• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Big 6

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
When we look at the UCI points its hard to say that WVA is the worst. I think we miss something in the different 'simple' comparisons we made before :)

And while Hincapie was a great rider,, there was no way he would have placed 2nd in UCI points when the likes of Pog/Vingegaard/evenepoel and VDP are riding.

(I know UCI points isn't the best system... but neither are the simple comparisons we made :)

I wouldn’t say there’s nothing on the pro rider side. There is plenty of upcoming young talent and good older riders. Now for races and everything else, that is completely dead.
I should have been more clear, I was definitely speaking only of the US domestic road racing calendar. I'm really excited about (and a big fan of) all the talent the US has riding on the WT right now. Powless, McNulty, Sheffield, Simmons, et al, all strong and aggressive guys, easy to root for. And on the women's side too; I'm very bullish on the potential of Megan Jastrab. Good stuff in the pipeline for the US!

I should have been more clear, I was definitely speaking only of the US domestic road racing calendar. I'm really excited about (and a big fan of) all the talent the US has riding on the WT right now. Powless, McNulty, Sheffield, Simmons, et al, all strong and aggressive guys, easy to root for. And on the women's side too; I'm very bullish on the potential of Megan Jastrab. Good stuff in the pipeline for the US!
About American female cyclists... what's up with Chloe Dygert nowadays? She looked like the next big thing until her crash in the WC TT in 2020, but seemingly dissapeared of the cycling radar now.

It’s cool to see how much young U.S. talent there is coming into the pro peloton.
But as for “being fine with” I understand your point, but as a cycling fan I still wish there was a much bigger domestic road racing scene. And by that I mean road races, not crits. Going to cross races is the main source for live racing.
I mean, I do miss the Tour of California, but nothing else was worth paying any attention to.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I mean, I do miss the Tour of California, but nothing else was worth paying any attention to.
It’s probably pointless to compare today to the situation 40 yrs ago but in the 1980s, the Seattle area (in the City of Redmond, aka Microsoftland) had a annual men’s and women’s road races that drew all the top amateurs and the few pro riders from the U.S. and Canada. It was a great place to watch a race, and a fun day for that city with the finish in the downtown. But it was mainly community supported so unfortunately races like that don’t happen much anymore without a big corporate sponsor.

• Sad
About American female cyclists... what's up with Chloe Dygert nowadays? She looked like the next big thing until her crash in the WC TT in 2020, but seemingly dissapeared of the cycling radar now.
That crash knocked her for a real loop, then she had another physical issue, can't remember what it was. But that was one of the worst crashes I've ever seen... Hope she eventually comes back.

Not that it had the same level of talent attend, but I always enjoyed the Tour of Utah. It seemed to always put together a good route and highlighted lots of Utah.
And it gave us Sepp Kuss!

(right, wasn't that his breakthrough performance?)

Edit: If "300 meter pulls on TdF high-mountain stages" was a real thing, Sepp would make it the big 7)

And it gave us Sepp Kuss!

(right, wasn't that his breakthrough performance?)

Edit: If "300 meter pulls on TdF high-mountain stages" was a real thing, Sepp would make it the big 7)
Yup, Kuss won 3 stages and won in dominant fashion that year. Plus, Powless was on Jumbo at the time and took 2nd on one of the stages behind Kuss

Let's have a look at the rankings with my personal point system. Here's the all-time ranking of the Big Six, expanded with Alaphilippe and Carapaz. Pogačar has just pipped Roglič - and is now tied with Sagan at 520 points.

26. Tadej Pogačar 520
28. Primož Roglič 519
73. Wout Van Aert 306
74. Julian Alaphilippe 305
91. Remco Evenepoel 260
119. Mathieu van der Poel 214
127. Richard Carapaz 204
2xx. Jonas Vingegaard 123

Here is their ranking since 2020:

1. Tadej Pogačar 455
2. Primož Roglič 335
3. Wout Van Aert 287
4. Remco Evenepoel 225
5. Mathieu van der Poel 184
6. Richard Carapaz 136
7. Julian Alaphilippe 132
8. Jonas Vingegaard 123

And here is their ranking since 2022:

1. Tadej Pogačar 210
2. Remco Evenepoel 180
3. Mathieu van der Poel 104
4. Jonas Vingegaard 93
5. Wout Van Aert 91
6. Primož Roglič 84

Conclusion: Pogačar is currently the best, but he has to watch out for the younger Evenepoel. People are underestimating Van Aert, who has been performing at a constant level since 2020. Vingegaard is still way behind the rest in the all-time ranking, be he could make a leap by winning a second Tour.

Last edited:
Let's have a look at the rankings with my personal point system. Here's the all-time ranking of the Big Six, expanded with Alaphilippe and Carapaz. Pogačar has just pipped Roglič - and is now tied with Sagan at 520 points.

26. Tadej Pogačar 520
28. Primož Roglič 519
73. Wout Van Aert 306
74. Julian Alaphilippe 305
91. Remco Evenepoel 260
119. Mathieu van der Poel 214
127. Richard Carapaz 204
2xx. Jonas Vingegaard 123

Here is their ranking since 2020:

1. Tadej Pogačar 455
2. Primož Roglič 335
3. Wout Van Aert 287
4. Remco Evenepoel 225
5. Mathieu van der Poel 184
6. Richard Carapaz 136
7. Julian Alaphilippe 132
8. Jonas Vingegaard 123

And here is their ranking since 2022:

1. Tadej Pogačar 210
2. Remco Evenepoel 180
3. Mathieu van der Poel 104
4. Jonas Vingegaard 93
5. Wout Van Aert 91
6. Primož Roglič 84

Conclusion: Pogačar is currently the best, but he has to watch out for the younger Evenepoel. People are underestimating Van Aert, who has been performing at a constant level since 2020. Vingegaard is still way behind the rest in the all-time ranking, be he could make a leap by winning a second Tour.
IMO, another conclusion is that Roglic is being underrated due to a bad injury/crash plagued year in 2022. A big 2023 could potentially put him on top in some of these categories.

The myth lives on

PN: Tadej Pogacar
TA: Primoz Roglic
MSR: Mathieu Van der Poel
E3: Wout Van Aert
GW: Wout Van Aert*
RVV: Tadej Pogacar
PR: Mathieu Van der Poel
Catalunya: Primoz Roglic
Vuelta Pais Vasco: Jonas Vingegaard
AGR: Tadej Pogacar
FW: Tadej Pogacar