• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The blurred lines of Livestrong - the spin bike sham

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
That number has always bothered me too. It seems like a number of that magnitude has no real scientific or logical method for precise quantification.

I figure that Lance and his marketing crew just came up with sort of a 'roundy-nice sounding' number ...
sad to say but I think it must be way more than that. :confused:

Wait.... are you trying to say that my Black 28 kit is not acurate? What the ????:D

flicker said:
I am ausuming there is one Colorado river, the one that starts in Colorado goes through the Coors plant to make their fine 'Banquet' adult beverage, and then is piped straight to Lances' home, right?

Well, there is THAT one. The one that flows through the Grand Canyon, Hoover dam, etc. and ends as a mud puddle about 1,500 miles south, a few miles southwest of Yuma.

Then there is the one about a thousand miles east that starts near Lubbock, Texas and runs through beautiful downtown Austin. Only about 800 miles long though.

Not the same river, not the same headwaters, not the same state, just the same name.

Colorado River

Colorado River (Texas)

I hear that the state of Texas is going to be renamed "Livestrongland". That will be a big step towards bringing cancer to its knees. Maybe at the same time the Colorado river that flows through Austin can be renamed Gunderson creek, because once it passes Wonderboy's fleuvial deviation system a creek is probably all that is left.

Cloxxki said:
You guys are so funny. You number your streets, yet use the same river name twice :)

Well, "Colorado" is Spanish for "colored red". I would suspect that with so many rivers running reddish brown with ferrous oxide and other silts, it would be a fairly common name.

Keep in mind, these two rivers were named several hundred years ago, in what were, at the time, two separate countries (Texas was a part of Mexico and then a republic). I doubt anyone was wondering "Gee, do you think there's another river named "Colorado" anywhere?

That, and they are further apart than Rome is to London...

By the way, try Googling "Red River" and see how many english variants you get to the basic translation of "Colorado".

MacRoadie said:
Well, "Colorado" is Spanish for "colored red". I would suspect that with so many rivers running reddish brown with ferrous oxide and other silts, it would be a fairly common name.

Keep in mind, these two rivers were named several hundred years ago, in what were, at the time, two separate countries (Texas was a part of Mexico and then a republic). I doubt anyone was wondering "Gee, do you think there's another river named "Colorado" anywhere?

By the way, try Googling "Red River" and see how many english variants you get to the basic translation of "Colorado".
The satire didn't sound through my remark then?

MacRoadie said:

Everyone knows that the Red River flows through Winnipeg before joining that large slough suitable only for mutant catfish that they call the Mississippi.

There are only two rivers in the US. The old muddy and the Colorado. (some say it was a native american trick on settlers to set them off course by pretending that there was no common headwater)

It is pretty obvious which one Lance would want to drink dry.

Dave.

MacRoadie said:
Of course it did. I just provided a little more geography for those not "in the know".

Kind of like trying to canoe up river without a paddle, isn't it?

Our schools have been scientifically designed to prevent over-education from happening.

William T. Harris, U.S. Commissioner of Education, 1889

Pretty sure that the Golden State won't worry about how the Colorado tributary got hi-jacked by the Panhandle(rs).

Dave.

Edit to add: It might be interesting to see how Wonderboy likes having to fend off that which he practices

May 26, 2010
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
I always found it kind of difficult to buy that number as well. At a current population of just over seven billion, less than one half of one percent of the world's population is afflicted with cancer?

i think they were only talkin about the ones with money or health insurance, they don't give a fig about the ones that cant donate ;)

Benotti69 said:
MacRoadie said:
I always found it kind of difficult to buy that number as well. At a current population of just over seven billion, less than one half of one percent of the world's population is afflicted with cancer?

i think they were only talkin about the ones with money or health insurance, they don't give a fig about the ones that cant donate ;)

Yes, I was wondering about that number as well. I think it is the number of 'survivors' of a cancer diagnosis.

According to the World Health Organization, Cancer accounted for 7.9 million deaths (around 13% of all deaths) in 2007. And, about 72% of all cancer deaths in 2007 occurred in low- and middle-income countries.

What, low & middle income countries?

Well outside the Livestrong mandate.

Let's focus on California! Thar's gold in them thar hills. Lowest tobacco consumption rate in the country? Perfect! Why worry about anywhere else?

Honestly, if you were targeting a tax on cigarettes, would you really start with the lowest consumers if you didn't have some ulterior motive?

The California population buys approximately half (52 percent) the number of cigarettes per person as the rest of the US (6.42 packs per month)

Dave.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:

Sounds like someone is having a "Cancer Awareness Moment"
Good for you!

Yes, about 28,000,000 people have cancer currently.
And about 8,000,000 will die this year.

So, on a crowded TdF Alpe d'Huez stage where a million townspeople line the course cheering - about 4000 of them have cancer and 1000 will die before the next years edition.

Maybe that percentage sounds low to you....half of one percent.
Compared to the percentage of stupid people it certainly IS low lol.

Polish said:
Sounds like someone is having a "Cancer Awareness Moment"
Good for you!

Yes, about 28,000,000 people have cancer currently.
And about 8,000,000 will die this year.

So, on a crowded TdF Alpe d'Huez stage where a million townspeople line the course cheering - about 4000 of them have cancer and 1000 will die before the next years edition.

Compared to the percentage of stupid people it certainly IS low lol.

And about 21m - who are vary aware of cancer - have never heard of Lance Armstrong. They live in a country that will never be part of Lance's world tour (exclusively held in rich nations, so long as there is a race worth attending and parking for the Gulfstream that allows an easy bypass of customs) and have an average income so low they will never contribute to any appearance fee.

Dave.

Polish said:

It IS low compared to this:

Estimates for the year 2006 are that 81,100,000 people in the United States have one or more forms of cardiovascular disease (CVD).

High blood pressure — 73,600,000.
Coronary heart disease — 17,600,000.
Myocardial infarction (mi"o-KAR'de-al in-FARK'shun) (acute heart attack) — 8,500,000.
Angina pectoris (AN'jih-nah or an-JI'nah PEK'tor-is) (chest pain or discomfort caused by reduced blood supply to the heart muscle) — 10,200,000.
Stroke — 6,400,000.
Heart Failure — 5,800,000

17.6 million with heart disease in the US alone. Considering the US population hit 300 million around October 2006, that makes 27% of Americans with some sort of cardiovascular disease, and 6% with coronary heart disease. So yes, relatively speaking, .4% does seem somewhat lower than 6% or 27%.

And while not so dramatic a difference, these numbers are interesting too:
Claimed 831,272 lives in 2006 (final mortality) (34.3 percent of all deaths or 1 of every 2.9 deaths).
Other final 2006 mortality: total cancer 559,888; accidents 121,599; HIV (AIDS) 12,113.
Over 151,000 Americans killed by CVD in 2006 were under age 65.
2006 final death rates from CVD were 306.6 for white males and 422.8 for black males; for white females 215.5 and for black females 298.2. (Death rates are per 100,000 population. The rates listed use the year 2000 standard U.S. population as the base for age adjustment.)
From 1996 to 2006, death rates from CVD declined 29.2 percent.
In the same 10-year period the actual number of deaths declined 12.9 percent

US Cardiovascular Disease Statistics

May 26, 2010
Visit site
there will always be people out there who want to align their businesses with livewrong to get some rub from it. sad bastids. way of this stupid world.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
It's seems like just the same old stupid news from a few months ago, so I'm not sure why it popped up as something new. I initially thought that maybe this was a separate campaign but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I would have to agree with this assessment:
Lance Armstrong, Michelob Ultra Make Watered Down Web Series

I still don't see what the hell the "reward" is. WTF kind of BS are they pushing?
"Exercise is just fine, but if you really want to do it right, make sure you drink some horrible beer after your workout." Is that it?

That whole video "series" couldn't have been more contrived. I'm surprised they didn't have Phil and Paul doing commentary on that ride through the park.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
So livestrong dont like cancer but they dont mind liver failure and alcohol related deaths.

Should a health based foundation really be endorsing alcohol?

That's what the FRS is for. It's all about balance, you see.
It's all about balance. :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS