• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Caleb Ewan Thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Given how well Simon did in the Giro it makes good sence for the team to go 100% for Adam also with the chance for Ewan to win a stage being slim in a very strong sprinterfield. And also if Ewan is leaving the team it makes extra sence since the experience Ewan gets from the race wont help the team now. But when the team has promissed Ewan and his helpers to go to TDF and be prioritized all year long, all that logic really does not matter, and its a really ugly decision.

>Ewan hasn't beaten anyone since he didn't win at MSR.
>Yates was best climber in Dauphine.
>Michelton gain time in TTT by dropping Ewan.
>Also gain support for the rest of the race.
>Ewan was leaving anyway.

I like the little fella, but he's too high maintenance, and I'd be surprised if Yates isn't on the podium.

MADRAZO said:
Given how well Simon did in the Giro it makes good sence for the team to go 100% for Adam also with the chance for Ewan to win a stage being slim in a very strong sprinterfield. And also if Ewan is leaving the team it makes extra sence since the experience Ewan gets from the race wont help the team now. But when the team has promissed Ewan and his helpers to go to TDF and be prioritized all year long, all that logic really does not matter, and its a really ugly decision.

Yeah, I think that's right. My take on it is that A.Yates is putting out some great numbers, and so with the reduction in team size + TTT, MS has hatched a plan to get him on the podium. He's a good enough rider to commit a team to.

But for a sprinter the tdf is the pinnacle, and Ewan has shown more than enough over the last two seasons to totally deserve having a crack, at least with one or two lead out men. What would piss me off if I was Ewan is the fact that the Giro had a really weak sprint field - Viviani + Bennett took them all - which was something like 7 all up. He would have snagged at least a few of those, but was instead building for a non-existent thing.

The Hegelian said:
MADRAZO said:

Yeah, I think that's right. My take on it is that A.Yates is putting out some great numbers, and so with the reduction in team size + TTT, MS has hatched a plan to get him on the podium. He's a good enough rider to commit a team too.

But for a sprinter the tdf is the pinnacle, and Ewan has shown more than enough over the last two seasons to totally deserve having a crack, at least with one or two lead out men. What would piss me off if I was Ewan is the fact that the Giro had a really weak sprint field - Viviani + Bennett took them all - which was something like 7 all up. He would have snagged at least a few of those, but was instead building for a non-existent thing.

Yep. They really screwed him. I'm assuming he is livid.

Re: Re:

yaco said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
I noticed the owner of Aquablue criticising Mitchelton Scott on twitter over this and thought Christ that guy never saw a row he didn’t want to get involved in. But it turns out Ewan is married to his daughter.

Expect a tweet soon from Richie Porte - NO love lost between him and MS - Yet Aussies are desperate for MS to sign Porte.
MS are simply never going to sign Porte and pretty much everyone that half knows cycling in Australia knows this.

This thread has no validity until Dirk Provin makes a reappearance - Apparently Ewan found out a few hours before the press release, so it was a last minute decision - The media in Australia is taking great interest in the Ewan development and it may be a stressful visit for White at the next TDU.

Will add that Porte has been openly critical of MS racing decisions in the past - In saying that, MS highly respect Porte's ability as a cyclist but don't believe he is the smartest tool in the shed.

LaFlorecita said:
yaco said:
- Apparently Ewan found out a few hours before the press release, so it was a last minute decision - .
Not necessarily. We know sometimes riders even only find out they're not selected once the lineup goes public. I doubt such an important decision is made just hours before the team is made public.

Don't take my words literally - It was a last minute decision in the sense that Ewan rode T.O.C and Slovenie and then the decision was made - I feel sorry for his lead-out riders like Kluge and Mezgec whose hard work has gone down the drain - Funniest thing is I got info just after the Giro that Nieve was a chance to ride the TDF, and my thought was he could replace Howson who's had an injury affected season - So maybe Management was thinking of the change in late May - Anyway Matt White has 'big balls' because he is and will take enormous flack from the Australian media.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
So, will he ride the Vuelta? I assume not since it seems they will send the whole GC squad to La Vuelta, maybe he could even demand a mid season change?

No chance - The Vuelta squad will be interesting because there are a few talented riders like Mezgec/Verona/Kluge/Trentin/Albasini who have yet to ride a GT in 2018 -Ewan's schedule for the remainder of 2018 will be something like Tour of Poland, Tour of Britain, Ride London, Euro Eyes Classic, Bretagne Classic etc - Now if he has to ride the Tour of Utah he is then in the hen house.

yaco said:
Valv.Piti said:
So, will he ride the Vuelta? I assume not since it seems they will send the whole GC squad to La Vuelta, maybe he could even demand a mid season change?

No chance - The Vuelta squad will be interesting because there are a few talented riders like Mezgec/Verona/Kluge/Trentin/Albasini who have yet to ride a GT in 2018 -Ewan's schedule for the remainder of 2018 will be something like Tour of Poland, Tour of Britain, Ride London, Euro Eyes Classic, Bretagne Classic etc - Now if he has to ride the Tour of Utah he is then in the hen house.
Add Ewan +2 others to that list and you’d have a pretty good stage-hunting squad going to a Vuelta that you’d have to reckon will be similarly light on sprinting talent to how the Giro was this year.

Leinster said:
yaco said:
Valv.Piti said:

Add Ewan +2 others to that list and you’d have a pretty good stage-hunting squad going to a Vuelta that you’d have to reckon will be similarly light on sprinting talent to how the Giro was this year.

Trentin is fit and he will be the sprinter.

Interesting that most seem to be taking Ewan's side on this, without knowing all of the background. MS have obviously invested heavily in Ewan, but it seems his head's been turned by the advances of other teams. If White's simply rewarding loyalty, I'd say that's admirable. And he's certainly got a lot of credit in the bank for the way he's run MS over the past few seasons. My guess is they'll have a successful Tour.

TRENDING THREADS