The Caleb Ewan Thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Scarponi said:
movingtarget said:
yaco said:
As a junior in Australia, Ewan won an ITT title and was about the best climber - Allbeit that juniors are different to seniors - Ewan has shown no capacity to ride on cobbles which is a shame - Some riders just can't do it.
Good cobbles riders tend to be much heavier than Ewan though some climbers seem to do okay on them. McEwen never had much success on the cobbles either and he was bigger than Caleb. Of course it's not just about weight.
I think in McEwens book he said he didn’t really
Learn how to surf a peloton until Caden Evans showed him how, but by that time his career was already 3/4 over
You've got it back to front. Evans struggled with riding in the peloton until McEwen showed him how to read it and move up without wasting energy.

Re:

The Hegelian said:
With that kind of win, thoughts on Ewan going in a more puncheur direction?
Idk. I think you have to factor in that there had been no other climbs on the stage and the last climb was only a couple of hundred meters. And he was good positioned going into the climb.

Great effort that he was able to win. But I dont think he would have much success going in a puncheur direction.

Re: Re:

Salvarani said:
The Hegelian said:
With that kind of win, thoughts on Ewan going in a more puncheur direction?
Idk. I think you have to factor in that there had been no other climbs on the stage and the last climb was only a couple of hundred meters. And he was good positioned going into the climb.

Great effort that he was able to win. But I dont think he would have much success going in a puncheur direction.
True as that may be, he has ridden well on hilly courses before. Florence U23 WC's - a brutal circuit by any measure; I think he got 2nd or something. Has also ridden okay at the Aust nats, which is a long way from a being a sprinters parcours.

I think that if his engine grows with age, it is certainly possible. A big if though.....

ASK THE COMMUNITY