• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Better Overall Rider, Nibali or S.Sanchez?

The Better Overall Rider, Nibali or S.Sanchez?

• S.Sanchez

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Miburo said:
Oh well shouldn't be surprised but I think it's maybe good to do it again. I think some people might have changed their opinion based on this year.

It wont mean anything since it will all be based on wild guess work of what samus form is like.

Like Canc 2 injuries ruined his season so we havent seen him on top form in 1 and a half years.

Is he going to suck now that he turns 35? Probably, but its pure guesswork.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
It wont mean anything since it will all be based on wild guess work of what samus form is like.

Like Canc 2 injuries ruined his season so we havent seen him on top form in 1 and a half years.

Cancellara had no injuries in 2011 yet didn't win a classic or a big time trial.

It's really not hard:

- Podiumed all 3 GTs: Nibali
- Podiumed 2 different type of Monuments: Nibali
- Won a WT stage race: Nibali and Samu
- Won a GT: Nibali
- Won an event comparable to a Monument: Samu(Olympics)
- Won a WT one day race: Nibali and Samu (GP Quest France, Zürich-Metzgete)

El Pistolero said:
Cancellara had no injuries in 2011 yet didn't win a classic or a big time trial.

)

Wtf has this got to do with anything?

t's really not hard:

this doesnt ask who has the better palmares but who is the better rider.

the 2 are not the same question. For example Nibali has a better palmares than Schleck but Schleck clearly is the better rider.

Oh and olympics is way bigger than a monument btw.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:

It's about people their opinion and it's interesting to see how it changed after this year. But anyways I didn't know there was a thread otherwise I wouldn't have made it so yeah ;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

this doesnt ask who has the better palmares but who is the better rider.

the 2 are not the same question. For example Nibali has a better palmares than Schleck but Schleck clearly is the better rider.

Oh and olympics is way bigger than a monument btw.

Just because you compete for the glory of your country and the title of Sir? ;)

I just look at who's there and the field is comparable to a Monument. Not that Alexander Kristoff will podium a Monument any time soon. ;)

If anything it should be worth less because it's heavily depended on which country you live in. If you're a good cyclist you can at least get a good team around you in Monuments. But if you're from a country like Slovakia you're pretty much screwed for an Olympic or WC event.

So Nibali is 6 years younger and already has a better palmares? I think that settles who the best all-round rider is.

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Nibali has a better palmares than Schleck but Schleck clearly is the better rider.

time will tell, but i'll go with Nibali.
Schleck is the better climber, no doubt about that, but Nibali is competitive in a huge variety of races, and far more consistent throughout a season

a poll perhaps? :D:D

woodenswan said:
time will tell, but i'll go with Nibali.
Schleck is the better climber, no doubt about that, but Nibali is competitive in a huge variety of races, and far more consistent throughout a season

a poll perhaps? :D:D
I'd go with who's better at peak form. And that's clearly Schleck. Even in a time trial (in a GT) they're somewhat equal.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I'd go with who's better at peak form. And that's clearly Schleck. Even in a time trial (in a GT) they're somewhat equal.

The question isn't who's the most talented, that is clearly Andy Schleck, but about who's the best overall rider.

theyoungest said:

nibali clearly improved his time trial this year. can we say the same about andy schleck?

anyway on topic, obviously nibali. he is younger, already has the better palmares and is still improving. sanchez is most likely over the hill and i highly doubt he will win anything really big(monument or GT) on his career ever again.

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
The question isn't who's the most talented, that is clearly Andy Schleck, but about who's the best overall rider.

exactly

definition of overall: in view of all the circumstances or conditions; with everyone or everything taken into account

talent and peak form, those are just some of the factors

theyoungest said:
Even in a time trial (in a GT) they're somewhat equal.

Nibali has shown signs of improvement in that department.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
samu in every possible way he is better. sprinter, itt, climbing, classics, bigger engine. only downhil samu's skills have depleted, but nibali is nothing exceptional either

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Revisiting last years polls is great, things change quite fast so its good to recount the last years battles in a poll :D

Nibs by a land slide! Sammy had a dreadful year so figures he'd lost out this year.

We also get to see who jumps ship after this year and who's still on the bandwagon ;)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Nibs, but hopefully Samu will have recovered from this years injuries and be able to challenge in the Giro and Vuelta. Next poll...

TRENDING THREADS