• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The blurred lines of Livestrong - the spin bike sham

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
According to Dr. Robert O. Young, Director of Research at the pH Miracle Living Center, "green tea is acidic and will contribute to the dietary acid and metabolic loads in the tissue causing a cancerous condition or making a cancerous condition worse."

This is junk science at its worst. In the first place, there is zero correlation between consumption of acidic substances and the pH at tissues. Hello, the pH of the stomach, with its HCl, is something like one, so there is no substance that one can consume that affects pH where digestion begins. A very strongly acidic environment is required for digestion, the composition of food substances is completely irrelevant to this process. Moreover, prganic acids like those present in green tea (and vinegar, e.g., which I never heard listed as a carcinogen), following absorption into the bloodstream, are easily buffered by substances in the blood, and when taken up by cells, by buffers in them, so they never affect tissue pH in the slightest.

Even if they did, I'm not aware of any studies associating acidic pH or acided substances in tissues with carcinogenic effects. Carcinogenesis is promoted by certain substance that may result in gene mutations or other chromosomal abnormalities, or affect certain metabolic pathways in cells. These processes are extremely complex, and there is a great deal we still don't understand about them. The evidence to date is that certain substances in green tea are beneficial; it's possible that there are also substances in green tea that could be harmful. But their acidic nature is not the source of these effects. Much as Miracle Institutes would love you to believe otherwise, there is no simple solution like altering pH.

Polish said:
Geez guys, do I really need to spell this out for you?

C'mon, LiveStrong promotes HGH and Green Tea right?
So called health effects.....
At least that is what LiveStrong feeds its Sheeples baaabaaa.

BUT

http://articlesofhealth.blogspot.com/2009/07/green-tea-is-acidic-and-may-cause.html

Suprised you guys have not picked up on this yet.
Just trying to help.

Once again:

"The researchers reviewed studies involving more than 1.6 million people in Asia, where green tea consumption is a regular habit. Boehm said that variables in how much green tea people drink and how different cancers grow makes it difficult to find a conclusive relationship about whether green tea helps prevent cancer."

The rest is just a random blog post about some Ph.D. referring to himself in third person.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
That is a load of crap, I have tried self prescribing beer in the medically recommended doses. It didn't do a thing for me, 1 to 2 drinks a day my ***..........:D

one to two is just a guideline. it's like aspirin, you have to triple the doseage

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Unhappily, I have to learn as much as I can about advanced lung cancer in a short time in order to take care of a relative.

I found many thoughtful, helpful articles at the American Cancer Society website and, believe it or not, About.com.

The Livestrong site was completely useless to me. Oh, they wanted to sell me a pamphlet. Screw that.

If you want to support "awareness," please direct your contributions to the American Cancer Society.

Thank you.

A

Anonymous

fatandfast said:
read someplace that hibiscus tea can help you shake cancer. no yellow wrist band needed

I can tell you, they make great c*ck rings if nothing else.

Thoughtforfood said:

If you put two of them together, they act like Wonder Twin rings.

5598574182_eda595a433.jpg

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
you hillbillys got some girth. The Onion sells the yellow bands that say "cheat to win" you may want to try one of those blood restrictors

A

Anonymous

fatandfast said:
you hillbillys got some girth. The Onion sells the yellow bands that say "cheat to win" you may want to try one of those blood restrictors

Yep, 'cause you never know when yur gunna run into a couple of people in a canoe with pretty mouths.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
This does lead to the question of what employment/business opportunities Lance Gunderson will find after the Feds seize everything he owns--including his mother's double wide.
Some suggestions:
1. Gunderson's Snowball Stand
2. Gunderson's Plano Fix a Flat
3. Gunderson's Famous Sperm Donor Center
4. Gunderson's Shoe Shine (At an AMTRAK location near you --
franchises available)
5. Gunderson's Fanboy Twelve Step Program

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Lance's Jet fuel paid by Livestrong charity?

i wonder if purchase of jet fuel would show as separate line item or under general "travel expense" on the livestrong books? That might be intresting to see the amount and compare to other charties of simular size and how much "private plane travel" gas etc. would be on other charities books? does lance own his jet then lease to charity?

May 23, 2011
Visit site
thorny59 said:
i wonder if purchase of jet fuel would show as separate line item or under general "travel expense" on the livestrong books? That might be intresting to see the amount and compare to other charties of simular size and how much "private plane travel" gas etc. would be on other charities books? does lance own his jet then lease to charity?

Travel by Mellow Johnny's Aviation, LLC. Guess who owns the company. I wonder if the charity is overcharged. Nah, that would never never never happen. Never!

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Another lead from RR's twitter feed:

Looks like Fabiani's May bill came through early.

Seven-time “Tour de France winner” Cyclist Lance Armstrong, recently accused of doping, has re-listed his Dripping Springs, TX home at a huge loss, according to the Real Estalker.

The "recently accused of doping" must be some sort of Hollywood-inspired means of attracting attention and hoping for a price premium.

They don't say anything about the water bill, though.

Dave.

You just have to love RR . . . I want to buy this guy a drink one day!

This may have been posted in another thread, but here is some follow-up to the Kansas City stadium that has LivesWrong branding.

"it appears that Livestrong did not pay for the naming rights and is instead guaranteed a donation of no less that $7.5 million over the next six years. The money will come from a portion of ticket and concession sales to both MLS matches and other events held in the stadium, including concerts."

http://causerelatedmarketing.blogspot.com/2011/05/livestrong-stadium-deal-sets-naming.html

More funny stuff with numbers. The idea is the arena operator pays for the privilege of LivesWrong branding in the form of future donations to the .org. This is the complete opposite of the industry norm. The arena collects good money for naming an arena. Anyone ask if there was a commission on the deal? If you spread the big number they used over 7 years, then the time value of money heavily discounts the contribution.

Something about this sure doesn't pass the smell test.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
This may have been posted in another thread, but here is some follow-up to the Kansas City stadium that has LivesWrong branding.

"it appears that Livestrong did not pay for the naming rights and is instead guaranteed a donation of no less that $7.5 million over the next six years. The money will come from a portion of ticket and concession sales to both MLS matches and other events held in the stadium, including concerts."

http://causerelatedmarketing.blogspot.com/2011/05/livestrong-stadium-deal-sets-naming.html

More funny stuff with numbers. The idea is the arena operator pays for the privilege of LivesWrong branding in the form of future donations to the .org. This is the complete opposite of the industry norm. The arena collects good money for naming an arena. Anyone ask if there was a commission on the deal? If you spread the big number they used over 7 years, then the time value of money heavily discounts the contribution.

Something about this sure doesn't pass the smell test.

I do not understand how the naming rights are part of the ticket sales?

You pay to have a stadium named after you as part of Advertising/Publicity when did that include ticket sales????? very very strange.

TRENDING THREADS