• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Caleb Ewan Thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Message from Caleb

w1CaKnT.png

I'm inclined to believe this. The previous stage was not that difficult and today would have been a good chance for him. No real reason why he couldn't just wait until the rest day unless he actually did have some small injury. Now I do believe that the injury in question could be exaggerated but that he really really did not want to take any risks.

Reactions: RedheadDane
With Merlier out too, what do we think of Caleb dropping out?

I think it's fair enough that Ewan drops out, and I understand his reasons for doing it. I think the difference between him and Merlier is, Merlier and his DS weren't telegraphing it beforehand, and letting everyone know they were thinking of ditching early to focus on the Tour.

With Merlier out too, what do we think of Caleb dropping out?

I think it's fair enough that Ewan drops out, and I understand his reasons for doing it. I think the difference between him and Merlier is, Merlier and his DS weren't telegraphing it beforehand, and letting everyone know they were thinking of ditching early to focus on the Tour.
In Merlier's case we can be pretty certain that there really was something wrong with his stomach. Why else would he do a Dumoulin? It's likely that Ewan really had trouble with his knee, but it just felt a bit funny that he abandoned the day after he won his second stage, and that the team was pretty much announcing it beforehand.

In Merlier's case we can be pretty certain that there really was something wrong with his stomach. Why else would he do a Dumoulin? It's likely that Ewan really had trouble with his knee, but it just felt a bit funny that he abandoned the day after he won his second stage, and that the team was pretty much announcing it beforehand.
Why else? Well for exactly the same reasons Ewan is doing a Pinot; and so he doesn't get home to Kortrijk to find the whole Merckx family banging on his door calling him a quitter.

Only the riders themselves know if they genuinely can't continue, or, if this were the last GT of the season, with the carrot of a parade stage into a capital city at the end, whether they'd suck it up and get over those mountains and go for the win.

• Haha
Reactions: Escarabajo
"Ewan, if you take a very close look into your heart... Your body... Feel it... feel every sizzle, every pulse, every breath... now think of your legs... do you feel it... Don't you feel it, Ewan...?"
"I think I... there might be something in my knee..."
"Yeah...?"
"Yeah, maybe... maybe if the stage tomorrow is not 15kph, or if there is a hill... or someone in front of me..."
"Yeah...?"
"I think I might not be able to make it."

Lol, I'm totally fine with him leaving. It would be nicer if he had stayed, but hey, no big deal.

• Love
Reactions: Lequack
No problem with him leaving early.... But I don't really think winning a stage in each GT by just racing the start of them is actually that impressive a feat..... Although personally I think he'll try and finish the tour and the Vuelta which would be definitely be impressive.

"Ewan, if you take a very close look into your heart... Your body... Feel it... feel every sizzle, every pulse, every breath... now think of your legs... do you feel it... Don't you feel it, Ewan...?"
"I think I... there might be something in my knee..."
"Yeah...?"
"Yeah, maybe... maybe if the stage tomorrow is not 15kph, or if there is a hill... or someone in front of me..."
"Yeah...?"
"I think I might not be able to make it."

Lol, I'm totally fine with him leaving. It would be nicer if he had stayed, but hey, no big deal.

Team doctor (with medical hammer): *WHACK! *
Ewan: Okay... now my knee hurts...

(Please remember, I did not have violent habits!)

Reactions: Andy262 and Lequack
I'm not sure what CE was thinking there:
-JP and TM had the best/fastest line and there was no way that CE could go inside of them ('odd bump' in the fence).
-He was too focused on getting past PS, and in so doing took a line that gave him no chance of winning.
-...and he ended up going down and taking PS with him.
-I haven't seen the official repot, but he might be in concussion protocol.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm not sure what CE was thinking there:
-JP and TM had the best/fastest line and there was no way that CE could go inside of them ('odd bump' in the fence).
-He was too focused on getting past PS, and in so doing took a line that gave him no chance of winning.
-...and he ended up going down and taking PS with him.
-I haven't seen the official repot, but he might be in concussion protocol.

In a sprint you are not thinking, its about instincts, and reactions and luck. A split second call by Caleb turned out to be the wrong call. Pretty much every top sprinter in living memory have all made similar errors. If you don't take risks you won't win many sprints. Its about the mindset.

In a sprint you are not thinking, its about instincts, and reactions and luck. A split second call by Caleb turned out to be the wrong call. Pretty much every top sprinter in living memory have all made similar errors. If you don't take risks you won't win many sprints. Its about the mindset.
I was using 'what was CE thinking' figuratively. His instincts were poor today. Even if he would have been the front guy his line was not good, but being 3rd wheel (compounded by 1 and 2 being team mates). IMO, this wasn't taking a 'risk to win' because there was no way through even if he doesn't go down. I still say that he was so focused on getting inside of PS that he blew the rest.

He is out of the TdF with a clavicle fracture.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS