• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The blurred lines of Livestrong - the spin bike sham

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
JMBeaushrimp said:
Not bad... You can't fault anyone for wanting to feather their nest.

Although some sort of 'conflict of interest' commission might find that questionable. I'm not sure if anything like that exist in America, though. Based on the last couple of years, the global economic apocalypse, the buyouts, the 'too big to fail' reasoning, etc etc, I'm not sure anything like that actually does exist.

Damn, I should've got my MBA...

You didn't miss anything. They don't teach this at Biz school.

It is potentially overstating celebrity sport manager extraordinaire McCormack (or an overly negative slant), but this kind of 'street smart' stuff is "What they don't teach you at Harvard Business School".

Dave.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
CowboyTx said:
Scott Tinley scrapes the barrel. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2199
Scenario 3 is great, Cancer Research now? I'm impressed. Researching ways of getting money out of people may be.
what are you reading? I hope Scott can stick to teaching,writing and his art and photography the guy is and was very fast and quietly funny. I know there is nothing else to write about but maybe Taylor or one of the working women to pro bike racer or tri champion is what he should focus on.the end of the career chops at Lance are bad form. San Diego institution is going to be a full time sh!t slinger ? jus don't

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
amusing google ad :

smvv9h.jpg

If some of you have the time I think the following page is very worthy reading. Not to beat a dead horse but seeing this thread is about Armstrong I think the following part is most prevalent.....

What Not to Say to Someone With Cancer

Experts caution that when caring for someone with cancer, there are six things friends or family often say–in an attempt to be sympathetic, supportive, or encouraging — that can have just the opposite consequence: shutting down communication and making the person with cancer feel worse.

Psychiatrist Jeffrey Knajdl, director of psycho-oncology services at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska, points to these six common sayings to avoid, along with suggestions for what to say instead:

4. “We can beat this.”

In our rush to be supportive, it’s all too easy to fall back on such encouraging and inspirational messages. But they can give cancer patients a deep-seated feeling of failure. “I call this the Lance Armstrong syndrome, this idea that if you have the right fighting spirit you can overcome disease,” says Knajdl. “I admire Armstrong and he’s done great things to publicize cancer, but this idea that people can triumph over cancer with will power and an upbeat attitude is just crazy. There are all sorts of factors that contribute to why some people recover and some don’t. The truth is, some people just get lucky.”

http://myamazingfact.blogspot.com/2011/03/what-not-to-say-to-someone-with-cancer.html

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
If some of you have the time I think the following page is very worthy reading. Not to beat a dead horse but seeing this thread is about Armstrong I think the following part is most prevalent.....

What Not to Say to Someone With Cancer

Experts caution that when caring for someone with cancer, there are six things friends or family often say–in an attempt to be sympathetic, supportive, or encouraging — that can have just the opposite consequence: shutting down communication and making the person with cancer feel worse.

Psychiatrist Jeffrey Knajdl, director of psycho-oncology services at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska, points to these six common sayings to avoid, along with suggestions for what to say instead:

4. “We can beat this.”

In our rush to be supportive, it’s all too easy to fall back on such encouraging and inspirational messages. But they can give cancer patients a deep-seated feeling of failure. “I call this the Lance Armstrong syndrome, this idea that if you have the right fighting spirit you can overcome disease,” says Knajdl. “I admire Armstrong and he’s done great things to publicize cancer, but this idea that people can triumph over cancer with will power and an upbeat attitude is just crazy. There are all sorts of factors that contribute to why some people recover and some don’t. The truth is, some people just get lucky.”

http://myamazingfact.blogspot.com/2011/03/what-not-to-say-to-someone-with-cancer.html

This book by American and cancer-sufferer, Barbara Ehrenreich, also takes aim at the cult of positive thinking:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jan/09/barbara-ehrenreich-smile-lucy-ellmann

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/02/cancer-positive-thinking-barbara-ehrenreich

The second one here references Armstrong who claims, "cancer was the best thing that ever happened to me." I guess you need to view that quote in context, but it does sound quite odd, grotesque even.

Stingray34 said:
This book by American and cancer-sufferer, Barbara Ehrenreich, also takes aim at the cult of positive thinking:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jan/09/barbara-ehrenreich-smile-lucy-ellmann

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/02/cancer-positive-thinking-barbara-ehrenreich

The second one here references Armstrong who claims, "cancer was the best thing that ever happened to me." I guess you need to view that quote in context, but it does sound quite odd, grotesque even.

Interesting reading - I had read those last year in the newspaper real.... almost as interesting that a Livestrong Board Member is setting up a blog to "eliminate corporate taxes" at the same time that he's a fund manager. I do wonder how we'll pay for cancer care with ZERO corporate tax... I guess the individual tax payer will fund that or those that are sick and not insured.. this is of course if you pay tax... (Lance?)..... Gobsmacked.

http://www.eliminatecorporateincometax.com/

Blaine Rollins is a former portfolio manager of the Janus Fund and is a Board member of the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
Interesting reading - I had read those last year in the newspaper real.... almost as interesting that a Livestrong Board Member is setting up a blog to "eliminate corporate taxes" at the same time that he's a fund manager. I do wonder how we'll pay for cancer care with ZERO corporate tax... I guess the individual tax payer will fund that or those that are sick and not insured.. this is of course if you pay tax... (Lance?)..... Gobsmacked.

Blaine Rollins is a former portfolio manager of the Janus Fund and is a Board member of the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

Has Lance joined the dark side, that is, the American corporate far right? I'm guessing he can't be far off given his predeliction for vulgar displays of power.

I'd like to put Blaine Rollins in a dark, noisy room with Henry Rollins for 20 mins. Then he'd know the meaning of hardcore.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Stingray34 said:

It gave him the excuse to create the myth about the athlete who fought and defeated cancer while changing the shape of his body to turn himself into this amazing GT winner and all the while enriching himself on the fact that millions believed the lie, so now he is a multi millionaire based on his myth of beating cancer and bringing the same 'healing' via awareness to the masses......as Lemond said 'the greatest fraud in the history of sport'.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

He is not the only board member to do naughty things.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
how many of Wonderboy's friends have fractured their marriages trying to keep up with his nocturnal activities? Hmmm

Ok, I will take a bite at your troll post....

How many Wonderboy friends have fractured their marriages.....
Hmmm....

Answer - 500,000?

Answer - We don't know because Lance flushed the answer down the toilet?

Answer - Novitzsky knows but he isn't talking?

Americans aren't happy, they're just trained to look as if they are. It's fake orgasm on a grand scale, and we're almost deafened by the din.

Replace Americans with fanboys, and there you have it.

On the subject of postitive attitude and healing, I tend to believe attitude has little to do with the end result but a positive attitude certainly makes the illness easier to live with for the victim and their entourage. (Nothing to do with the Livestrong rah rah awareness hype though.)

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Big tobacco is starting to giving him a pasting... they have their own public strategies department who post on internet forums...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110305...tick_20_million_cigarette_tax_on_california_1

That is epic what Lance is doing in proposing the buck a pack ciggie tax in Cali. He will never pull off the tax because the tobacco lobbies are to strong, but he is making a step in the right direction.
He is also right about California in general, we are ahead of the learning curve and generally the world follows us.
When California makes a move, the world observes. We are the world trend setters!

Now is wonderboy truly doing something good,a nd looking to get credits for it, or is there more?
I've got 10 bucks saying that he's pre-negotiated LiveStrong support deals with the largest research facilities. Of those near-billion a year, for one state, he'll surely see some "donations", or "consultations" coming back his way. What does he care if it takes the taxpayer 1bln for him to land 1mio? It being to discourage smoking, he's looking good doing it. Win-win. It's what winners do.

Cig prices are huge in Europe, but do little in the way of discouraging smoking. Even kids on allowance are doing it.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Now is wonderboy truly doing something good,a nd looking to get credits for it, or is there more?
I've got 10 bucks saying that he's pre-negotiated LiveStrong support deals with the largest research facilities. Of those near-billion a year, for one state, he'll surely see some "donations", or "consultations" coming back his way. What does he care if it takes the taxpayer 1bln for him to land 1mio? It being to discourage smoking, he's looking good doing it. Win-win. It's what winners do.

Cig prices are huge in Europe, but do little in the way of discouraging smoking. Even kids on allowance are doing it.

Hey, if you need your tobacco so bad just go and grow it! To indulge in the pleasure and habit of smoking, hey just get a little plot going. Screw big tobacco.

thehog said:
Big tobacco is starting to giving him a pasting... they have their own public strategies department who post on internet forums...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110305...tick_20_million_cigarette_tax_on_california_1

Cannot believe I would ever find myself on the side of the tobacco industry. Perhaps that is what Gunderson is hoping for. Separating the lesser of evils here is challenging.

However, Wonderboy is not going to rid us of cancer sticks, he is just trying to join the line of those who profit from them. That makes it more evil.

This part was funny, "Texas landowner Lance Armstrong".

Don't say I didn't tell you so.

They could have added, 'and the single largest water consumer in the City of Austin'. Draining the Colorado to make puddles in your driveway doesn't save the world. In fact, it steals water from thirsty Californians who have laws against excessive water use.

Lance Armstrong is said to be a Texas resident. Why does he campaign for an increase in the California cigarette tax? Why not launch this effort in Texas?

California AB32 was defeated in the last election, and was principally supported by two oil cos from Texas. Nobody likes being told what to do by somebody from somewhere else.

Texan go home?

Dave.

flicker said:
Hey, if you need your tobacco so bad just go and grow it! To indulge in the pleasure and habit of smoking, hey just get a little plot going. Screw big tobacco.

I'm all for screwing big tobacco, heck, I seriously detest small Joe ruining the air I breath (I'm asthmatic). But the clean air will still taste hugely bitter if Lance gets any fraction of dough from the ones that collect the money involuntarily. He'd better donate a million worth of PR costs by his mates at PS to boost the anti-tobacco lobby. Yet, modesty is his least character trait.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Cannot believe I would ever find myself on the side of the tobacco industry. Perhaps that is what Gunderson is hoping for. Separating the lesser of evils here is challenging.

However, Wonderboy is not going to rid us of cancer sticks, he is just trying to join the line of those who profit from them. That makes it more evil.

This part was funny, "Texas landowner Lance Armstrong".

Don't say I didn't tell you so.

They could have added, 'and the single largest water consumer in the City of Austin'. Draining the Colorado to make puddles in your driveway doesn't save the world. In fact, it steals water from thirsty Californians who have laws against excessive water use.

California AB32 was defeated in the last election, and was principally supported by two oil cos from Texas. Nobody likes being told what to do by somebody from somewhere else.

Texan go home?

Dave.

It is a sin to waste water. I think there is a law that the water on the west side of the great divide is only to be used on the west side of the great divide, conversely eastern water flowing off the rockies is to be meant to be used by eastern states and users.
However my Lance is a villan for wasting water. No, no Lance. You cannot waste water even if it is owned by the biggest oil man in Tehas, ripping off the Oglala Aquifier Underground river source. Yes big oil owns the mid-western aquifier.

Cloxxki said:
I'm all for screwing big tobacco, heck, I seriously detest small Joe ruining the air I breath (I'm asthmatic). But the clean air will still taste hugely bitter if Lance gets any fraction of dough from the ones that collect the money involuntarily. He'd better donate a million worth of PR costs by his mates at PS to boost the anti-tobacco lobby. Yet, modesty is his least character trait.

Who actually gets to pay this tax?

Just imagine how many lung cancer sufferers are going to be happy with an extra $1/pack. Their money diverted to Cancer research instead of their hospital bills.

Not like they don't have some excessive bills to pay.

Tax the weak. Tax the suffering.

Lance, the master of ripping off cancer victims.

Dave.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Cannot believe I would ever find myself on the side of the tobacco industry...

Maybe Ted Bundy has a good point.....

The Asbestos lobby makes sense in this case....