's more attractive climbing style and less polarising personality. People like the way Contador attacks in the mountains while Evan's is a steadier rider in the hills and that doesn't look so good on TV. He does not have the explosivity of AC. Evan's style is not because he lacks courage on the bike but because that is what he was born with. Leaving aside aesthetics, Evans was also born with enormous natural physiological capabilities plus proven ability to suffer which closes the gap to AC IMO.

I voted for Contador. 1 minute later i feel like a traitor.

Contador is evidently better at GT's and that is their main focus. Evans does have a better sprint, better at one day, seems better in the ITT (most of the time) and is evidently better on a MTB and the cobbles but Contador can climb superbly and is not that far behind in other areas, other than on a MTB.

If only Evans had started riding GT's earlier- then his palmares might have made this poll closer.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
I voted for Contador. 1 minute later i feel like a traitor.

Contador is evidently better at GT's and that is their main focus. Evans does have a better sprint, better at one day, seems better in the ITT (most of the time) and is evidently better on a MTB and the cobbles but Contador can climb superbly and is not that far behind in other areas, other than on a MTB.

If only Evans had started riding GT's earlier- then his palmares might have made this poll closer.

2003 – ONCE-Eroski
Tour de Pologne
1st, Stage 8 (ITT)

2005 – Liberty Seguros-Würth
Vuelta al País Vasco
3rd Overall classification
1st, Stage 5b (ITT)

2008 – Astana
Vuelta a Castilla y León
Winner overall classification
1st, Stage 1 (ITT)

Vuelta al País Vasco
1st Stage 6 (ITT)

2009 – Astana
Volta ao Algarve
1st, Stage 4 (ITT)

Paris–Nice
4th overall classification
1st, Stage 1 (ITT)

Vuelta al País Vasco
1st, Stage 6 (ITT)

1st Spanish National Time Trial Championships

Tour de France
1st, Stage 18 (ITT)

2010 – Astana
Vuelta a Castilla y León
1st, Stage 4 (ITT)

Critérium du Dauphiné
2nd, overall classification
1st, Prologue (ITT)

2011 - Saxobank
Vuelta a Murcia
1st, Stage 3 (ITT)

Vuelta a Castilla y León
1st, Stage 4 (ITT)

Giro d'Italia
1st, Stage 16 (ITT)

Evans is not better most of the time. And why would you even compare them on MTB? Road racing forum and neither of them are doing MTB anymore on a professional level... And like I said, any comparison on cobbles is idiotic. They only met on cobbles once and Contador got taken out by a clumsy crash before the real cobbles had started. Both Evans and Contador would get owned in Paris-Roubaix anyway.

Miburo said:
Btw indeed cineteq. It's really impressive for Contador to perform so good on the last ITT after one of the toughest giro's ever. Especially since the ITT had not purpose anymore for him.
Yet another apologist for 2011 Contador, playing the 'he was fatigued' card.

El Pistolero said:
This poll is not about who's been the better TTer, or have the best palmares. Oh wait...this is another Contador appreciation thread, in disguise. :rolleyes:

The poll is not who is the better Stage racer but who is the better overall rider. Evans has won one day and GTs. For this reason Evans wins this question. Evans won a Worlds in 2009 and a Classic in 2010 (FW). In FW, guess who he came past to win, yes AC! When was the last classic AC won?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Cookster15 said:
The poll is not who is the better Stage racer but who is the better overall rider. Evans has won one day and GTs. For this reason Evans wins this question. Evans won a Worlds in 2009 and a Classic in 2010 (FW). In FW, guess who he came past to win, yes AC! When was the last classic AC won?

Euh 3 months ago ;)

So If one guy wins 5 Gt's and no real big classic. And another guy wins 1 Gt and 1 time LBL, makes that him a better overall rider than the other one? :eek:

Yes people Andy Schleck is overall better than Contador :D

Oh and also Valverde. Valverde is cool though.

Vino is then also better, not really a surprise there I guess lol

TRENDING THREADS