• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Caleb Ewan Thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Strawberry_Jams said:
Has anyone noticed how Ewan seems to constantly sprint away/on the other side from everyone else? Which usually means he spends way too long in the wind compared to the rest. I've got this feeling that he just thinks he's better than everyone and that he can do it in his own lowdown style (which I don't think really works that well). Either that or he doesn't feel confident enough to be prepared to lose by getting boxed in and wants to get out as soon as possible. Whatever the reason its not really working and if I was a fan of him I'd start to get annoyed.

Sometimes it works because they get a clear run and don't have to go around other riders. Plenty of sprinters do the same. It's just about positioning in the final two hundred metres. Of course with a headwind it wouldn't be so sensible.

An inform Ewan will be a chance to win a stage at the TDF- He can get over a lumpy finale similar to the second stage Valverde won at the 2018 Vuelta - Apparently he was direct in informing the team of the program he wants for 2019 - His trick is to make sure he peaks at the right time ashe isn't the type of rider who can hold his peak for long.

Re:

yaco said:
An inform Ewan will be a chance to win a stage at the TDF- He can get over a lumpy finale similar to the second stage Valverde won at the 2018 Vuelta - Apparently he was direct in informing the team of the program he wants for 2019 - His trick is to make sure he peaks at the right time ashe isn't the type of rider who can hold his peak for long.
Old news, I know.. but Ewan can't win on a finish like that. The Alcalá de Guadaira finale was 750 m but only at 4%.

The finish where Valverde defeated Sagan (a better climber than Ewan) was the same length but 6.7% with the final gradients being the steepest. Huge difference.

But I do think Ewan can win on Hatta Dam. It's short enough for him to still be powerful.

Apparently Ewan will bypass the Criterium at the Aussie National's to focus on the RR in which he has a chance - He's got stronger each year and it's a pity he has no idea how to ride on cobbles - Perfect sprint finish for Ewan is 3 to 4% for the last 500 metres.

Koronin said:
yaco said:
Tim Booth said:
riding Giro and Tour

A bit of a surprise as Ewan can't hold his peaks for long periods - Think the TDF/Vuelta would have been a better option - The tougher sprint finishes in the Vuelta suit his characteristics.

That is a bit surprising.

Anyway Ewan will be doing 85 race days this year which is well up on his average of 55 days.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ewan-takes-first-uci-win-with-lotto-soudal-on-hatta-dam/

That guy weighs 67 kgs??

I always thought the reason he was so terrible on the cobbles was that he was tiny. But he is 5-6 kgs heavier than Valverde who goes great on the cobbles. Also heavier than Nibali and Fuglsang.

I would have thought he was lighter. But then again, I'm not really a part of the Cyclingnews Forum Weight Watchers Committee (there seriously are three double letters in that word?!).

Re:

tobydawq said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ewan-takes-first-uci-win-with-lotto-soudal-on-hatta-dam/

That guy weighs 67 kgs??

I always thought the reason he was so terrible on the cobbles was that he was tiny. But he is 5-6 kgs heavier than Valverde who goes great on the cobbles. Also heavier than Nibali and Fuglsang.

I would have thought he was lighter. But then again, I'm not really a part of the Cyclingnews Forum Weight Watchers Committee (there seriously are three double letters in that word?!).

Riding good on cobbles probably has a lot to do with technique and having the engine/endurance. Ewan is also just 24, he could still improve. Like seen today. Not many thought he could be able to win that.

yaco said:
Koronin said:
yaco said:
Tim Booth said:
riding Giro and Tour

A bit of a surprise as Ewan can't hold his peaks for long periods - Think the TDF/Vuelta would have been a better option - The tougher sprint finishes in the Vuelta suit his characteristics.

That is a bit surprising.

Anyway Ewan will be doing 85 race days this year which is well up on his average of 55 days.

Some things is always a first. He been pro for a few years now though, but we will see if it affects him.

Re:

yaco said:
As a junior in Australia, Ewan won an ITT title and was about the best climber - Allbeit that juniors are different to seniors - Ewan has shown no capacity to ride on cobbles which is a shame - Some riders just can't do it.
Ewan wasn't about the best climber, there were a good few guys better than him. He was good enough to make it to most finishes though

https://twitter.com/VelonCC/status/1101062025298485254

xMpTgOp.png

Re:

yaco said:
As a junior in Australia, Ewan won an ITT title and was about the best climber - Allbeit that juniors are different to seniors - Ewan has shown no capacity to ride on cobbles which is a shame - Some riders just can't do it.

Good cobbles riders tend to be much heavier than Ewan though some climbers seem to do okay on them. McEwen never had much success on the cobbles either and he was bigger than Caleb. Of course it's not just about weight.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
yaco said:

Good cobbles riders tend to be much heavier than Ewan though some climbers seem to do okay on them. McEwen never had much success on the cobbles either and he was bigger than Caleb. Of course it's not just about weight.
I think in McEwens book he said he didn’t really
Learn how to surf a peloton until Caden Evans showed him how, but by that time his career was already 3/4 over

Re: Re:

Scarponi said:
movingtarget said:
yaco said:

I think in McEwens book he said he didn’t really
Learn how to surf a peloton until Caden Evans showed him how, but by that time his career was already 3/4 over

How odd. McEwen was always a good bike handler and never needed a sprint train.

TRENDING THREADS