• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The current state of pro cycling - an appraisal

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A lot of Daam Van Reeth in there. Overall, it rather echos SIS's Stephen Moon's opinion of the sport. Fundamentally professional cycling is broken and stuck in an 80's time warp for any modern sponsor who would never look at value in the space on a jersey. I think SIS did some research and they said the jersey space was worthless to them as a company marketing exercise.

King Boonen said:
I had to stop reading the nonsense. It's like they just wanted to regurgitate all of the flawed ideas of the last few years and pretend no-one pointed out the problems.
It's a nightmare to read. Hard to believe Oliver Duggan was a real journalist. To me, the whole thing comes down to the Gifted Group's idea of six or seven years ago, package the sport as something you can sell to a private equity firm (F1's CVC, for instance) or ASO or Wang Jianlin, leaving all the crap bits with the UCI, and just paying lip-service to anti-doping, believing that imposing a narrative on the cycling season will distract people from doping. All the individual ideas - cut a week of the GTs, impose a narrative on the one-day season - you're right, they've all been floated before (I don't think I saw a single original idea in the whole manifesto).

Between this and Vaughters's impending chamoir, I fear we may be hearing a lot of this nonsense through July. I know there's nothing to really be bothered about, this is going nowhere, none of the key stakeholders are on board, this is something Rapha knocked up after talking to a few dozen mates (and sixteen - sixteen! - people from the Rapha-sponsored Canyon SRAM team), but God I just wish people would propose some practical ideas for once, improvements that actually have a chance of being implemented.

Re:

samhocking said:
Fundamentally professional cycling is broken and stuck in an 80's time warp for any modern sponsor who would never look at value in the space on a jersey. I think SIS did some research and they said the jersey space was worthless to them as a company marketing exercise.
A broken sponsorship model and yet Rapha sponsors 20+ of the 50-odd people they interviewed for the Roadmap. Putting their mouth where their money is.

TRENDING THREADS