• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Better Overall Rider: Evans or Contador

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Better overall rider

• Alberto Contador

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The Hitch said:
What would they do? He won the thing by 6 minutes and was always in control.

You are talking about some act of.violence that would have rendered him.incapable of completing the race?

So what have we learned? If brunyeel and Armstrong decided.to kill contador he probably wouldn't have won the tour that year.

Well done. Your contributions.continue to inspire

Airstream would've supported that

LaFlorecita said:
Airstream would've supported that
In my country this is call 'baiting'. :rolleyes:

airstream said:
Trolling is an exclusive patrimony of Contador fanboys who write using principle 'I see what I like and I don't what to know anything I dislike'. I'm just a peaceful outsider..
Yup, another thread hijacked by Alberto's fan boys and girls. You should keep this as your sig though. :)

airstream said:
By the result or by strength? in terms of the result, yes. By in terms of strength I don't think so. That was Purito's fail mostly. Contador rode by himself 15-20k alone and during all of them was losing to disorganized pursuit out of Valverde and Quintana.

Not just purito he held.off valverde and henao and riders.from.the break looking for.a stage. And put.minutes into.gesink and froome and everyone other than valverde and.purito.pretty.much ( purito still lost 2 minutes)

And what was Evans great show of strength. I know people get off on seeing mud but from a racing pov he followed cunego and vino for 15k and won a sprint. His main opponent for the stage - nibali, crashed with the entire liquigas team ( we are seeing quite a pattern of Evans achievements coming when opponents crashe - tdf, fw, cobbles)

And nibali still only finished about a minute behind and he was shown repeatedly to have to wait for basso.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I fail to see how it's irrelevant? Wiggins won in a year without Contador, Andy Schleck and Samuel Sanchez. His biggest threat was his own team-mate for crying out loud.

In the time trials, both Cancellara and Martin were constantly plagued by bad luck this season.

Wait.. so you are saying that Wiggins is no better than in 2009?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Wait.. so you are saying that Wiggins is no better than in 2009?

I say he would've also won the 2009 Tour if he had to face the same competition as in 2012.

He was fourth in 2009:

---> Armstrong wasn't there
---> Andy Schleck wasn't there
---> Alberto Contador wasn't there

====> Wiggins would've won in 2009 had he faced the same field as in 2012. I'm sorry but Wiggins has yet to proof himself against the biggest riders of the sport.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I'm sorry. There is no way in hell I can see Astana 2009 as a team that supported Alberto. Not with Lance and Hog.
Indeed they may not have supported Alberto, but they did help him indirectly or not..
El Pistolero said:
I say he would've also won the 2009 Tour if he had to face the same competition as in 2012.

He was fourth in 2009:

====> Wiggins would've won in 2009 had he faced the same field as in 2012. I'm sorry but Wiggins has yet to proof himself against the biggest riders of the sport.
That is not the question or the discussion though, however true or not true it may in fact be.

Though I am still confused as to whether you are saying that Wiggins has not improved since 2009..:confused: ;)
Looking at his time trialling is enough proof for me in that regard..

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
What would they do? He won the thing by 6 minutes and was always in control.

You are talking about some act of.violence that would have rendered him.incapable of completing the race?

So what have we learned? If brunyeel and Armstrong decided.to kill contador he probably wouldn't have won the tour that year.

Well done. Your contributions.continue to inspire

kicking away like rasmussen. do you think it is difficult to cook up a thingy of a certain sort for Contador? that is as easy as pie

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

He was fourth in 2009:

Omg, as high time to belittle Wiggins came, you found even Andy Schleck useful. ;) The fact they were not does not say directly that Wiggins is weaker. It is a very debatable question.

No matter how Fabian is great I think for many people it is obvious that his global peak is already over.

People should put up with the fact that new guys come. It is normal.

The Hitch said:
Not just purito he held.off valverde and henao and riders.from.the break looking for.a stage. And put.minutes into.gesink and froome and everyone other than valverde and.purito.pretty.much ( purito still lost 2 minutes)

And what was Evans great show of strength. I know people get off on seeing mud but from a racing pov he followed cunego and vino for 15k and won a sprint. His main opponent for the stage - nibali, crashed with the entire liquigas team ( we are seeing quite a pattern of Evans achievements coming when opponents crashe - tdf, fw, cobbles)

And nibali still only finished about a minute behind and he was shown repeatedly to have to wait for basso.

What are you talking about ? Evans and Vino did the majority of the work at Montalcino. Cunego and Arroyo were losing contact and rejoining or sitting at the back. More wheel sucking allegation about Evans ? At the finish two superior sprinters could not get past him because after leading out a long way from the finish, he was too strong. So Evans only benefits from other's misfortune ? What about his heavy fall in the 2008 Tour or his puncture in the 2009 Vuelta or breaking his elbow in the 2010 Tour and as for the 2011 Tour, he did what other's did not do. He continuously rode near the front with his team on narrow roads and wet conditions during the first week. As O'Grady said, all of the accidents were not caused by the conditons but my stupid riding. That's the fault of the dummies that ride near the back all the time or become isolated from their team. They neither have the brains or the bike handling skills of Evans. Too bad for Liquigas that Cancellara was not around at Montacino, he could have neutralised the stage for them.

My post was deleted on the Cancellara/Boonen thread right?
Censorship!

If it's because it was off-topic than I'm wondering why all these posts I was forced to read on Bore de France on threads where they do not belong have never been deleted. Like this one: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=708048&postcount=858 .

Besides, the post I was replying to has of course not been deleted ...

I'm wondering if we are still entitled to criticize Clentador on this forum. Yes I said the guy was a disgrace for the sport, since he's barely racing for 50 days a year (60 if you include criteriums) and comparing him to Evans in that respect is an insult, right? Evans is a full time cycling racer which links him with the cycling greats of the past, not a pretty damn joke like Clentador.

Of course, I quickly had his fangirl on my back, using the very famous pilpul method, which of course does not change the consistency of my reasoning. So it was quite fun.

But then, she was 'glad' my post was deleted because she is a real censor at heart.

Mellow Velo said:
CAS aside,

CAS matters ...

Mellow Velo said:
A better one day rider, but that's about it.

Yeah, and that's a mere detail of course. :rolleyes:

Mellow Velo said:
Hadn't realised the forum has nearly 20 Aussie members.

If you grant me the Aussie citizenship, I'd gladly accept it.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Evans is a guy who barely won a race before 2011. He only raced so much because he failed so much. None of his old team-mates like him in fact. Not a very inspiring leader. ;)

Besides, Evans has worked with some of the most shady characters in cycling. CAS does not matter. CAS doesn't even think Contador is guilty by the way, so it's funny to see you defending CAS.

using clinic created nicknames to talk about other riders isn't allowed on this forum, and so is being condescending to other posts because they aren't discussing some small race most never heard of.

i have forgiven you a couple of warnings on this in the past but another post with this kind of content will lead to a warning /ban.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
airstream said:
Hehe, believe if Bruyneel and Armstrong had wanted Contador not to win the Tour too much, he wouldn't have taken it. It could have been very ugly and grotesque surely, but after 2007 it wouldn't have surprised too many people. Yes, atmosphere inside of the team was not for him, but nothing more. In terms of a road work, he had an absolute support.

Except for the stage where he had the flat and only Kloden helped him, in contrast to when Liepheimer got a flat at (Arcalis?) and 4 teammates dropped back to pace him.

What about Verbier, where Armstrong and Kloden actively rode against him? Or the flat stage in the crosswinds where Armstrong rode against him at the end?

EDIT: What about the stage to Le Grand Bornand? Andy is up the road with Alberto (and Kloden?), while Armstrong should have been sitting wheels. Instead, he tries to slow pedal Wiggins and allows Frank Schelck to attack the chasing group and eventually bridge.

airstream said:
Trolling is an exclusive patrimony of Contador fanboys who write using principle 'I see what I like and I don't what to know anything I dislike'. I'm just a peaceful outsider..

In all honesty, you never ever miss an opportunity to bring your counterpoint to any discussion that gives Contador the smallest amount of credit. Then you quickly blame the opposing perspective on it being inspired by blind fanboyism and rarely any type of reasonable facts or beliefs. It's your MO. It's well documented for all to see.

Don't be late Pedro said:
As for who cares, you could aim that at any thread, so that point is moot. But for the record, given the number of people that voted, clearly quite a few.

But isn't that the crux of the argument. He is the best GT rider but what other races is he the best at? Could be wrong but it seems to me that a lot of people equate best at GTs to best rider.

To be capable of winning multiple grand tours and especially multiple TdF's one has to be a complete rider. No one is questioning Evans versatility but does he excell so much more in any discipline to make up for his huge deficit to Contador in stage racing? You can't argue that Evans doesn't focus on stage races and thus Contador has an unfair advantage in that category but in the most recent incidences where Contador raced for the win or competed seriously in classic/semi-classic events he was 3rd behind Evans at FW, he was instrumental in helping Vino win LBL and he won Milan-Torino.

airstream said:
If he had a puncture and no one had come back to tow tim and as a result he would have lost the Tour — then we might have said the team didn't work for him. So he was entirely protected by Astana sitting at Lance's wheel most of the time.

Yep, Armstrong was intentionally blocking the wind for Contador for most of the race.:rolleyes:

airstream said:
A puppie dared to swarm athwart hierarchy and the team supported Lance.

Hierarchy??? The current best grand tour rider in the world versus an over-the-hill rider with such a massive ego that he figured a fellow champion would simply stepaside and let him take over the team for his grand and hopefully triumphant return to the world stage? Had the audacity to use an Indurain analogy in his argument to support his delusional ambitions? In end admitted that he was beaten by the better man and knew in his heart-of-hearts that had he been in the same circumstances as Contador that he would've done exactly what Contador, and very likely much more to insure he was able to compete and prove who was the best?

If you were in Contador's shoes would you have given in to Armstrong or would you have made sure that you gave yourself the best opportunity to show the world that you were superior and not stood for being suddenly relegated to also ran, support status?

TRENDING THREADS