• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Better Overall Rider: Evans or Contador

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Better overall rider

• Alberto Contador

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
Hierarchy??? The current best grand tour rider in the world versus an over-the-hill rider with such a massive ego that he figured a fellow champion would simply stepaside and let him take over the team for his grand and hopefully triumphant return to the world stage? Had the audacity to use an Indurain analogy in his argument to support his delusional ambitions? In end admitted that he was beaten by the better man and knew in his heart-of-hearts that had he been in the same circumstances as Contador that he would've done exactly what Contador, and very likely much more to insure he was able to compete and prove who was the best?

If you were in Contador's shoes would you have given in to Armstrong or would you have made sure that you gave yourself the best opportunity to show the world that you were superior and not stood for being suddenly relegated to also ran, support status?

You know Contador is not the best example to say about ego, oppose it to another one's and complain about that. He himself has a huge one. If he is dropped, 10 of 10 times he will say ' I could easily follow but it wouldn't be smart tactically'. Exactly insincerity made me dislike him in 2007 already. Insecerity in anything.

He knew what supposedly he would have to overcome in 2008 autumn yet. Did he budge to change anything? NO. Why??? The answer is obvious... :rolleyes: So playing a poor guy who had to undergo bullying and coercion [which you, Contador defenders, do] is a foolishness. He clearly knew through what he should have passed and chose that option.

The team including spanish speaking riders supported Armstrong. For me this says a lot. It means Contador did something wrong.

If I were in Contador shoes, I would have thought many times before doing that Tour. Winning the Tour that way was doomed to bring inevitable revenge from very influential uncles which really came [it is my vision of what happened].

Uff, sorry. Sadly I can not build short consice sentences.

airstream said:
You know Contador is not the best example to say about ego, oppose it to another one's and complain about that. He himself has a huge one. If he is dropped, 10 of 10 times he will say ' I could easily follow but it wouldn't be smart tactically'. Exactly insincerity made me dislike him in 2007 already. Insecerity in anything.

He knew what supposedly he will have to overcome in 2008 autumn yet. Did he budge to change anything? NO. Why??? The answer is obvious... :rolleyes:

The team including spanish speaking riders supported Armstrong. For me this says a lot. It means Contador did something wrong.

If I were in Contador shoes, I would have thought many times before doing that Tour. Winning the Tour that way was doomed to bring inevitable revenge from very influential uncles which really came [it is my vision of what happened]

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA no.

airstream said:

He knew what supposedly he would have to overcome in 2008 autumn yet. Did he budge to change anything? NO. Why??? The answer is obvious... :rolleyes: So playing a poor guy who had to undergo bullying and coercion [which you, Contador defenders, do] is a foolishness. He clearly knew through what he should have passed and chose that option.

If I were in Contador shoes, I would have thought many times before doing that Tour. Winning the Tour that way was doomed to bring inevitable revenge from very influential uncles which really came [it is my vision of what happened].

Uff, sorry. Sadly I can not build short consice sentences.

I would have to disagree and say that it's smarter to not admit that your opponents put you in difficulty and where than to clue them into weaknesses that they can only guess at.

Regarding the implication you made that he should have left the team the moment he knew Armstrong was returning to ride for Bruyneel , if I'm not mistaken, he was under contract and would have had to pay to break it, even if the Armstrong/sponsors were willing to let him go. Do you really think Armstrong would've let him go, knowing it would be easier to control his most dangerous opponent if he's on the team that he has under his boot than to have riding for another squad free to ride his own race?

He chose to stay, possibly confident of his ability to overcome whatever Armstrong threw in his path and/or was capable of bringing to the field of battle. The fact that he remained quiet throughout the Tour and simply went about the business of showing Armstrong a clean set of wheels showed me that he was all about winning the race, choosing to deal with the drama it entailed until after the Tour.

airstream said:

It tells me that they (the rest of the team, other than Paulinho) were riding to keep their jobs and following orders, no matter how ludicrous they seemed to everyone else in the cycling world.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Compare apples to apples: Evans or "Valverde"

I think its an unfair poll too.

Evans vs Valverde would be interesting, as would Evans vs Nibali or even Evans vs Cunego, but Evans vs Contador, as the numbers suggest, is a bit one sided.

El Pistolero said:
Evans is a guy who barely won a race before 2011. He only raced so much because he failed so much. None of his old team-mates like him in fact. Not a very inspiring leader. ;)

Besides, Evans has worked with some of the most shady characters in cycling. CAS does not matter. CAS doesn't even think Contador is guilty by the way, so it's funny to see you defending CAS.

You mean a couple of Belgians from Lotto don't like him. I have heard and read plenty of good things said about Evans from past and present team mates. If only half of them were sincere it would still be okay. Evans does not strike me as the type to be too worried about the opinions of others. His personality has probably caused some problems as a team leader but it's not as if he can trade it in and buy a new one. The scenes at the end of the 2011 Tour made me think he has some inspirational qualities. I suppose he could learn Spanish and become a much better human...........

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
You mean a couple of Belgians from Lotto don't like him. I have heard and read plenty of good things said about Evans from past and present team mates. If only half of them were sincere it would still be okay. Evans does not strike me as the type to be too worried about the opinions of others. His personality has probably caused some problems as a team leader but it's not as if he can trade it in and buy a new one. The scenes at the end of the 2011 Tour made me think he has some inspirational qualities. I suppose he could learn Spanish and become a much better human...........

No, I mean every single member from Lotto and Mapei. And some members of the Rabobank team also have a strong opinion about him.

As a team leader you should be worried about what other people think of you. He doesn't have many friends in the peloton.

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
As a team leader you should be worried about what other people think of you. He doesn't have many friends in the peloton.
Armstrong seemed to have lots of friends in the Peleton, Bassons didn't.. Anyway back to pointless poll - Contador is hands down a much more successful road racer than Evans.

El Pistolero said:
No, I mean every single member from Lotto and Mapei. And some members of the Rabobank team also have a strong opinion about him.

He had a lot of frustrations in those teams, even worse at Telekom. Horner had good things to say even though he queried his mindset sometimes. But it's a lovefest at BMC ! When he retires that might change. Evans will never win any "most adorable" prizes but neither is he close to being the most boring either, leadership questions aside. I think previous managers were partly to blame at Lotto etc. As for Rabobank, who cares. They have enough problems of their own. Not everyone is cut out to be an Hinault or Armstrong. Neither of those two were very popular either. Evans was too retiring and quiet to adopt that role in the peloton.

movingtarget said:
He had a lot of frustrations in those teams, even worse at Telekom. Horner had good things to say even though he queried his mindset sometimes. But it's a lovefest at BMC ! When he retires that might change. Evans will never win any "most adorable" prizes but neither is he close to being the most boring either, leadership questions aside. I think previous managers were partly to blame at Lotto etc. As for Rabobank, who cares. They have enough problems of their own. Not everyone is cut out to be an Hinault or Armstrong. Neither of those two were very popular either. Evans was too retiring and quiet to adopt that role in the peloton.
I don't know what Rabobank riders El Pisti is talking about, he probably doesn't even know himself. Maybe Gesink, after the headbutt incident in the Vuelta, but actually Gesink has said he's an admirer of Evans, and likes his all year long racing mentality (that was before last year).

I don't think quiet and retiring are quite the aspects of Evans' character that people don't like, BTW.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
Yep, Armstrong was intentionally blocking the wind for Contador for most of the race

Hm, what should he have done?

I would have to disagree and say that it's smarter to not admit that your opponents put you in difficulty and where than to clue them into weaknesses that they can only guess at.
Not always. 10 of 10 is way over. Expressing like that, he either thinks everyone is fool or lies to himself.

Regarding the implication you made that he should have left the team the moment he knew Armstrong was returning to ride for Bruyneel , if I'm not mistaken, he was under contract and would have had to pay to break it
Omg, he is cute, diligent and obedient... Are you serious? Broken contracts happen time and again in professional sports. After 2008 season many teams would have been agree to buy Contador with his contract and compensations if he had WANTED. He was simply afraid of changes of a certain sort. We understand which one.

Do you really think Armstrong would've let him go, knowing it would be easier to control his most dangerous opponent if he's on the team that he has under his boot than to have riding for another squad free to ride his own race?
Yes, I'm sure Bruyneel would have Contador let go if this had been in his power entirely, but Kazakh sponsors decided too much, so they naturally insisted on Contador remaining. Contador surely was all for it. A roof never interferes with its owner.
He chose to stay, possibly confident of his ability to overcome whatever Armstrong threw in his path and/or was capable of bringing to the field of battle. The fact that he remained quiet throughout the Tour and simply went about the business of showing Armstrong a clean set of wheels showed me that he was all about winning the race, choosing to deal with the drama it entailed until after the Tour.
Are you full of goodness and believe in the best in people only when it relates to Contador? Considering your attitude to Andy and Sky, I can make some conclusion... ;)

Third attempt to express my opinion on this topic. This time, please, leave me alone, and stop deleting. :mad:

Evans is a full time professional racer, racing from February to October, just like any cycling rider since Nativity. This links him all cycling greats of the past. He's honouring "small" races with his presence. His consistency is remarkable for a rider of his era, if though there are more and more like him since about 2010 (Nibali, Gesink, Cancellara, Gilbert, A Schleck:p, etc.)

C***tador is a pretty damn joke, racing 50 days a year (60 if you include criteriums), finishing in July, a*se-licking the biggest race organisers (ASO, RCS) and then finishing the year, sunbathing on the beaches of Cancun.

Mellow Velo said:
CAS aside,

CAS matters

Mellow Velo said:
A better one day rider, but that's about it.

Yeah, and that's a mere detail, of course. :rolleyes:

theyoungest said:
I don't know what Rabobank riders El Pisti is talking about, he probably doesn't even know himself. Maybe Gesink, after the headbutt incident in the Vuelta, but actually Gesink has said he's an admirer of Evans, and likes his all year long racing mentality (that was before last year).

I don't think quiet and retiring are quite the aspects of Evans' character that people don't like, BTW.

Okay but you have to admit he is not as moody and whiny as he used to be, maybe more at peace with himself at BMC. Has now got the wife the dog, the kid and the Tour victory. I think the problem was the missing Tour win and the frustrations he had chasing it.

Echoes said:
Third attempt to express my opinion on this topic. This time, please, leave me alone, and stop deleting. :mad:

Maybe it's time to realize there is something wrong with what you post when the mods delete it.

Evans is a full time professional racer, racing from February to October, just like any cycling rider since Nativity. This links him all cycling greats of the past. He's honouring "small" races with his presence. His consistency is remarkable for a rider of his era, if though there are more and more like him since about 2010 (Nibali, Gesink, Cancellara, Gilbert, A Schleck:p, etc.)

Conttador is a pretty damn joke, racing 50 days a year (60 if you include criteriums), finishing in July, a*se-licking the biggest race organisers (ASO, RCS) and then finishing the year, sunbathing on the beaches of Cancun.

I'm sure you don't mind me checking this...

race days per year

2007 - 64
2008 - 68
2009 - 54
2010 - 52
2011 - 65

That is without criteriums.

And please give me an example of him "a*se-licking" ASO and RCS and no he doesn't go sunbathing in Cancun when he ends his season, he's got a **** load of other things to do like visiting sponsors, sponsor events, training camps, TV appearances etc.

And you say Evans honours small races with his presence. Fine. But so does Alberto (for example Tour de San Luis, Vuelta a la Region de Murcia,Volta ao Algarve)

You can have your opinion but stop posting bull**** or else it'll make you look like a ****ing joke.

Oh wait, this is the same person who said Alberto was a nobody because he'd never won a classic (stage races don't matter) :rolleyes:

Echoes said:

C***tador is a pretty damn joke, racing 50 days a year (60 if you include criteriums), finishing in July, a*se-licking the biggest race organisers (ASO, RCS) and then finishing the year, sunbathing on the beaches of Cancun.

CAS matters

Yeah, and that's a mere detail, of course. :rolleyes:

funny enough in 2011 evans did exactly what you are criticizing condator for and the smallest race he did was the USPCC for obvious sponsor reasons only.

he also only raced one 1 day race all season long (strade bianchi) and every other race cept those 2 where WT stage races.

so it seems like when evans managed to get the only win he actually wanted, the rest of the season became pretty irrelevant to him.

double standards much?

LaFlorecita said:
Oh wait, this is the same person who said Alberto was a nobody because he'd never won a classic (stage races don't matter) :rolleyes:

its also the same idiot who thinks.Milan san remo is a climbers classic and who did his own cycling ranking system with scoring and all of.400 riders that had zubeldia for example but not contador.

LaFlorecita said:
Maybe it's time to realize there is something wrong with what you post when the mods delete it.

There is no excuse for censorship. It's a method for the weaks.

LaFlorecita said:
I'm sure you don't mind me checking this...

race days per year

2007 - 64
2008 - 68
2009 - 54
2010 - 52
2011 - 65

That is without criteriums.

It's RIDICULOUSLY small. Merckx raced for twice as many days a year, not including track racing days.

LaFlorecita said:
And please give me an example of him "a*se-licking" ASO and RCS

Let's say Giro 2008.

funny enough in 2011 evans did exactly what you are criticizing condator for and the smallest race he did was the USPCC for obvious sponsor reasons only.

He was aged 33. And that's a great job at cherry-picking. What about 2008, 2009, etc.

Besides, if you read all my posts on these boards, you'd know that I already noticed that: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=642033&postcount=29

The Hitch said:
its also the same idiot who thinks.Milan san remo is a climbers classic

If Parrulo comes back on this thread, I'd like to point out that I've never insulted another poster, this way. And I won't return it. I don't mind, my shoulders are strong enough.

Perhaps, you'd tell me that Raymond Poulidor and Laurent Fignon were sprinters. That's a matter of opinion, I guess.

Echoes said:
If Parrulo comes back on this thread, I'd like to point out that I've never insulted another poster, this way. And I won't return it. I don't mind, my shoulders are strong enough.

Perhaps, you'd tell me that Raymond Poulidor and Laurent Fignon were sprinters. That's a matter of opinion, I guess.

You know its against the rules to bring up doping here but you keep bringing up doping in the thread, knowing that even if your posts are deleted they will survive long enough to flame plenty of Contador fans.

And then you complain that the I used the perfectly harmless term - idiot.

Having no less just a moment earlier declared yourself "anti censorship".

TRENDING THREADS