• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Clinic generating public discourse?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 21, 2010
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
though it has morphed into a somewhat different entity ...

:) :p :cool:

Indeed. Frequented by Posters only interested in baiting and shouting others down-but as of today, they've all been banned!! Yeah!!!

All the cool posters can come back now.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I don't think this place has done anything much. I think the internet in general is the difference. When i started watching cycling all i had was the eurosport coverage. There was was limited newspaper coverage but that tended to just stick to the results and question nothing - therefore i never saw anyone question what was going on. As the internet grew it was easier and easier to connect with other cycling fans, and many of those had much more knowledge than me of what was happening and opened my eyes.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

@NL_LeMondFans said:
SeriousSam said:
I think some of Those That Know Who They Are the Dawg complained about for inciting fans to poour Heineken at him may well be reading the clinic, and may well have been influenced by some of the discussion that happens here.

It's not necessary.
I've been riding in France all my life with different bikes and different outfits. I'm not even the competitive type, I am well overweight. Every now and then, I find a smart ass calling me a doper. Stupid people do not need some incentive. They're just very good at being stupid.

Nice story... get back once someone calls you giant A-hole after you've chased down and kicked poor italian guy from a breakaway. Even that was not enough some years ago and had to be "discussed".

The usual pathway is: first they laugh at the opponents (500 tests/f***ing w***ers), try smokescreens (6 hours in the saddle/marginal gains), produce hero PR image (cancer/badzilla), then they attack (lawsuits/pseudoscientists, etc), then try to "satisfy" them with something meaningless (early retirement/"power data")... and at the end there will be just damage limitation once it comes to the lawsuits (arranged "confessions" - saying nothing new).

The only difference is how ridiculous it gets during the "peak of invincibility". Like this Uniballer's "I'm on my bike, what are you on?" - that got beaten by nowadays' "etalons and proofs of clean cycling".

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Without knowing the facts of what it is about and whether it's even true or not, what you say on here or any social media platform can set you up for potential libel. We're not untouchable and that cannot be taken for granted. This was discussed on here before.

Twitter and social media carries a lot of influence in the modern sense of society.

I don't want to see Digger on the end of it, I'm sure it's tough for him personally.

It's just sport at the end of the day.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re:

gooner said:
Without knowing the facts of what it is about and whether it's even true or not, what you say on here or any social media platform can set you up for potential libel. We're not untouchable and that cannot be taken for granted. This was discussed on here before.

Twitter and social media carries a lot of influence in the modern sense of society.

I don't want to see Digger on the end of it, I'm sure it's tough for him personally.

You mean I probably shouldn't say that Hein Verbruggen was, in my opinion, a "pygmy tyrant"? :eek:
But what fun would that be?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Maxiton said:
TourOfSardinia said:

I only read his tweets off and on back when Floyd had so many twitter accounts. Who was he exactly?

a bunch of Floyds mennonite crew had the keys for the Gray Manrod lawyers account.

ok, I used a tad licence there, but Landis clique had access to his account, or Gray Manrod. And the twitter fake profiles.

I remember when Arnie Baker was posting cr@p over on Dailypeloton forums and I told him to stop spouting BS, and the account/handle just up and left. that was some weakwilled stuff. no defense. I remember them petitioning #rationalhead to come on board and be their boffin for their defense and the FDF, floyd defense fund.... good times those. many remember them with a fondness

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

gooner said:

thats sort of an ambiguous double negative... which has been co-opted/ or normalised in vernacular so people use that a rhetoric or their first choice when they engage in idiom.

also, without knowing the mathematics of Goedel or Godel n umlaut, the double negative does not aciomatically = positive, it can be on the spectrum towards positive

thnx

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Maxiton said:
gooner said:

You mean I probably shouldn't say that Hein Verbruggen was, in my opinion, a "pygmy tyrant"? :eek:

If Hein thinks it's libel, he has grounds for it. ;)

Back on this, it's fair game to question things but it's another thing to throw smears on baseless innuendo. I think this "everyone dopes" is a cop out and social media with this as its primary use is an abuse of power.

You can always go too far and it can catch up with you.

Oh and what a coward that Matt Cooke is. True colours shown.

May 14, 2010
Visit site

blackcat said:
Maxiton said:
TourOfSardinia said:

I only read his tweets off and on back when Floyd had so many twitter accounts. Who was he exactly?

a bunch of Floyds mennonite crew had the keys for the Gray Manrod lawyers account.

ok, I used a tad licence there, but Landis clique had access to his account, or Gray Manrod. And the twitter fake profiles.

I remember when Arnie Baker was posting cr@p over on Dailypeloton forums and I told him to stop spouting BS, and the account/handle just up and left. that was some weakwilled stuff. no defense. I remember them petitioning #rationalhead to come on board and be their boffin for their defense and the FDF, floyd defense fund.... good times those. many remember them with a fondness

Thanks. :D

gooner said:
Maxiton said:
gooner said:

If Hein thinks it's libel, he has grounds for it. ;)

Back on this, it's fair game to question things but it's another thing to throw smears on baseless innuendo. I think this "everyone dopes" is a cop out and social media with this as its primary use is an abuse of power.

You can always go too far and it can catch up with you.

Oh and what a coward that Matt Cooke is. True colours shown.

oh cr@p, I forgot to look at his twitter this week. he now has deleted all the tweets.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think like others have said people have a lot more information now than they have ever had and the information/social media age has really ballooned at the same time as a 20 year period of whole scale blood manipulation has come to light.

However information isn't always accurate and neither is the analysis of it - you only have to look at Western news outlets to work this out. So broadly speaking you either take what you are told as gospel, question some of it or question all of it. Or jump to conclusions based on nothing but a hunch.

Most sensible people draw their own conclusions and avid cycling fans are simply cynical to a lesser or greater degree after two decades of what have now been shown to be a 90% doped peloton. This cynicism is only compounded by the fact that since the BP in 2008, claims by riders and the UCI that the sport is cleaner have been shown to be total BS. The UCI has tried to draw a line under it with the CIRC (that was then this is now, we are all clean etc etc) and the public are like "nice try, you are clean when we as fans decide you are clean", hence the behaviour at the Tour by previously duped fans.

My personal view? I enjoy cycling in 2016 (not as much as I used to) but I see it for what it is - a Professional Circus. The reality is that in all walks of life (including sport) people are looking for an advantage, it doesn't make it right but it happens and it will always happen particularly if there is money involved.

If you look back through cycling, it has always been a magnet for eccentrics and unusual individuals and as a sport it operates within its own bizarre set of rules, rituals, etiquette and traditions. Take safety as one example, its unsafe not to have a race radio but its safe to hold onto a car doing 60kph??

The biggest problem I see in cycling is its obsession/dependency on medical assistance legal, illegal, banned or not banned. The smokescreen of "physiology" has further muddied the waters as it creates a grey area of what is "legal" but a the same time questionable.

Even the big "clean" teams are pushing the envelope of "cleanliness". You only have to see the furore around TUE's with Sky the other year and they Argos Shimano documentary with a physician brandishing a fistful of "legal" medication to get riders to the finish line each day.

Why does a team of 30 riders need 4 doctors when the average human being goes to the Dr once a year if that?
What would a healthy individual say if he saw inside the bag of a Pro-Tour teams doctor and said doctor explained the various uses of medicinal products?

These are the questions that Brian Cookson should be asking.

TRENDING THREADS