• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Cav SKY drama

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Thought maybe this should get its own thread.

So SKY wants Cav

Cav wants to be paid well to ride bikes - fair enough

Cav wants to get paid by sponsors to use their equipment - fair enough

Cav and SKY have different sponsors - namely Adidas- Nike and Specialized - Pinarello.

what are options

SKY changes their Sponsors for 1 rider.

Cav gets a special deal where he wears and rides what he wants except Shoes be a 1st as far as I know

Does not ride for SKY

Losses his sponsors money for a year at least.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Cav seals the deal with Pinarello and Nike what brings to a happy end in the story which gets sillier and sillier day after day :D

I think it's all about money. Cav knows no matter what he'll be one of the top paid cyclists next year, so I'm guessing he's trying to pressure Sky into giving him a better deal. I don't believe it has anything to do with Nike or Spezialised or anything like that, all of that can be solved with cash.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
Actually I don't really think this should have it's own topic since there's this nice transfer thread, but I might be wrong :)

Maybe but then the transfers get lost in the extended Cav discussion but what do I know :D

Kvinto said:
Cav seals the deal with Pinarello and Nike what brings to a happy end in the story which gets sillier and sillier day after day :D

That would be great Nike - Black tops with a yellow swoosh and bands on the sleeves - TSF would love it ;)

Shoes and jerseys are different I guess. If I'm Adidas I would be asking Sky "what the hell am I paying you for if your most identifyable rider is wearing Nike?". That's not like putting your favourite saddle on your bike regardless of who sponsors the team.

spalco said:
Shoes and jerseys are different I guess. If I'm Adidas I would be asking Sky "what the hell am I paying you for if your most identifyable rider is wearing Nike?". That's not like putting your favourite saddle on your bike regardless of who sponsors the team.

What if Cav is locked into his contracts with Nike & Oakley? I suppose they would be looking for a renumeration package then and that wont be cheap will it?

May 20, 2009
Visit site
MartinGT said:
What if Cav is locked into his contracts with Nike & Oakley? I suppose they would be looking for a renumeration package then and that wont be cheap will it?
I don't see how the Nike and Oakley deals are an issue as most riders have seperate shoe and glasses deals.
Contador wears a Giro helmet when the rest of the team wear Specalized, I can't help thinking that this can't be the hold up.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
MartinGT said:
Oh of course, isnt that what this is all about?

However, I dont think Cav is a man that is influenced that much about money. Now, dont get me wrong, we all like cash, but thats not his motivation IMO.

Interesting though

Except when he is not being paid what he thinks he is worth - remember the interviews from earlier in the year re HTC and his wages

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
SimonC said:
I don't see how the Nike and Oakley deals are an issue as most riders have seperate shoe and glasses deals.
Contador wears a Giro helmet when the rest of the team wear Specalized, I can't help thinking that this can't be the hold up.

Just what I was going to post, although I can see why Nike and Adidas would be unhappy with being on the same rider. Another thing is that Nike aren't even trying to sell cycling shoes.

A

Anonymous

just some guy said:
Except when he is not being paid what he thinks he is worth - remember the interviews from earlier in the year re HTC and his wages

And there is the problem, Cavendish wants to be paid what he thinks he is worth, and he wants that amount to increase in certain situations. for example he was getting paid the same at htc after winning five stages of the tour as he was before it (although assumedly there were bonus's)

The sponsors and bikes are a small part of it. Ultimately it should make little difference to cavendish what bike he rides, except for the fact that Spec are happy to pay him a lot of money to ride theirs. If he rides pinarello he loses out on that money, so can pinarello compensate him. Glasses and shoes arent an issue.

The big argument is over image rights. Sky want full image rights, in other words they (and their sponsors) want to retain the right to use Cav's image as they please. Cavendish wants to retain his own image rights so he can choose how and when his image is used (and get financial recompense for it), with sky only able to use his image in joint commercial deals with the team, ie, website, team advertising etc.

If sky own his image rights he can no longer advertise nike, specialized etc. If he retains them, he can still do adverts for nike wearing nike shirts, shorts etc he just cant race in them. This of course goes against most teams policy of riders wearing team kit all the time, when training etc etc. The likely comprimise on kit would be that Cav could wear his own kit in personal things etc and wear non sky nike branded kit when training.

Sky offered 2.5m with them retaining naming rights, which honestly, is a bit of a mickey take, they are asking for too much, and hoping that Cav will join based on nationality etc. Quickstep were happy to offer 4m but wether or not he retained his naming rights in that situation I dont know.

Compromise will be reached. Cav will wear Adidas kit on the bike, but do commercials for nike, and maybe even wear nike branding for non-team functions etc. But id be willing to bet he will have to take less than the 2.5m on offer. The bike issue will be harder, its not about what bike he rides (so branding a spec as a pinarello wont work), its about what the branding is on his bike. That will be down to pinarello to stump up the cash to get cavendish on board. The other option is for Adidas to cough up the cash that Nike currently do, but if that happens, Cav wants that to be a personal sponsorship from Adidas for which he is paid, outside of their sponsorship of the team. Adidas if they have any sense will do the deal. Its fairly common for people to switch brands, Nani and Alves is football both switched from Nike to Adidas last year, there was a hoo hah a few years ago when several college football teams switched allegiance.

cavendish has the right idea in principle after being underpaid at HTC, but he also has to be careful he doesnt join the wrong team on the basis of personal sponsors.

My hunch is hes been talking to and taking advice from Armstrong.

A

Anonymous

Something to bear in mind regarding Nike. They lost the deal to supply all of the ASO leaders shirts from next season onwards.

That may make them
a) more determined to keep Cavendish on board to hold some small part of cycling
b) make them just knock cycling sponsorship on the head altogether and focus on other sports.

TeamSkyFans said:
Something to bear in mind regarding Nike. They lost the deal to supply all of the ASO leaders shirts from next season onwards.

That may make them
a) more determined to keep Cavendish on board to hold some small part of cycling
b) make them just knock cycling sponsorship on the head altogether and focus on other sports.

I think in this case it will be the latter.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
just some guy said:

Is that Cav or his agent who does the negotiations. When sports 'stars' have agents it is the agents that do the negotiating and i imagine that is what is happening in Cav's case and it is taking longer due to tie ins with other sponsors and i imagine TeamSky are trying to get more from their sponsors due to trying to sign Cav. Business.

A

Anonymous

Benotti69 said:
Is that Cav or his agent who does the negotiations. When sports 'stars' have agents it is the agents that do the negotiating and i imagine that is what is happening in Cav's case and it is taking longer due to tie ins with other sponsors and i imagine TeamSky are trying to get more from their sponsors due to trying to sign Cav. Business.

His agents, the Wasserman group.

Whats really interesting is the date he signed with them.
http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/wasserman_signs_sprint_sensation_mark_cavendish/
September, shortly before the worlds
That will have caused a huge delay, in that suddenly Sky were having to deal with new people, although in reality sky would have been dealing with Wasserman for a while, it just wasnt announced till the 20th.

In fact, its likely that Wasserman were brought in late specifically and recommended to mark as his existing agent knew nothing about image rights and Sky needed to negotiate. Wasserman then delayed all talks to post world championships.

wasserman will broker a deal. They know his earning potential will be far greater as a british world champion on a british team, than it will be on a belgian team.\

And one small note: Who managed the deal between Radioshack, Armstrong and Capital Sports Entertainment back in 2009. You guessed it. Wasserman Media Group. All roads lead to Texas.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Isn't there a good chance that Nike will (continue to) do the kit for Radioschack? Their interests in cycling will still be strong minus Cav, plus Andy Schleck and Cancellara.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts