• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Better Overall Rider: Evans or Contador

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Better overall rider

• Alberto Contador

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Echoes said:
Third attempt to express my opinion on this topic. This time, please, leave me alone, and stop deleting. :mad:

Evans is a full time professional racer, racing from February to October, just like any cycling rider since Nativity. This links him all cycling greats of the past. He's honouring "small" races with his presence. His consistency is remarkable for a rider of his era, if though there are more and more like him since about 2010 (Nibali, Gesink, Cancellara, Gilbert, A Schleck:p, etc.)

C***tador is a pretty damn joke, racing 50 days a year (60 if you include criteriums), finishing in July, a*se-licking the biggest race organisers (ASO, RCS) and then finishing the year, sunbathing on the beaches of Cancun.

CAS matters

Yeah, and that's a mere detail, of course. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your forthcoming vacation.

Evans climbed off his bike in August, this year.
The year before, he interrupted his round of opening supermarkets to swan around, finishing nowhere in a joke of a race in the US......in August.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cycling/cadel-evans-off-the-pace-20110826-1jdg4.html

Milan-Turin 26th September.

The Hitch said:
You know its against the rules to bring up doping here but you keep bringing up doping in the thread, knowing that even if your posts are deleted they will survive long enough to flame plenty of Contador fans.

Doping is part of this sport. Silencing the problem is pointless.

The Hitch said:
And then you complain that the I used the perfectly harmless term - idiot.
Having no less just a moment earlier declared yourself "anti censorship".

I am anti-censorship and precisely I don't want the mods to delete your post otherwise nobody would know you've insulted me while I was posting in a perfectly serene mood.

Mellow Velo said:

Won't have any. I'm not Contador, lol.
Mellow Velo said:

He's 35.

Mellow Velo said:
The year before, he interrupted his round of opening supermarkets to swan around, finishing nowhere in a joke of a race in the US......in August.

He was 34 (and not 33 as I wrongly mentioned above).

However in 2004, he raced from Valencia (February) to Lombardy (October)
In 2005, from the Nats (January) to Germany (August)
In 2006, from Down Under (January) to Zurich (October)
In 2007, from Andalucia (February) to Lombardy (October)
In 2008, from Andalucia (February) to Emily (October)
In 2009, from Andalucia (February) to Lombardy (October)
In 2010, from Down Under (January) to the Worlds (September)

Right?

Echoes said:
He's 35.
He was 34 (and not 33 as I wrongly mentioned above).

So, you have decided that age is a mitigating factor?
I guess we'll have to wait until Contador is 35 and see what else he wins in the 5 years, then.

Echoes said:
However in 2004, he raced from Valencia (February) to Lombardy (October)
In 2005, from the Nats (January) to Germany (August)
In 2006, from Down Under (January) to Zurich (October)
In 2007, from Andalucia (February) to Lombardy (October)
In 2008, from Andalucia (February) to Emily (October)
In 2009, from Andalucia (February) to Lombardy (October)
In 2010, from Down Under (January) to the Worlds (September)

Right?

An Aussie racing in Oz during the Summer? Does that even count?
Not in my book.

In 2008, Contador was not just riding, but winning stage races in March, a GT in May, then another GT in mid-September. Then had his first stage race win of the next season in Februrary, 2009.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
I guess we'll have to wait until Contador is 35 and see what else he wins in the 5 years, then.

Indeed, with Echoes logic we should compare the palmares of a 30 y Evans against a 30 y Contador.

Pretty clear what the answer is...

The Hitch said:
And you can go talk about it to your hearts content in the clinic, where you might learn that just because you like a rider doesnt mean they are clean.

Caricature won't help you, son.

Mellow Velo said:

Yes indeed, I guess even my cousin who is 1 year old can tell you that at age 35, you don't have the same recuperating skills as at age 26.

Mellow Velo said:
An Aussie racing in Oz during the Summer? Does that even count?
Not in my book.

You're right. An Italian racing Lombardy does not count either. Or a Dutchie racing Amstel, a German racing Francfurt GP, etc.

Mellow Velo said:
In 2008, Contador was not just riding, but winning stage races in March, a GT in May, then another GT in mid-September. Then had his first stage race win of the next season in Februrary, 2009.

Contador fans are really trained in the pilpul method. Debunking my arguments with one particular case, because they are incapable of any global vision. So that won't change the global consistency of my reasoning. Florecita showed you the Contador ridiculously light calendars. It's very easy to explain that he raced the Vuelta in 2008 because he was kept from Bore de France. And any time he would race Bore de France, be sure he would stop in July. If not, I would apologize.

I haven't calculated Evans racing days every year in his prime. But it must be around 90.

In 2009 Olivier Kaisen raced for around 110 days. That was twice as much as Contador that year. Who deserves more credit? :rolleyes:

Echoes said:
Caricature won't help you, son.

Yes indeed, I guess even my cousin who is 1 year old can tell you that at age 35, you don't have the same recuperating skills as at age 26.

You're right. An Italian racing Lombardy does not count either. Or a Dutchie racing Amstel, a German racing Francfurt GP, etc.

Contador fans are really trained in the pilpul method. Debunking my arguments with one particular case, because they are incapable of any global vision. So that won't change the global consistency of my reasoning. Florecita showed you the Contador ridiculously light calendars. It's very easy to explain that he raced the Vuelta in 2008 because he was kept from Bore de France. And any time he would race Bore de France, be sure he would stop in July. If not, I would apologize.

I haven't calculated Evans racing days every year in his prime. But it must be around 90.

In 2009 Olivier Kaisen raced for around 110 days. That was twice as much as Contador that year. Who deserves more credit? :rolleyes:
In 2008 Evans had 68 racing days

2011: 57
2012: 52

Echoes said:
Contador fans are really trained in the pilpul method. Debunking my arguments with one particular case, because they are incapable of any global vision.

Except I'm not a Contador fan. I just worship pro racing, not individual cyclists.
Although, I don't claim to be a global visionary.:eek:

Echoes said:

Netserk said:
In 2008 Evans had 68 racing days

2011: 57
2012: 52

Oooh err, the numbers don't lie.
Just a tad out with that guess.
Less than Bertie in his last full season.
So I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Evans
2009- 87
2008- 68
2007- 85

Of course, more race days doesn't necessarily mean one rider is better than another. Quality over quantity like El P said. Nothing wrong with racing around 50-60 days as long as the rider gets the results.

I'm amazed that this is even debatable. How have we gotten to 22 pages? Contador isn't that hard to spell is it?

Sure, Evans is an excellent all-round racer with a decent palmares who will be remembered and compared to riders like Vino, Valverde, Sastre or Nibali.

Contador however, will be compared to Coppi, Anquetil, Hinault, Indurain and LeMond.

One is very, very good. The other is an all time great.

Afrank said:
Evans
2009- 87
2008- 68
2007- 85

Of course, more race days doesn't necessarily mean one rider is better than another. Quality over quantity like El P said. Nothing wrong with racing around 50-60 days as long as the rider gets the results.

Thank you, much obliged.

And you might also go on with the other seasons as well: 2006, 2010, it would be all the same. Full prime Evans was a true pro. When past his prime, he's eased up calendar and no longer the same rider.

And then you can go on with the other riders: Nibali, Gilbert, Boonen, Rodriguez, Cancellara, ...

That's the proof that there's a BIG BIG BIG problem with that Contador guy.
He's a disgrace. A lazy bourgeois spoiled brat with delusions of grandeur

Take Chavanel for instance. That guy had this year a very long season on the road. More than 80 days, I think. And last week, in December, he still raced a cyclocross in Pontchâteau. That is what I call a champion. Not the other diva.

Mellow Velo said:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cycling/cadel-evans-off-the-pace-20110826-1jdg4.html

Milan-Turin 26th September.

He was going to ride the World's and the two US races but sickness put an end to that and he just got worse after the Tour. He usually likes to ride Lombardy as well. So there is another ten days or so he would have ridden. Lack of motivation after his disappointment in the Tour wouldn't have helped although the World's course usually would have been a good one for him.

42x16ss said:
I'm amazed that this is even debatable. How have we gotten to 22 pages? Contador isn't that hard to spell is it?

Sure, Evans is an excellent all-round racer with a decent palmares who will be remembered and compared to riders like Vino, Valverde, Sastre or Nibali.

Contador however, will be compared to Coppi, Anquetil, Hinault, Indurain and LeMond.

One is very, very good. The other is an all time great.

Contador has a way to go to reach the level of the riders you mentioned and he isn't an all time great yet. At least with the first three names on the list. Evans palmares is better than Nibali's and Sastre's and Vino's. Close to Valverde and Valverde has a much better classics record but I think Evans GT record is better than Valverde's.

movingtarget said:
Contador has a way to go to reach the level of the riders you mentioned and he isn't an all time great yet. At least with the first three names on the list. Evans palmares is better than Nibali's and Sastre's and Vino's. Close to Valverde and Valverde has a much better classics record but I think Evans GT record is better than Valverde's.
Contador may not be an all time great yet, but at 29 years old, it is only a matter of time. His stage race record is as good as any of the riders I mentioned and he is only the second rider to win all three GT's more than once, after Hinault (IF you count the 2011 Giro).

Echoes said:
That's the proof that there's a BIG BIG BIG problem with that Contador guy.
He's a disgrace. A lazy bourgeois spoiled brat with delusions of grandeur

Wow wow wow take it easy dude. You clearly don't know anything about Alberto. He is not lazy, not spoiled and not a brat and most of all not a disgrace. Do everyone including yourself a favor and stop this silly argument because you're only making a fool of yourself.

LaFlorecita said:
Wow wow wow take it easy dude. You clearly don't know anything about Alberto. He is not lazy, not spoiled and not a brat and most of all not a disgrace. Do everyone including yourself a favor and stop this silly argument because you're only making a fool of yourself.
Please respect other posters opinions, this is a forum, remember?

TRENDING THREADS